Burial in sacred ground for salvation?

I recall hearing occasional references to a supposed Catholic belief that one has to be buried in “sacred ground” (what would constitute this?) for the soul to reach Heaven. Does anyone know anything about this belief, or is it just some old superstition?

[quote=CollegeKid]I recall hearing occasional references to a supposed Catholic belief that one has to be buried in “sacred ground” (what would constitute this?) for the soul to reach Heaven. Does anyone know anything about this belief, or is it just some old superstition?
[/quote]

The Highlander cannot fight any of his kind on sacred ground. I think one is also safe from vampires and werewolves.

On a more serious note, sacred ground is something that goes back thousands of years in many religions. It has a powerful hold on the general psyche.

The requirement for salvation is to die in a state of grace. Consult the Catechism.

From the new Code of Canon Law:

**CHAPTER V.

CEMETERIES**

Can. 1240 §1. Where possible, the Church is to have its own cemeteries or at least areas in civil cemeteries that are designated for the deceased members of the faithful and properly blessed.

§2. If this cannot be achieved, however, then individual graves are to be properly blessed.

Can. 1241 §1. Parishes and religious institutes can have their own cemetery.

§2. Other juridic persons or families can also have a special cemetery or tomb, to be blessed according to the judgment of the local ordinary.

Can. 1242 Bodies are not to be buried in churches unless it is a question of burying in their own church the Roman Pontiff, cardinals, or diocesan bishops, including retired ones.

Can. 1243 Particular law is to establish appropriate norms about the discipline to be observed in cemeteries, especially with regard to protecting and fostering their sacred character.
vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P4L.HTM

[quote=5-Decades-a-Day]The requirement for salvation is to die in a state of grace. Consult the Catechism.
[/quote]

Agreed. I was confused because of the aformentioned references I’ve heard of the need to be buried “in sacred ground” to be saved, which seems like an addition to the requirement to die in a state of grace. I’d like a response to my original question.

[quote=Fidelis]From the new Code of Canon Law:
[/quote]

So does any of this mean that you have to be buried in “sacred ground” to reach Heaven? It doesn’t seem so, but I need clarification.

[quote=CollegeKid]So does any of this mean that you have to be buried in “sacred ground” to reach Heaven? It doesn’t seem so, but I need clarification.
[/quote]

Good grief, how could it be a prerequisite to reach heaven—think of soldiers who die on the battlefield and aren’t found; those who are lost at sea; etc. etc. No, it’s preferable to be buried in a place set aside for these things, because of the respect we have for the bodies of persons. But to reach heaven? As someone else has already mentioned, you need to be in a state of grace to reac heaven.

[quote=CollegeKid]So does any of this mean that you have to be buried in “sacred ground” to reach Heaven? It doesn’t seem so, but I need clarification.
[/quote]

Think about it. Are you really suggesting that people who are in a state of grace who get killed in a plane crash over the ocean and whose bodies are lost at sea cannot go to Heaven?? Where you die and lie is not relevant. As other posters have told you it is whether you are in a state of grace or not which matters!!

[quote=Sherlock]Good grief, how could it be a prerequisite to reach heaven—think of soldiers who die on the battlefield and aren’t found; those who are lost at sea; etc. etc. No, it’s preferable to be buried in a place set aside for these things, because of the respect we have for the bodies of persons. But to reach heaven? As someone else has already mentioned, you need to be in a state of grace to reac heaven.
[/quote]

Not to mention Saint Jeanne d’Arc. She was burned at the stake and her ashes cast into a river.

Thanks everybody.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.