Burning Man: What Can We Learn about God’s Mission in the Nevada Desert

At first blush, Burning Man seems like one big party, and especially for pyros. And it is, partly. But it is also much more than that. It is a gathering place for spiritual seekers who are fulfilling their vision for a utopian society and imbibing and implementing a style of life that its adherents believe can change the world. Larry Harvey, the founder of Burning Man in the mid 1980s, has a vision that Burning Man and its spinoff communities and festivals will change the arc of the history of the 21st century. He is an atheist. He does not believe in a Supreme Being. But in a twist that resonates with much of Burning Man spirituality, he believes that Being is Supreme. He has said in numerous ways that we are all together creating a larger consciousness, deeper connections, and new forms of community that will someday convert the planet.

christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2015/september/live-from-burning-man-what-can-we-learn-about-gods-mission-.html

My son is there now :eek:. I’m looking forward to seeing him safely home again, and to hear about what he thought of the whole thing. It looks like a crazy cross between Woodstock and the Renaissance Pleasure Faire to me, this “festival of self-expression”.

Exodus 32:1-10

From what I’ve read about Burning Man, it resembles what Woodstock would have been like if it had been staged in Sodom and Gomorrah.

Yup!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.