BYU, other Christian schools ranked among the least LGBT-friendly campuses

SALT LAKE CITY – Brigham Young University remains one of the most hostile campuses in the country for gay and transgender students, according to an annual college ranking list.

But the private university does not top the list of LGBT-unfriendly schools. In fact, it came in sixth in a list of 10, mostly religious, schools. Grove City College (Grove City, Pa.) a Christian liberal arts school of 2,500 students. and Hampden-Sydney College, an all-male liberal arts college affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in Hampden Sydney Va., came in first and second.

religionnews.com/2015/08/11/byuother-christian-schools-ranked-among-the-least-lgbt-friendly-campuses/?utm_content=buffer2ae2b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The article should have mentioned that BYU proudly is ranked the #1 Stone Cold Sober school by the Princeton Review. Go Cougars!!

huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/04/brigham-young-sober-school_n_5648703.html?utm_hp_ref=college

What buzzkills! :stuck_out_tongue:

I had a good feeling Mormons would not allow such things to go on. Good for you!

I suppose the way we should react to this news would entirely depend upon the metric by which they came to this conclusion. If, for example, LGBT students were the subject of bullying, harassment, or verbal abuse then this should be a cause for sadness and alarm. If, however, this ranking was attained by simply failing to be affirming then I would be less than upset. The link wasn’t specific enough to say.

Out of curiosity, I wonder if the attitude toward LGBT students at BYU is better or worse than the attitude towards Evangelical and Catholic students at other Universities.

The only inkling I could get from the referenced article was this.

The Princeton Review, which rates the academic and social traits of campuses nationwide, recently released a number of annual Top 20 lists. On the other end of the spectrum, Emerson College in Boston was named the most accommodating to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

Well, there are many colleges that are super accommodating to the LGBT community so I guess they will just have to go to one of those schools.

It does.

The fact that they did not specify the metric is extremely telling. From my experience, if you do not personally endorse gay marriage or, worse, if you dare to question the morality of it in any way, shape, or form, then you are automatically labelled a bigot and a homophobe. Even if you personally have sympathy and compassion toward people with same sex attraction, that is not enough. Either drink the kool-aid or be shunned as intolerant.

You must have been reading my Facebook! :smiley:

From the methodology page on the Princeton Review site:

princetonreview.com/college-rankings/ranking-methodology

Quote:

LGBTQ-Friendly
LGBTQ-Unfriendly
Both lists are based on students’ answers to the survey question: “Do students, faculty and administrators at your college treat all persons equally regardless of their sexual orientations and gender identify/expression?”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.