Burke: “There is a strong sense that the Church is like a ship without a helm”

vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the-vatican/detail/articolo/sinodo-famiglia-37234/

Burke: “There is a strong sense that the Church is like a ship without a helm”

In an interview with Spanish weekly “Vida Nueva” the Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura hits out again, describing the Church as a “counter-cultural movement that is not popular”

ANDREA TORNIELLI
VATICAN CITY

After his criticisms about the Synod being manipulated and censored, the Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura, Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke, is continuing to raise concerns – in an increasingly distressed tone – about the direction the Church is taking, criticising the Pope, whilst at the same time claiming he does not wish it seem like he is speaking out against he Pope.” His latest interview with Darío Menor Torres was published by Spanish religious news weekly Vida Nueva.

“Many have expressed their concerns to me. At this very critical moment, there is a strong sense that the Church is like a ship without a helm, whatever the reason for this may be; now, it is more important than ever to examine our faith, have a healthy spiritual leader and give powerful witness to the faith.”

(Read the rest there)

It’s comforting to see Cardinal Burke beginning to say what many of us have been thinking for the last year or so.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

This seems like nothing more than gossip and scandal to me, very tabloid-ish. I will avoid it.

My thoughts as well. Also, as Burke’s influence at the Vatican is waning, as evidenced by his pending reassignment, perhaps his comments are fueled by disappointment about his personal situation. So I don’t lend much credence to the contents on the article.

MODERATOR NOTICE

If this thread attacks either Pope Francis or Cardinal Burke directly or indirectly it will be closed

This thread has already attacked the Holy Father…The Pope is the helm that steers Mother Church, so Cardinal Burke, indirectly has attacked the Pope.

Close it down, please!

1. First, let’s read the quote in context:

I fully respect the Petrine ministry and I do not wish it to seem like I am speaking out against the Pope. I would like to be a master of the faith, with all my weaknesses, telling a truth that many currently perceive. They are feeling a bit sea sick because they feel the Church’s ship has lost its bearings. We need to set aside the reason for this disorientation because we have not lost our bearings. We have the enduring tradition of the Church, its teachings, the liturgy, its morality. The catechism remains the same.”

“The Pope rightly speaks of the need to go out to the peripheries,” the Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura said. “The people have responded very warmly to this. But we cannot go to the peripheries empty-handed. We go with the Word of God, with the Sacraments, with the virtuous life of the Holy Spirit. I am not saying the Pope does this, but there is a risk of the encounter with culture being misinterpreted. Faith cannot adapt to culture but , must call to it to convert. We are a counter-cultural movement, not a popular one.”

Therefore, the statement that sounded “divisive” wasn’t, really. It was a “hook” to call us together, reaffirm that the Deposit of Faith is still sound, and a call to minister unto others only after we are prepared to do so.

1. I would like to read another translation, or at least ask if anyone here is able to find the original and translate it.

2. The media is gossip-mongering with a broad tagline. For shame, because THAT spurs on division.

That isn’t quite what the article goes on to say.

I’d say that were true if Burke said the Church was like a ship without a captain.

He does seem to be walking a very fine line. But it seems to me he is trying to limit his commentary to people’s perceptions rather than the reality.

A lot of people in the Church share the concerns of Cardinal Burke. The intent is not to be divisive. I, for one, am very relieved and thankful to hear this expressed.

It would be good not to speak in such a disrespectful way to speak of a Cardinal of The Catholic Church!

MODERATOR:
Please note that the post of Mulligan2 is disrespectful of Cardinal Burke. How can I report this?

You may have noticed that the Moderator (post # 7) would already have noticed Mulligan2’s comments (post # 6). :rolleyes:

Personal experiences often impact one’s views on various topics. I was curious if that was the case here. How is that being disrespectful? I would suggest that the contents of the thread article is infinitely more disrespectful, as it is directed at the Pope.

I don’t think Mulligan meant that disrespectfully. Burk is being moved shortly, as he himself has confirmed.

All posts have a little exclamation point in a triangle in the upper right hand corner if you care to report it, though.

Well, he does specifically say: “… I do not wish it to seem like I am speaking out against the Pope.”

For all those who agree with the title of the article, please note the Cardinal goes on to say (in part):

** We need to set aside the reason for this disorientation because we have not lost our bearings. .**

This belies whatever understanding one has of the article’s title, doesn’t it? For all those who “huzzah!” the article’s title, how could that statement have been overlooked?

We have the enduring tradition of the Church, its teachings, the liturgy, its morality. The catechism remains the same.

This may have subtext to it, and if that’s true: although the Cardinal may disagree with the Pontiff, they agree that the *Church *is unchanging and the Church is the final authority, under Christ. This signifies unity in purpose. I’m heartened by that statement, given the recent “whisperings” and rumor-milling.

“The Pope rightly speaks of the need to go out to the peripheries,” the Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura said. “The people have responded very warmly to this. But we cannot go to the peripheries empty-handed.

This says that he agrees with the Pope, but the laity, the people, need training to evangelize so that we aren’t “misinterpreted,” as the Pope has been misinterpreted (actually, misquoted) by the media:

We go with the Word of God, with the Sacraments, with the virtuous life of the Holy Spirit. I am not saying the Pope does this, but there is a risk of the encounter with culture being misinterpreted.

(emphasis mine)

We cannot feed into what the media says. Even the title of the article isn’t quoting the Cardinal correctly.

It’s like back in November of 2010, when Benedict said that condom use between homosexuals was a step forward in care for the other person, but the couple is still in a disordered relationship and The headline on that was “Pope: Condom Use Justified in Certain Situations!” And it spun out of control until people actually took it as Papa Benedict condoning homosexual sex. :rolleyes:

As Joe said , when reading the Spanish , doing away.with the title , he does not sound like attacking the " captain ".

We could use other sentences when he supports what Francis has stated and we would have a completely different turn.

At this stage , I find that if there is flaw , the headlines are chosen to make it look like a crater.

This kind of practice.does not help much IMHO…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.