Byzantine-style musical setting for the Revised English Mass

Regarding one poster’s comment about syncretism of rites, I don’t think there’s a danger of that in this case. No rubrics or text are changed. It’s only a *style *of music, and one that is not all that different from sacred music in the strictly western tradition. I think for people of both traditions, it’s a style of music that evokes an idea of the sacred. At the same time, I don’t think it would sound out of place in the New Mass. I don’t think it would sound like two competing traditions. It would just be beautiful reverential music–any style of which would work well for the responses at Mass!

I would concur for the reasons given, also noting that this setting borrows from a body of chant and tradition that is recognized within the Cathlic Communion and traditional, sacred and liturgical - i.e. it inherently meets the subjective and objective criteria for sacred music for the Mass at present. However, the Orthodox might feel differently.

BTW - I did think it was interesting that the setting was described as “Ecumenical”, for (i) this music is already used within the Catholic Communion and (ii) it is doubtful IMO that many Orthodox would be impressed with this attempt to “fuse” the traditions, as it would likely be viewed from their perspective.

I could be wrong about this, but I seem to think there were Mass settings, perhaps from Prague, that incorporate at least some of this. Even if not, if someone were to write a setting for the Novus Ordo in that style using approved texts, in Latin or otherwise, it would be no problem. Music is music. Consider some of the heavy-duty polyphony that is and has been used. Looking at it that way, if it’s done in Latin, it could work in the Usus Antiquior too. If Ars Nova, e.g, is acceptable, why not this?

FWLIW, I’ve always found the Organum style to have what I consider a good amount of Byzantine (Greek rather than Slavic) influence. The Organum style isn’t my favorite (not for that reason), but here’s one example, and a short one at that.

The use of ison gives it a distinctly Greek flavor.

Well, I new there was something, but now that you mention it, I guess that is the reason. :smiley:

THey are singing the Anaphora - the consecration from the altar, and the people singing their respective response hymns. The Choir are not using the common melodies, tho’ His Grace was using the normal chant tone…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.