By chance, is the St. Benedict medal used in Exorcisms?

Hi everyone,
I have to give a speech in my class and my topic is Exorcisms.I chose it because I have to describe the process of something. So I will be presenting this speech to my college class. I chose it because I thought It’d be a good way to evangelize.

I can’t really find anything that tells me what exorcists use during an exorcism. I know a good amount and have experience with the St Benedict medal, I am wondering if you know if they are used during an exorcism? Or anything used during an exorcism. Any sources you can direct me to will help. God Bless

Generally, crucifixes used in exorcism have a St. Benedict Medal embedded in the center just under the corpus. Also, I read an exorcism of a house and it was instructed to place St. Benedict Medals there in each room and bury them in places surrounding the house.

saint-mike.org/warfare/library/wp-content/docs/swprayers/houseblessing.pdf

i may not answer your question, but i can help you with the speech.

catholic.com/magazine/articles/interview-with-an-exorcist

independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-makes-exorcisms-official-catholic-practice-as-demonfighting-priests-recognised-under-canon-law-9580727.html

exorcismus.org/exorcism-and-exorcists/212-who-is-an-exorcist

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism_in_the_Catholic_Church

Hence places and things as well as persons are naturally liable to diabolical infestation, within limits permitted by God, and exorcism in regard to them is nothing more that a prayer to God, in the name of His Church, to restrain this diabolical power supernaturally, and a profession of faith in His willingness to do so on behalf of His servants on earth.

The chief things formally exorcised in blessing are water, salt, oil, and these in turn are used in personal exorcisms, and in blessing or consecrating places (e.g. churches) and objects (e.g. altars, sacred vessels, church bells) connected with public worship, or intended for private devotion. Holy water, the sacramental with which the ordinary faithful are most familiar, is a mixture of exorcised water and exorcised salt; and in the prayer of blessing, God is besought to endow these material elements with a supernatural power of protecting those who use them with faith against all the attacks of the devil. This kind of indirect exorcism by means of exorcised objects is an extension of the original idea; but it introduces no new principle, and it has been used in the Church from the earliest ages.

Toner, P. (1909). Exorcism. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.

newadvent.org/cathen/05709a.htm

which is not so according to the new rite. i have posted a question about it on aaa section. will let you know if it is replied to.

I’m not a big believer in the magic power of medals; however my car, which has given me considerable grief in the first 3 years I’ve owned it (purchased new), has settled down and purrs like a kitten since I put a couple of blessed St. Benedict medals in it.

Go figure! :shrug:

It reached the point where, out of exasperation, I came close to trading it in even though it’s an otherwise great car to drive. Good thing too because a change of my employment status means I would have been in deep trouble if I’d trade it in last year when I contemplated doing so. It’s paid for, so I’m glad it’s running well now.

In a solemn exorcism, a purple stole (worn by the priest), a crucifix, holy water, and a holy relic of a saint are used. The Roman Ritual does not prescribe the use of a St. Benedict medal as part of the ritual, but that doesn’t bar the use of a crucifix incorporating one.

ETA: The stole is a symbol of the priest’s authority. The crucifix emphasizes that it is through Christ and his sacrifice that the devil is driven out. Holy water is a symbol of baptism and cleansing, and it is humiliating to the devils because it is an ordinary physical object which has power over them. The relic is touched to the possessed person and brings the devil into contact with a holy saint of God, whose presence they cannot bear.

:thumbsup:

For the Mass (Paul VI), this is from the Asperges:

[size=5][size=3]*Where it is customary, salt may be mixed with the holy water. The priest blesses the salt, saying:
*[/size]Priest: Almighty God, we ask you to bless + this salt as once you blessed the salt scattered over the water by the prophet Elisha. Wherever this salt and water are sprinkled, drive away the power of evil, and protect us always by the presence of your Holy Spirit.
Grant this through Christ our Lord.
People: Amen.
[/size]

i am talking about blessing water outside the mass.

Oh! you must mean “solemn exorcism”. I have never witnessed that, but have witnessed the exorcism of baptism many times. I read a release from 1999 on the Vatican website by Jorge A. Card. Medina Estévez, that the revised rite was approved and published, however it is not to be used on the possessed.

I mean exorcising water and salt and adding them together.

I see. Well, this is an exorcism (blessing) of salt, with already exorcised water (holy water):

[size=5][size=3]Where it is customary, salt may be mixed with the holy water. The priest blesses the salt, saying:[/size][/size]
[size=5][size=3][/size]Priest: Almighty God, we ask you to bless + this salt …[/size]
[size=5][size=3]
[/size][/size]

from this link,

The new Rituale Romanum excludes the exorcism prayer on the water. Exorcized salt used to be added to the holy Water as well. Priests can now use the older form if they wish according to Summorum Pontificum, an apostolic letter by Pope Benedict XVI

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.