Bush in 2007 delivered eerily accurate warning about Iraq unrest

Bush in 2007 delivered eerily accurate warning about Iraq unrest

To begin withdrawing before our commanders tell us we are ready would be dangerous for Iraq, for the region and for the United States,” Bush cautioned.

He then ticked off a string of predictions about what would happen if the U.S. left too early.

**“It would mean surrendering the future of Iraq to Al Qaeda.

“It would mean that we’d be risking mass killings on a horrific scale.

“It would mean we allow the terrorists to establish a safe haven in Iraq to replace the one they lost in Afghanistan.

“It would mean we’d be increasing the probability that American troops would have to return at some later date to confront an enemy that is even more dangerous.”**

Bush speechwriter Marc Thiessen says all these predictions have come true.

“Every single thing that President Bush said there in that statement is happening today,” he told.

foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/11/bush-in-2007-delivered-eerily-accurate-warning-about-iraq-unrest/

Like him or not, key here is everything said in that press conference has been shown to be accurate. Prophetic.

Of course the craven response to that is

“But I found and appointed a military commander on the scene who agreed with my assessment that it was time to leave.”

I understand why he said it, but Bush would have been better to stick with “the buck stops here” approach to leadership than by borrowing credibility from military commanders.

I would call it ironic. Ironic in that it was Bush who got us into this mess, and invaded Iraq in the first place until false pretense of WMD’s, which there were NONE.

Except for rather a lot of uranium yellow cake from his aborted nuclear weapons program. No big deal, eh?

And there’s the pesky detail that the quantity of chemical weapons Sadaam had after the 1992 war as inventoried by UN inspectors at the time is much greater than the quantity of chemical weapons that UN inspectors verified the destruction of before the second Iraq war.

It does indeed appear that there were no immediately viable WMDs in Sadaam’s hands at the start of the war. But it doesn’t follow that we were lied to that there were. It really looked that way to me at the time. And to this day nobody really knows what happened to the rest. :shrug: Maybe he really did secretly destroy them before the war started. Seems a strange thing to do while simultaneously obstructing weapons inspectors from doing their job. Why’d he obstruct them? Something there never did add up.

So there was no Islamic terrorism before Congress authorized the liberation of Iraq?

But we WERE lied to, and several times, by V.P. Cheney on “Meet the Press,” for example. Check the record. Cheney stated he was sure that Saddam Hussein had WMDs. The only other possibility was that Cheney got that information from intelligence, which is the story that the Bush administration spun and which Colin Powell appeared to believe as well. But I doubt Cheney believed it.

Why wouldn’t Cheney believe it? Powell believed it. Or are you saying that they had access to different intel?

Let’s just say I believe Cheney had his own reason(s) for engaging in the Iraq War no matter what.

Cheney not only knew there were no WMDS-he helped Halliburton STEAL them from Hussein. Of course they did this before they remotely flew the planes into the World trade Center. Their motive for all this was to raise money to but more puppies to eat for breakfast.

You forgot to mention that Darth Cheney likes his puppies marinated overnight in crude oil as it makes them especially tender and delicious.

’Bush Lied’? If Only It Were That Simple:

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/08/AR2008060801687.html

Bush believed it, Cheney believed it, Powell believed it, Clinton believed it, Albright believed it, most of the Democrats in congress believed it, Great Britain believed it etc. And just for the record a statement can only be a lie if the person saying knows it to be untrue. Imagine if you told your wife you would be home at 6 pm but then you run into a huge traffic jam because of an accident and you don’t get home till 6:15 pm. Then you wife comes up to you and says she’s leaving because you lied to her about what time you would be home. No one acts that way in real life. So we need to dispel once and for all the idea that the Bush Administration lied about WMD in Iraq. It was the consistent finding of US and British and many other intelligence agencies for over two decades that Saddam had WMD and wanted to develop more. Everyone believed it both Democratic and Republican presidents and members of congress and countless foreign governments.

It’s possible Cheney thought he was telling the truth. It wasn’t just US intel that thought Saddam had the weapons.

You’ve got the right idea except it’s kittens, not puppies.

So does this mean Hillary’s presidential campaign is doomed? :smiley:

Of course it’s possible but I think Cheney is too smart to have believed it. He still seems to have no regrets, and neither does John McCain.

I often hear people say such things but I’ve never seen anything to that.

When this whole decision went down, it was literally my job to be on top of it. I was working at a private think tank as the research assistant for a former Assistant Secretary of the State Department who shall remain nameless. I helped said fellow on a lengthy piece on the legality of the war, so it is fair to say that we got immersed in the issue. He was personally acquainted with Wolfowitz and Cheney from prior work, and for what it’s worth, we spoke candidly about everything that was happening, and the notion that a sinister ulterior motive was at play wasn’t even entertained. :shrug:

Bush the Prophet! Well, even a broken watch tells the right time twice a day. SO FAR we’re not returning to Iraq with ground forces. But don’t you think it was also sectarian conflict and the fragile al-Maliki government which incited the present terrorism in Iraq?

I hope Hillary runs against Jeb Bush. A battle to the death.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.