Bush approves execution of Army private

Bush OK’s Army’s request to execute a soldier convicted of rape, murder

Pvt. Ronald Gray has been on the military’s death row in Kansas since 1988

White House said it expects further appeals before the sentence is carried out

cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/28/military.execution/index.html

Good!

I guess that is what happens when you pick fruits from low hanging branch.

What purpose does executing someone for a crime commited 20 years ago serve?. I always find it strange that in order to teach people that killing is wrong we kill people.

It’s called JUSTICE.

I guess that is what happens when you pick fruits from low hanging branch.

And by that you mean?

Justice could just as well be served by locking this man up for the rest of his life.

Except that doesn’t usually happen in the US and exposes lesser criminals to his sex crimes and violence.

He has been in jail for 20 years with apparently no effect on anyone around him. Executing this man serves no purpose whatsoever other than, I guess, revenge.

I’ve heard a lot of pro death penalty stances in my life, but this is by far the strangest one I’ve heard. And I was once, pro death penalty.

Thankfully, God blessed me with his Wisdom to see I was wrong back then.

The death penalty is only a form of revenge and in no way advances the greater good of society. There are many other ways to make sure this man does not affect society in a negative way.

Justice would be reflecting the crimes he commited on him(eye for an eye…)

So a Government official should also rape him before he kills him

I hope everyone sees I do not actually support that statement

Revenge has nothing to do with it. The death penalty is the permanent removal from society of a person who has proven by his/her actions that he/she is a danger to society, even locked up. Please review Gen. 9:6.

DaveBj

He has been in jail for 20 years with apparently no effect on anyone around him. Executing this man serves no purpose whatsoever other than, I guess, revenge.

Well stated, Bob,

John

Christ brought us new standards, freeing us from the harshness of OT penalties.

You might want to consider what the Catechism says about the death penalty:

2267 The traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude, presupposing full ascertainment of the identity and responsibility of the offender, recourse to the death penalty, when this is the only practicable way to defend the lives of human beings effectively against the aggressor.

"If, instead, bloodless means are sufficient to defend against the aggressor and to protect the safety of persons, public authority should limit itself to such means, because they better correspond to the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person.

"Today, in fact, given the means at the State’s disposal to effectively repress crime by rendering inoffensive the one who has committed it, without depriving him definitively of the possibility of redeeming himself, cases of absolute necessity for suppression of the offender ‘today … are very rare, if not practically non-existent.’

christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/fifth.html

Pvt Gray was no threat to anyone. There is no need to kill him.

Christ brought us new standards, freeing us from the harshness of OT penalties.

You might want to consider what the Catechism says about the death penalty:

Agreed, Dale,

John

Well this good Catholic sees nothing wrong with executing the soldier. He committed many murders and raped women. Furthermore the Teachings of our Catholic faith permit the Death Penalty in certain circumstances.

I realize that others are opposed to the Death Penalty in principle and to be honest I respect that opinion of theirs. However I don’t accept characterizations that people who are for death penalty are vengeful people. Vengence is a sin for us Humans. None of us are able to judge what is another’s heart.

Bob, would you agree to mandatory solitary confinement for the rest of his life, with absolutely no chance of parole?

I know this criminal is not in Texas, but many people criticize Texas because of the number of executions. But what they don’t realize is Texas does not have the sentence of ‘Life, without the possibility Parole’. In Texas, the only way to ensure no parole is the death penalty. The folk of Texas have tried to change the law several times, but the Texas District & County Attorneys Association has a strong lobby in Austin and are against changes in the law. It puts the governor in a difficult position; either he’s for law and order, or he’s for the criminals. That’s the way it is presented to the public.

Yes, but those circumstances don’t fit this case.

And yet Cain, who was the first person to ever commit murder, was not only not killed by God, by whom he was punished, but further was protected for the rest of his life lest anyone else attempt to kill him.

He’s been locked up for 20 years. There is no evidence he is a danger to anyone at this point. The death penalty is just another component of the culture of death that permeates our society

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.