Byzantines - Catholic and Orthodox (Christmas Services)

Which liturgies is your parish having?

We had Royal Hours this morning. Vespers with Divine Liturgy will begin at 3:00 and we will pray Great Compline at 9:30. Tomorrow morning, we will have Matins, followed by the Divine Liturgy.

I am most looking forward to Great Compline.

5 Likes

• Royal Hours this morning @ 8am
• Vesperal Divine Liturgy of St Basil @ 4pm
• Nativity of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the Adoration of the Magi (Orthos @ 8am and Divine Liturgy @ 9:30am)

I love the Royal Hours!

ZP

3 Likes

My OCA parish had Royal Hours & Typica this morning at 10. Vigil (Compline & Matins) is about to start at 6pm. I’ll be the reader for a good chunk of tonight’s service. We’ll have the Divine Liturgy for the Feast tomorrow morning.

4 Likes

I wanted to Compline also, missed it, due to circumstances.

December 24:

• Royal Hours for the Nativity (mid-morning)
  • The Order of Great Compline (short version) for the Nativity (evening)
  • Divine Liturgy for the Nativity of our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ (evening)

December 25:

• Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, Nativity (mid-morning)
2 Likes

I think we’re sticking to vigil tonight and Divine Liturgy tomorrow morning.

I hadn’t paid much attention, as we were supposed to to have been out of town. Too many sick people tanked the trip, and here we are , ,. ,

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about sick family members. Both my parents and my daughter have a nice cough :mask:

Blessed Nativity of our Lord!

ZP

thanks.

This one was strong enough that it took me out for about twelve hours, then a day of rest, and then a day back in bed exhausted (yet unable to sleep!).

Typically, a cold that takes most folks out for a few days hammers me for 4-8 hours, and kind of tired the next day with no more symptoms.

This one sure wasn’t “nice” . . .

They’d had it a full week when we called off travel . . .

Where were you headed?

ZP

San Jose. We usually visit my parents there each Christmas.

Where do you go to Church when you’re out there?

We accompany my parents to the RC parish where I grew up.

I want to drop in on the Melkites snd the BC parish, but . . .

1 Like

That’s Fr Sebastian’s Melkite parish (from the Institute of Catholic Culture).

1 Like
1 Like

7AM - Royal Hours
10AM - Vesperal Divine Liturgy of St. Basil
10:30PM - Festal Orthros
Midnight - Divine Liturgy for the Nativity (Chrysostom’s)
1:30AM - Breaking of Fast
3-4AM - Sleep

I am not yet rested - That is a load…

geo

2 Likes

Think of it as working up to the Paschal weekend . . .

:rofl: :scream: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I also ended up missing Great Compline.

How long is the short version? I’m guessing it is “Byzantine short“, which is nothing less than an hour.

1 Like

The short version includes the following (about 50 minutes):

Introduction
Three of the six psalms of Great Compline (Psalms 4, 6, 12)
God is With Us Hymn
Troparion of the Nativity - Tone 4
Kontakion of the Nativity - Tone 3
Litija (with procession) - Tone 1, Tone 5, Tone 6, Litany of the Litija, Closing prayers, and Aposticha
The Prayer of the Holy Prophet Simeon
Troparion of the Nativity - Tone 4
Blessing of Bread
Dismissal

2 Likes
1 Like

In my Ukrainian Greek Catholic parish we had Great Compline with Litiya, Divine Liturgy and myrovania on Nativity Eve (starting at 7 p.m.) and on the Nativity we had Divine Liturgy with myrovania. Dec. 26 we had Divine Liturgy for the Synaxis of the Mother of God. Dec. 27 I had to go to our UGCC cathedral in Philadelphia for the Feast of St. Stephen because Father had a prior commitment which precluded his offering Liturgy both at my parish and our sister parish.

For 2020, we have 11:30 a.m. Liturgy on the Feast of the Circumcision of Our Lord & St. Basil. Jan. 5 we have the Vigil of Theophany with the Great Blessing of Water and Jan. 6 Divine Liturgy with the Great Blessing of Water.

1 Like

Great post from my priest:

Once Christmas arrives on December 25, we enter a new liturgical period. The major period runs 40 days, from Jesus’ Birth to His 40 day Presentation to the Temple (Feb 2). Within these 40 days is some sub-division.
From December 25 to January 6, there became a 12-day period from the one major celebration to the next major observance. Thus, we have the “12 days of Christmas” that bridge the birth with the baptism and it became a festal period of time of great joy and celebration. As time progressed January 6 began to be called the “little Christmas.”
We have the 7 day Christmas tide which are part of the 12 Days of Christmas, focusing on immediate events up to His naming & Circumcision on the 8th day (January 1). Henceforth, we begin to prepare for the observance of His Baptism when He was 30 years old.

ZP

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.