C’mon health workers, get your swine flu shots

Hmm. Why aren’t health care workers getting flu shots?

"C’mon health workers, get your swine flu shots
Doctors and nurses who refuse could worsen fall outbreak, experts say

Health care workers have been bumped to the front of the line for swine flu shots this fall, but experts say the biggest worry isn’t whether doctors, nurses and other professionals can get the vaccine — it’s whether they will. "…

Entire article here: msnbc.msn.com/id/32586706/ns/health-swine_flu

Excerpt below is from the article at the link in my first post.

"…But a prominent critic of vaccines, including the H1N1 vaccine, said that if the majority of health workers don’t want to be immunized, it should be a warning to the rest of the population.

“We have to take seriously the concerns of health workers,” said Barbara Loe Fisher, co-founder of the National Vaccine Information Center. “If they do not want to take it, it should give everyone pause." …

There are plenty of doctors and nurses who smoke like chimneys and are obese, but I’m not going to assume that there is something wrong with keeping my lungs clear and staying in shape simply because someone with medical training makes bad choices. Ditto on those healthcare workers who made the lame excuses in the article about why they won’t get vaccinations. I note that they did not tell us if the “nurses” were of the highly educated RN variety or the CNA variety that don’t even need a high school diploma to be certified to bathe and move patients.

I hope that everyone takes some reasonable precautions to avoid getting sick since H1N1 flu did not go dormant this summer and it may well have mutated into something worse by the fall. I personally know a whole family of healthy people who contracted it in June and they got a lot sicker than with the usual flu.

From what I understand, this vaccine hasn’t really been tested. I know the military is giving it to everyone going to the middle east right now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.