Byzantine Liturgy during Vatican II

From the New Liturgical Movement

Some might find interesting this photo of a Byzantine Divine Liturgy served in the presence of the Pope of Rome and the Fathers of the Second Vatican Council.

Would have been more interesting if offered by the Pope as main celebrant.

There was also a December 6, 1965 Pontifical Divine Liturgy, held on the Feast of St. Nicholas (Patron of the Byzantine Catholic Church):

Video - Vatican II Pontifical Divine Liturgy (6 Dec 1965)

My question is, why is everyone sitting? :stuck_out_tongue:

I was curious about the celebrants standing all the way around the altar table. It is like all are equal instead of only around the 3 sides and last side (east) empty.

Interesting photo though.

John

When you get enough concelebrants, ringing the holy table is pretty standard.

Actually, what should happen is a second row behind the side rows. Having priests around the table looks tacky. I’m sorry but it doesn’t look proper.

Looks like a large number of people are standing off to the right.

This pic just gave me many ideas. :slight_smile:

Perhaps you were wondering how many liturgical spoons they used?

YES! :slight_smile:
Oh, and if they used the liturgical lance to cut the prosphoron as well as how many prosphoron were in there. :slight_smile:

One, 3 or 5 prosphora per diskos - given the size, probably 5… or maybe 1 per diskos plus precuts…

And either 1 or 2 spoons per chalice…

But I can’t see any chalices (nor the book of the Gospels) on the altar… upon closer look, what I thought might be a chalice upon close look appears to be the censer at high swing!

Which got me looking closely…

I count 1 or 2 subdeacons, 4 deacons, 3 priests, 12 miters (tho several appear to be in the short omophoria, and 5 are definitely bishops in great omophoria, and it’s possible one or two might be mitered archpriests)…
It looks like 6 lectors …

That must have been a ton of liturgical spoons! :eek:

Or none if they’re all clergy…

What do you mean? O:

There is no reason to leave one side empty. It is the supper of the Lord and this all clergy would gather around. Normally the far side is the last to be occupied but I have been to Liturgies where there are enough priests to occupy all sides. Nothing wrong with that.

As noted, the spoon is only for the laity. Although it would be useful for the priests/deacons who would consume the Eucharist in the chalice at the end of Communion, though not required. In this case if everyone’s a bishop, priest and deacon, then everyone just communies CITH. I’ve seen this done locally, where our bishop took the diskos out from the altar and the bishops lined up (this was during a Bishop’s conference) and each out took from the diskos. And then again each one drank from the chalice. You are not communed as a lay person even if you are not at the altar.

Anyone have video or pictures of the Eastern Catholic part of the funeral of the late and great Holy Father John Paul II?

You can easily search that on youtube.

Didnt even think to check there! Thanks :smiley:

I saw something very similar two weeks ago. There was a Conference on Vatican II that was hosted at a local Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.

The Divine Liturgy was offered by the pastor, with the Roman clergy in attendance. The priests each recieved from the diskos, and drank from the Chalice. The (Roman) deacon was fed from from the diskos by the pastor and then offered the Chalice.

The laity then recieved from the spoon in the normal way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.