But what about the children?

This is in the UK news this morning.

"Gay couple set to christen children"
google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hRcWvVlSiVzMPOGCW3NU89oM4l2w

I'm curious. I know what the catechism says about homosexuality, but wondered what the RCC view would be on baptising these children given that 1261 says "All the more urgent is the Church's call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism."

I doubt such a couple would ever approach a Catholic priest for this, but I am curious what the response would be.

The children are innocent. So I think they shouldn't be denied any right to officially join the Church (receive the Sacrament of Baptism), even if the parents are being excommunicated for whatever reason.

Children aren't supposed to be baptized unless they are to be properly raised in the Faith in the Catholic Church, or in danger of death.

[quote="Shin, post:3, topic:204139"]
Children aren't supposed to be baptized unless they are to be properly raised in the Faith in the Catholic Church, or in danger of death.

[/quote]

I see. Thanks for informing. Ignore my previous post, it's the wrong information.

[quote="Shin, post:3, topic:204139"]

[/quote]

I agree with this. If the couple in question have no intention to raise the children as Catholic, what is their purpose in seeking baptism for the children? They themselves do not believe in it. If I was the priest, I would suggest that the couple in question seek to learn more about the faith and that they themselves restore their relationship with the Church before seeking the sacrament for their children.

They are being baptised in the Anglican Communion which does not believe homosexual sexual orientation as an obstacle to any of the Sacrements, including holy orders.

If they were approaching the Catholic Church, it is unlikely that they would be baptised unless their upbringing was going to be in the Church, and in line with Church teachings, which does not seem particualrily to be the case; or of course that they were in danger of death.

However, as the Sacrament of Baptism is performed in the Anglican Communion in line with the trinitarian formulae; the children will recieve a valid baptism Ex opere operato - that is to say, the minister is irrelevant to the performance of a valid baptism so long as they are baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

[quote="JohnDamian, post:6, topic:204139"]
They are being baptised in the Anglican Communion which does not believe homosexual sexual orientation as an obstacle to any of the Sacrements, including holy orders.

If they were approaching the Catholic Church, it is unlikely that they would be baptised unless their upbringing was going to be in the Church, and in line with Church teachings, which does not seem particualrily to be the case; or of course that they were in danger of death.

However, as the Sacrament of Baptism is performed in the Anglican Communion in line with the trinitarian formulae; the children will recieve a valid baptism Ex opere operato - that is to say, the minister is irrelevant to the performance of a valid baptism so long as they are baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

[/quote]

Baptism could be done by any person, even an atheist, if he had the right intention to baptize the child. Again, "Ex opere operato." If I were the couple, I'd record the Baptism in a family bible and have witnesses sign it, or even go to a notary with witnesses and swear that a baptism, in accordance with the rites of my church was carried out.

Why punish the child??

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.