Business owners stand by decision to fire workers who protested

cnn.com/2017/02/20/us/workers-fired-day-without-immigrants/index.html

(CNN)Jim Serowski’s employees told him they’d planned to skip work Thursday to participate in “A Day Without Immigrants,” the nationwide day of protest.

Serowski, founder of JVS Masonry in Commerce City, Colorado, said his position to them was clear: “If you’re going to stand up for what you believe in, you have to be willing to pay the price.”
As promised, when Serowski’s foreman and some 30 bricklayers failed to show up for work, he fired them all with no regrets, he said.

Seems like common sense to me.

It is the golden rule, he who has the gold makes the rules. If you don’t show up to work, you can’t be surprised if you are fired.

I totally get that this is meant to be a fun play on words, but I do worry that many really have replaced the true golden rule with this golden rule.

One could apply that to the workers who left the business owner in the lurch in order to go protest, and also to the business owner who fired them, no?

I love immigrants but I thought this was a foolish form of protest. The message and the implementation were not well thought out.

If a business owner fired someone solely for his political opinion, I would find that problematic. On the other hand, I have little sympathy for someone who gets fired because they didn’t show up for work when they were supposed to.

When I saw the signs for “The Day Without Immigrants” hanging up on lamp posts, this was my first thought: that, if immigrants decide to not show up for work on any given day, then they will lose those jobs. I am not being discriminatory when I say that the type of work that many new immigrants get when they come to the United States is along the lines of day labor, and these jobs go in an instant if you’re not there. Think along the lines of The Jungle** by Upton Sinclair and the staunch competitiveness of work at the stockyards.

Other, more established positions, just by true of the fact that you have to come to work in order to retain your employment, will also follow this rule to the extent that there is no justifiable reason for missing work.

I people want to protest, then that is fine. But, they must be able to accept the consequences.

At least he gave them fair warning.

This.

Also I want to point out that even a fair number of middle class people are in temporary jobs for which they must show up on the pain of being let go.

For those people on the lowest part of the ladder and trying to climb up, it has always been dog eat dog. My own ancestors experienced the same when they came here, that is no different. It motivated them in ways that social welfare never could have.

Reminds me of a story from when I was in graduate school. I was teaching a math class that had about 20 sections (I taught 3 of them). The professor over it all gave us the syllabus at the beginning of the semester with all the tests and quizzes already scheduled. The tests were in the evening at the same time for all sections in a very large auditorium.

Turns out one of the tests was on the same day as the Million Man March. A large percentage of the class did not arrive for the test, and all got 0’s on the test. When they objected, the processor in charge gave pretty much the same answer as the business owner.

I agree, and would ask the protesters how much they really care if there is no cost to them? Freedom is not free, and never has been. Real patriots once pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor to a cause they believed in. How many of them demanded a day off from work? At least these protesters did not demand paid time off to protest and free Uber rides to the protest sites.

They were warned. He is within his rights as the boss to make this call.

Quote:

(CNN)Jim Serowski’s employees told him they’d planned to skip work Thursday to participate in “A Day Without Immigrants,” the nationwide day of protest.

Serowski, founder of JVS Masonry in Commerce City, Colorado, said his position to them was clear: “If you’re going to stand up for what you believe in, you have to be willing to pay the price.”
As promised, when Serowski’s foreman and some 30 bricklayers failed to show up for work, he fired them all with no regrets, he said.

Yet apparently up till then he must have thought immigrants made good employees, even a foreman,no?:shrug:

Good employees show up to work on time and work a full day, barring any external contingencies outside of their control.

I guess they found out what happens when you protest instead of work.

Most of this stuff is really not.

If anyone on these boards was trying to make a case against immigrants, you’d have a point, I think.

I agree, no one here is against immigrants

Im pretty surprised the boat company was able to replace 21 workers that quickly.

In my company, we could not afford to fire that many people at once, it would take a long time to hire qualified replacements, qualified meaning, being able to pass a drug screen and background check.

We used to fire people for no call, no show, but not for the past 4-5 years, we have a very hard time getting applicants that can pass drug screen and BG check, over 75% of applicants are rejected due to one or both of these requirements.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.