Burgeoning homeless camps stymie Oakland leaders

Tent Cities Full Of Homeless People Are Booming In Cities All Over America As Poverty Spikes
Burgeoning homeless camps stymie Oakland leaders

sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Burgeoning-homeless-camps-stymie-Oakland-leaders-9158463.php

“Some of these encampments were not there three months ago,” said City Councilman Noel Gallo, who blames rising rents for pushing working-class families out onto the streets. He said the number of camps in his Fruitvale district has tripled in the past six months.

Increasingly, the tent cities are brushing up against Oakland’s gentrifying neighborhoods.

THE HOMELESS PROBLEM

A camp beneath a bridge at the estuary had to move to make way for an earthquake retrofit; its inhabitants are now scattered near a bike trail that runs along the waterfront. A camp that sprang up this year beneath an Interstate 580 overpass in West Oakland abuts what’s now a well-kept residential block of Magnolia Street.

The problem has been on the increase over the past few years where I live too. Sometimes hidden, but increasingly not. Near Doheny Beach in Dana Point many homeless live along the San Juan Creek riverbed and beneath the less seen freeway overpasses. In the shadow of the Big A along the Santa Ana River there’s a growing tent city too.

ocregister.com/articles/cross-715790-says-river.html

***People drive over the Jungle every day without noticing the squalor below. Credit Michael Hanson for The New York Times

nytimes.com/2016/03/02/us/seattle-homeless-jungle-camp.html

usccb.org/bible/readings/091816.cfm < This Sunday’s Catholic Liturgy emphasizes helping the poor and needy

Responsorial Psalm PS 113:1-2, 4-6, 7-8

He raises up the lowly from the dust;
from the dunghill he lifts up the poor
to seat them with princes,
with the princes of his own people.
R. Praise the Lord who lifts up the poor.

Praying for a better economy and a chance for all these people to be able to afford a decent place to live soon.

zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-12/tent-cities-full-homeless-people-are-booming-cities-all-over-america-poverty-spikes

But of course it isn’t just Portland that is experiencing this. The following list of major tent cities that have become so well-known and established that they have been given names comes from Wikipedia…

Camp Hope, Las Cruces, New Mexico [1]
Camp Quixote, Olympia, Washington State[2]
Camp Take Notice, Ann Arbor, Michigan[3]
Dignity Village, Portland, Oregon
Opportunity Village, Eugene, Oregon
Maricopa County Sheriff’s Tent City, Phoenix, Arizona
New Jack City and Little Tijuana, Fresno, California[2]
Nickelsville, located in Seattle[2][4]
Right 2 Dream Too, Portland, Oregon[5]
River Haven,[6] Ventura County, California[7][8]
Safe Ground, Sacramento, California[2]
The Jungle, San Jose, California[2]
Temporary Homeless Service Area (THSA), Ontario, California[2]
Tent City (100+ residents) of Lakewood, New Jersey[9][10]
Tent City, Avenue A and 13th Street, Lubbock, Texas[11]
Tent City, New Jersey forest[12]
Tent City, Bernalillo County, New Mexico[13]
Tent City, banks of the American River, Sacramento, California[14][15][16][17][18][19][20][21][22]
Tent City 3, Seattle
Tent City, Chicago, Illinois [1]
Tent City 4, eastern King County outside of Seattle
The Point, where the Gunnison River and Colorado River meet[23]
The Village of Hope and Community of Hope, Fresno, California[2]
Transition Park, Camden, New Jersey
Tent City, Fayette County, Tennessee, [2]
Camp Unity Eastside, Woodinville, WA [3]
China Hat Road, Bend, Oregon

Most of the time, those that establish tent cities do not want to be discovered because local authorities have a nasty habit of shutting them down and forcing homeless people out of the area.

Obvious to casual observer, this is alt-right propaganda. Pres. Obama has definitely said the economy is doing fine as we came out of recession 7 years ago, there is no inflation and unemployment is low.

You’re being sarcastic, yes? I hope. :eek:

:sad_yes: Especially that darn Psalm! :rolleyes:

It would be more alt-right propaganda had I posted an Obamaville meme (which are out there) or something similar. Poor Herbert Hoover got saddled with “Hoovervilles” in his time.

The San Francisco Bay Area has a lot of homelessness going on there … despite the fact that the area is not that economically depressed. Peruse the state jobs bank and note that the Bay Area has the lion’s share of opportunities vs. anywhere but Sacramento itself.

Yet on the streets of “the City” itself people spend the nights camped out on the sidewalks (saw this myself when we retrieved our car from a parking structure near the Bay Bridge not long ago), and in Silicon Valley.

motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/homelessness-data-silicon-valley-prediction-santa-clara < which even left leaning publications are noticing.

I suggest they all go commit felonies. They will be guaranteed housing and health care (hey, inadequate is better than none).

It will also cause more employment building more for-profit prisons – COs, administrators, &c not to mention the companies that gouge prisoners for commissaries and phone calls.
Not to mention that the public would rather pay for prisons than shelters.

Politics aside, what people are these??? Illegal immigrants, drug users, mentally Ill??

Perhaps. But they might just be normal people fallen on hard times.

It’s best to assume so.

**Matt 25:34 **Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,

36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’

37 Then the righteous 16 will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?

38 When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?

39 When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’

40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’

This is all due to the ridiculous cost of housing in southern CA, in reality, this area should be one of the cheapest places to live, considering the potential for natural disasters alone, but I guess perfect year round weather has a larger impact on cost of living than many people think!

Hollywood drives up the costs of everything in southern CA, don’t you think? There are a lot of people who earn big bucks who have all the best property, but it raises property values for everyone, as well. I wouldn’t live there. I’d rather live in 20 below temps than be pushed out of my home due to the needs and desires of a few well-heeled celebrities.

Human beings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.