Bush to Press Congress on Offshore Oil Drilling

Even if we started drilling today-we would not see benefits until 2030, and that’s according to Bush administration energy projections. Also, this country uses 25% of the world’s oil resources. At best, the domestic production would be 2%-how would that help in any significant way?

Think of it this way-when you’re an alcoholic, you don’t cure your addiction to alcohol by switching from imported to domestic beer. You STOP DRINKING. We have to stop depending on oil for energy and switching to domestic oil isn’t going to do that.

Instead of spending money on domestic drilling-we need to spend money on alternative energy sources.

Not only is $5 not the upper limit, look at what our misguided energy policies have done to food prices. Corn is almost $8 per bushel because of it’s demand for ethanol. The demand for corn has driven up the cost of peanuts because there is a shortage of corn to produce cooking oil, the cost of feed is up therefore the cost of meat and eggs is up. If the US does not become energy independant not only will we be unalbe to fill our gas tanks, we won’t be able to heat/cool our homes, run the few factories we have left, take a vacation or eat the way we do(which may or may not be a good thing). In short if we continue on our current path we will be a 3rd world nation by the end of this century.

However, alcohol is something we don’t require in our daily work and home living… sources of fuel are required.

I don’t see much discussion on the BIG problem this issue is also creating for the not-so-distant future. The speculation, which is the MAIN reason the prices have jumped, is the cause. The funds involved/committed are heavily from pension and other retirement funds.

When the scam comes unraveled, those who are relying on their investments will be hung out to dry. A few rich will be richer, and many more will be without the financial security they thought they had. It will be worse than the sub-prime fiasco.

But I trust that a certain political party will want to step in and take yours and my money to bail out the ones affected.

If the town halls actually occur, we many then see the level of incompetence of one or both of the candidates.

How long will it take to get to this oil?

Sources of fuel are required-however those fuel sources do not have to be oil. Although since the members of the ruling political party are oil men it doesn’t shock me that the only answer is oil

And since our greatest debts, approved by the congress we so greatly “trust”, include those to the oil-rich countries… well, it does not shock me that oil is not the only answer.

About 8-10 years (that is why people say we can’t wait any longer). But it will have an affect on the futures market and the market in general. Especially if there is a indeed a lot of speculation going on.

Until we retool and other sources of fuel come on line, oil is the big game in town. But I agree we should be investing in all kinds of known energy technologies (e.g., nuclear).

Also, realize that when other fuels come online, they may have secondary affects on the economy. For example, fuel from corn means the corn is not used for food or feed for animals, so we end up with more demand for corn and higher food costs are the result (we are seeing that this year). Also, the floods in the mid-west are affecting the corn crop.

Maybe marginal affect but why not still develop more effecient ways to save energy and with renewable energy so it requires us to “suck” up this oil at a lesser rate.

I worry we just go back to our old habits

IMHO, the ideal thing would be to do both. It is not that simple to go into new technologies and change habbits. Gore’s home increased its outside energy consumption by 10% this last year and he, for obvious reasons, is trying to cut down.

One solution is continue to find new ways to help the small farmer instead we buy their land and sell it off to developers of stripmalls and McMansions! I read in a report that only 280 million acres of the available 800 million acres of farmland are actually farmed!

The same people who said this last year got slapped down by Snopes, but that didn’t stop them from trying again. It’s just not true, no matter how many times they repeat it.

snopes.com/politics/business/gorehome.asp

tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080619/COLUMNIST0101/806190354/1008/OPINION01

The gas bill went down 90% but the organization didn’t see fit to include that stat.

I’m not Al Gore’s biggest fan, I thought he would have made a lousy President-but I’m going to defend anyone against those kind of “Gotcha” attacks.

