Buying a Breviary?

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a breviary. I've been doing the Divine Office for some time now (electronically through an app) and would like to invest in a breviary. I have never bought one before, does anyone have any tips or advice? I typically do all of the Hours, not just the Morning-Evening-Night three. Will this change anything when buying a breviary? What should I look for? Recommendations? Possible purchase locations? And tips and/or advice is greatly appreciated. God bless.

You can find them online for pretty cheap. Divine Office website always has them on sale. If you pray all hours, then you'll need the set.

But let me ask: why not stick to electronic app? I know that people frown if you use it in church, but it's so much more convenient. Ever since finding iBreviary, I've never used my books.

Edit: it's also a lot cheaper!

Your local Catholic book store. The Liturgy of the Hours prayers for all hours are in the Breviary. Morning, mid morning, mid afternoon, evening and night prayers. As well as all the appropriate readings of the day. They come in four volume sets. Vol I is Advent/Christmas, Vol II is Ordinary Time, Vol III is Lent/Easter and Vol IV is Ordinary Time. Also, it’s good to get the covers to keep the books safe. God bless.

If you’re interested in doing Liturgy of the Hours in book form, whatever you do I would suggest against buying the USSCB “Christian Prayer” books, they’re logistically a nightmare to find out what you have to say with all of the page-flipping. The 1-book edition also doesn’t have daytime prayer in it. I recommend the now out-of-print Daughters of Saint Paul editions of the Liturgy of the Hours and a rarer, 1-volume book of the Office of Readings. Easier to take around than 4 different books.

Though iBreviary.com is the easiest way to go when it comes to saying the Divine Office. If I had a smart phone or tablet, I’d probably go that way myself.

I have been praying with the one volume Christians Prayer for several years and while it took some getting used to, it certainly was not a nightmare when used with the yearly guide. It has daytime prayer starting on page 994.

It seems like Catholic Book Publishing Company is the only game in town. I'd like to find something a little more sturdy, a little more nicely bound, in English. If anyone knows of the current LoTH in English other than Catholic Book Publishing Company, please post.

I found "Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer" by Liturgical Press. Not sure how good it is from the picture or if it is the official prayer of the Church. barnesandnoble.com/w/shorter-morning-and-evening-prayer-john-brook/1112143040?ean=9780814619391

-Tim-

[quote="Baloo, post:4, topic:348393"]
If you're interested in doing Liturgy of the Hours in book form, whatever you do I would suggest against buying the USSCB "Christian Prayer" books, they're logistically a nightmare to find out what you have to say with all of the page-flipping. The 1-book edition also doesn't have daytime prayer in it. I recommend the now out-of-print Daughters of Saint Paul editions of the Liturgy of the Hours and a rarer, 1-volume book of the Office of Readings. Easier to take around than 4 different books.

Though iBreviary.com is the easiest way to go when it comes to saying the Divine Office. If I had a smart phone or tablet, I'd probably go that way myself.

[/quote]

With the 4 volume set, you only use one book at a time in accordance with the liturgical season.

I’ve been under the impression that Christian Prayer is a truncated form of the Roman Divine Office, and that it only contains the “principal hours” of the day. Am I mistaken?

If so, it seems to me that an electronic application would be most price efficient. The multivolume sets seem to run upwards to $500! :eek: Not to mention the ease of use that comes with an electronic format (no page flipping, lightweight, etc.)

Are you praying the Liturgy of the Hours (Ordinary form of the Divine Office) or the 1962 Roman Breviary (Extraordinary form)?

If you are looking at the OF, then the next question is if you are looking for it in English or Latin (or another language).

If you are looking for the Breviary in the EF, then do thou want Latin-only or Latin with and English translation?

[quote="Brandon_Cal, post:7, topic:348393"]
I've been under the impression that Christian Prayer is a truncated form of the Roman Divine Office, and that it only contains the "principal hours" of the day. Am I mistaken?

If so, it seems to me that an electronic application would be most price efficient. The multivolume sets seem to run upwards to $500! :eek: Not to mention the ease of use that comes with an electronic format (no page flipping, lightweight, etc.)

[/quote]

Just like one doesn't have to carry 4 volumes around all the time, one doesn't have to purchase all 4 volumes at the same time. The French set I use was around $400 if I recall.

But the cost was spread in 4 installments. I first bought the volume for the current season; then when I got near the end of the season, bought the next volume, and so forth until I had all 4; $100 over 3 months is not so formidable really.

There are advantages to a book. First of all the page flipping... yes it can be aggravating but it forces you to really learn what you're praying and why. Secondly, there are no distractions like incoming texts, e-mail alerts, etc.

I much prefer my books; I will use my iPhone if carrying a book is too inconvenient, like on a bike ride or hike. But overall I prefer praying from a book. I've put in all sorts of little tabs as well, to help find my way around because a general rule of the LOTH is that if your book comes with 4 ribbons, you'll need 6, if it comes with 6 you'll need 8, etc :p

Everyone has covered where to buy it already, so here are some tips that I've thought about:

Look at the weight and descriptions. You want something aesthetically pleasing, both on the outside and the inside. I would also buy them one at a time, starting with the particular season you want (although, at this point, it would make more sense to buy the Ordinary Time volume).

I understand your desire to have a book, instead of electronic. There's just something about the physical touching of a book and the flipping of pages that seems so ancient. It also allows you more leeway in what prayers/readings/psalms you do, and gives you the option of reading other sections besides the one your in right then.

Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.