Burqa ban passes French lower house overwhelmingly

Paris, France (CNN) -- France's lower house of parliament Tuesday overwhelmingly passed a ban on any veils that cover the face -- including the burqa, the full-body covering worn by some Muslim women.

The vote was 335 to 1.

The measure must still go to the French Senate before it becomes law. The Senate is expected to vote on it in the week of September 20.

Amnesty International immediately condemned the vote.

"A complete ban on the covering of the face would violate the rights to freedom of expression and religion of those women who wear the burqa or the niqab in public as an expression of their identity or beliefs," said John Dalhuisen, Amnesty International's expert on discrimination in Europe.

edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/07/13/france.burqa.ban/index.html?hpt=T2&fbid=OvivaNPIRbB

For security reasons, nobody should be allowed to cover their faces in public. Would you feel safe in a country where people are allowed to walk around with hoods on their heads?

In Florida, a Muslim woman sued to keep her face covered for her driver’s license ID.

I say good for the French to stand up to this threat.

A recent trip to the Dallas World Aquarium, I ran into a woman that was completely covered. I felt sorry for her as the men with her were walking around in regular clothing. I couldn't help but wonder if they force her to wear it or if she truly feels obligated according to her religion.

People do walk around with hoods on their heads and this law is as unenforceable as a law to ban people wearing hooded tops would be, what are they going to do throw every Muslim woman in jail?
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/03_02/hoodieDM2003_228x192.jpg

I am NO fan of Islam, but I am very uncomfortable with this. What if they ban crosses? Nun's habits? Yes, I know there is a difference-but it's called a slippery slope for a reason.

Having said that, from what little I know about Europe, I think the Muslim influence is a problem that needs to be addressed...I just don't know if that is the right way to do it.

I think that every freedom-loving American should consider the French attitude nuts. If you want to wear anything, that’s your business.

The only place such garb is not allowed is areas of security, like banks. Next they’ll be telling nuns to take off their veils.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:6, topic:205346"]
I.

The only place such garb is not allowed is areas of security, like banks. Next they'll be telling nuns to take off their veils.

[/quote]

Hey! I just said that! Knock it off! Quit stealing my lines! ;)

I haven't read of nuns carrying bombs and blowing people up. Muslim terrorists do just that including Muslim women. You cannot tell if it is a man or a woman in a burqa. You cannot identify the person wearing a full face veil. You take your chances when you move to a different culture. There is absolutely no way a Western woman could wear short-shorts, a halter top etc. in Saudi. She'd be arrested.

[quote="aicirt, post:8, topic:205346"]
I haven't read of nuns carrying bombs and blowing people up. Muslim terrorists do just that including Muslim women. You cannot tell if it is a man or a woman in a burqa. You cannot identify the person wearing a full face veil. You take your chances when you move to a different culture. There is absolutely no way a Western woman could wear short-shorts, a halter top etc. in Saudi. She'd be arrested.

[/quote]

In Vietnam during the battle of Hue at least one of the VC dressed as a nun and used the disguise to try and get close enough to kill American soldiers during the battle for the hospital.

[quote="aicirt, post:8, topic:205346"]
I haven't read of nuns carrying bombs and blowing people up. Muslim terrorists do just that including Muslim women. You cannot tell if it is a man or a woman in a burqa. You cannot identify the person wearing a full face veil.

[/quote]

So you could tell by looking at someone NOT wearing a burqa if he/she were a terrorist?

Miz

[quote="Advocatus_Fidei, post:4, topic:205346"]
People do walk around with hoods on their heads and this law is as unenforceable as a law to ban people wearing hooded tops would be, what are they going to do throw every Muslim woman in jail?

The article in link posted by the OP showed a picture of the burqa in question, and it covers the entire face except for the eyes. That's not the same as wearing a hood. The man in your picture has his face completely at full view.

I agree with the ban on burqa's. You can't see anything on the face, and you can barely see the eyes. I wouldn't feel right in such an envirionment. Who knows who is under the burqa. It may be the guy in your picture for all we know.

[/quote]

[quote="Miserys_Fence, post:10, topic:205346"]
So you could tell by looking at someone NOT wearing a burqa if he/she were a terrorist?

Miz

[/quote]

You and I can't tell the difference, I'll give you that. You can't tell anything with a burqa. But Police and other law enforcement can see who they are looking for without a burqa.

[quote="Rence, post:12, topic:205346"]
You and I can't tell the difference, I'll give you that. You can't tell anything with a burqa. But Police and other law enforcement can see who they are looking for without a burqa.

[/quote]

Only if the police have memorized the faces of every terrorist at large. There are people running around loose all over my county, in plain sight, that ought to be locked up but the police don't have their faces memorized.

And the suicide bombers don't care if their faces are seen--that's rather a "one and done" deal anyway.

Miz

You would be able to give a better identification if the person wasn’t wearing a full face mask. We have banks in the States who will not allow a person to enter wearing a hoodie and sunglasses. Wonder why that is?

[quote="Advocatus_Fidei, post:9, topic:205346"]
In Vietnam during the battle of Hue at least one of the VC dressed as a nun and used the disguise to try and get close enough to kill American soldiers during the battle for the hospital.

[/quote]

Point made. And there were children and animals strapped with explosives and sent forth too to blow up the soldiers then and now. You cannot tell what is under a burqa. There aren't too many nuns walking around today in flowing habits.

[quote="Miserys_Fence, post:13, topic:205346"]
Only if the police have memorized the faces of every terrorist at large. There are people running around loose all over my county, in plain sight, that ought to be locked up but the police don't have their faces memorized.

And the suicide bombers don't care if their faces are seen--that's rather a "one and done" deal anyway.

Miz

[/quote]

It doesn't have to be a muslim under the burqa. If burqas were outlaws in non-muslim countries, no one could try to pass as a muslim woman under the cover of a burqa....

[quote="gilliam, post:1, topic:205346"]

Amnesty International immediately condemned the vote.

"A complete ban on the covering of the face would violate the rights to freedom of expression and religion of those women who wear the burqa or the niqab in public as an expression of their identity or beliefs," said John Dalhuisen, Amnesty International's expert on discrimination in Europe.

[/quote]

Amnesty International lost any moral authority it had in 2007 when they became anti-life, pro-abortion.

[quote="aicirt, post:15, topic:205346"]
Point made. And there were children and animals strapped with explosives and sent forth too to blow up the soldiers then and now. You cannot tell what is under a burqa. There aren't too many nuns walking around today in flowing habits.

[/quote]

May 18, 2009:

"(WGN-AM)- Sister Marie Marot appeared in full habit Monday morning for the beginning of her trial on a traffic violation charge stemming from a fatal accident.

Over the objection of prosecutors, a Kane County Judge Ronald Matekaitis ruled Friday that she could wear the traditional long, dark gray and black garb of the Fraternite Notre Dame order."

wgnradio.com/news/top/wgnam-nun-051809,0,7250170.story

OK, they're not Catholic, but you see what I mean.

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2009-05/46987092.jpg

Burqas are not religious garb, they are cultural garb. As such there should be no protection under the law.

[quote="aicirt, post:14, topic:205346"]
You would be able to give a better identification if the person wasn't wearing a full face mask. We have banks in the States who will not allow a person to enter wearing a hoodie and sunglasses. Wonder why that is?

[/quote]

Because someone who robs a bank wants to be able to spend the money and not be recognized and put in jail instead. A suicide bomber has no such aspirations.

Miz

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.