BVM question

Why does she have so many names/titles? I understand that for instance the title “Our Lady of Guadalupe” is because of what happened there, but why a title? Why not just say that she did such and such and be done with it? I mean no disrespect, I just don’t understand why all of the titles. When I was converting to Catholicism it confused me that it was all the same person because of the different titles. :blush:

Christ, likewise, is known by many names:

blog.adw.org/2012/05/150-titles-of-christ-from-the-scriptures/

I’m not surprised the Mother of God, likewise, is known by many names under her many roles.

Mary has visited different places as you have suggested, and she has given specific instructions and messages each time. Therefore, referring to “Our Lady of Guadalupe” or “Our Lady of Fatima” helps US keep these different things straight.

She’s still just one person no matter how many names or titles we give her. :slight_smile:

There is a Danish saying: A beloved child has many names. I’ve thought that she has these titles because she is so loved by the Trinity.

Just like the Pope has many titles:
Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the Vatican City State, Servant of the servants of God.

As does the Queen of England:
Until 1953, she was “by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas, Queen, Defender of the Faith.”

Each title emphasizes a different aspect or attribute of a single person.

That totally makes sense. Thanks. :slight_smile:

:tiphat:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.