I don’t have a dog in this hunt, but I don’t see any hard number as to what the gas bill and electric bill were to begin with. Most people use a lot less natural gas then they do electricity. But as I said, I really don’t care. My point was that it takes time to switch to newer technologies, and there is normally a floor upon which you can’t economize any further by changing technologies. Al Gore may be a good example here. He put flat screen TVs into every nook and cranny of his house, the article says, and invested in solar energy. OK, fine, but not a lot of people can’t afford to do that. The government has artifically restricted a resource (oil) and because of that the price of oil has increased (that is simple economics). To tell people they now have to invest thousands of dollars in flat screen TVs and other gadgets isn’t the answer, especially in a recession (unless, of course, your population is rich). This is all going to be very interesting in an election year.

Part of the problem is experts been saying we were going to run into this crisis for over 20 years now and WE (Government, business and citezens) have done really nothing in preparing for this. We seem to always wait until we are bitten in the butt to do something we knew was going to happen sooner or later. Now it will cost more. But if we have a concerted effert by the three areas I mentioned above WE can do this and the technology to be more effecient will become cheaper. Case point is these big screen TV’s they costed thousands of dollars when they first came out now some are only a few hundred.

Yes we should help the poor and middle class to be more energy effecient but the I see very little incentives by the government to do so. Some things like recycling should be mandatory. But they can look into giving much much larger tax breaks for those who invest in renewable and more effecient sources to heat, power, their homes and transportation.

WE only recycle about 5% of our plastics now and it takes 95% less energy to manufacture from recycled plastics (and far far less petroleum).

Sometimes I worry WE as Americans are in an innovation rut.

Me too. What happened to the America that was first and the best at new ideas? We need the same kind of vision that JFK brought to the Space race.

Yes, energy efficiency is expensive now, but that’s because few people are demanding energy efficiency. Look at hybrid cars, when they first came out they were unaffordable to the average person. Now, Toyota can’t keep them on the lot because the price is down and people are clamoring for them.

How about we take the tax breaks away from Exxon and give them to the people who make solar panels? :smiley:

I agree! Why not take away this across the board tax cust BUT give huge tax write offs to all who buy more energy effecient products both for home and transportation. In otherwords invest in our own countries production! I agree with one of the two candidates we need a Apollo Mission type of attitude towards energy independence and effeciency.

OK, so here in Texas, which takes approximately 22 hours to cross by car, there are a lot of farmers and ranchers. They must use pick up trucks and other rugged vehicles to do their jobs. Are they supposed to use bikes or take a bus?

How about people who cannot afford to live in metropolitan areas where they might work. Are they supposed to ride bikes over interstate highways to work? And buses don’t even come close to taking them from anywhere where they live to where they need to go to work.

Your statement is way over simplistic and not based in the daily reality a lot of people live.

I agree. So the answer is to drill more, build more refineries, build more nuke plants, use clean-coal technology, (all of which democrats in congress are against). We also need to conserve more where we can, but cannot make the assumption its practical for everyone.

Actions like suing OPEC and increasing taxes on oil companies do nothing to contribute to energy independence.

Perhaps you enjoy paying more, you are in the minority. People can only modify their lifestyle so much to account for increased energy prices and their impact on all other prices (food, products, home heating, etc).

People will have to choose between paying for food, or paying for medicine, or heating their homes in the winter, in order to drive to work, because a bus system (or train or lifestyle modification) is not practical for everyone, like your comments imply.

I agree we should develop better conservation habits, but I would be willing to be that the majority of gas usage would not be considered “wasting gas”.

Energy is not a zero sum game. Setting my thermostat at 72 degrees does not mean someone else in the world has to set their thermostat at 88 degrees.

I am not buying that. Was there not spills after Katrina?

We are already pumping in oil from offshore. Notice the green area? Those who live on the left and east coast to not want it. I am tired of the “not in my backyard” mentality. Fine. Then let’s cut off the gas to California and heating oil to New England. That way those states that do utilize resources can prosper and those that don’t can fall in a downward spiral. I am also pleased that we have two new nuke plants being built down the coast. I just don’t want to listen to bellyaching from California when they go through their predicatable rolling brown-outs again this summer.

Does no one remember the children’s story of the Little Red Hen?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.