C.s.c, D.d.

Does anyone know (okay - stupid way to start out…of course someone here does!) what the initials 'C.S.C. and ‘D.D.’ stand for and mean after a priest or Bishop’s name? Thank you!

D.D. = Doctor of Divinity

I think C.S.C. is the Congregation of the Holy Cross, but I may be wrong.

I concur!

D.D. is the abbreviation for the latin Divinitatis Doctor (Doctor of Divinity)

A young theologian named Fiddle
refused to accept his degree
"It’s bad enough being named Fiddle,
Without being Fiddle, D.D."

And CSC stands for the latin *Congregatio a Santa Cruce *(Congregation of the Holy Cross). This is the order that runs Notre Dame University in South Bend, Indiana!

[quote=Verbum Caro]I concur!

D.D. is the abbreviation for the latin Divinitatis Doctor (Doctor of Divinity)

And CSC stands for the latin *Congregatio a Santa Cruce *(Congregation of the Holy Cross). This is the order that runs Notre Dame University in South Bend, Indiana!
[/quote]

As well as King’s College in Wilkes-Barre, PA, and Stonehill College in Easton, MA.

I looked into this group when I was starting my Vocational Discernment.

[quote=ByzCath]As well as King’s College in Wilkes-Barre, PA, and Stonehill College in Easton, MA.

I looked into this group when I was starting my Vocational Discernment.
[/quote]

What is the group like in its orthodoxy, etc.?

Thank you ByzCath, I did not know that!

They also run the Oratory of St. Joseph in Montreal, Canada. Blessed Andre’ (C.S.C.) was an amazing man. I think the oratory is celebrating it’s centennial.

[quote=Elzee]What is the group like in its orthodoxy, etc.?
[/quote]

Let me just say two things.

1. They were not for me.
  2. Fr Richard McBrien is a professor of Theology at Notre Dame University and I think at one time he was the head of the department if he still isn’t.

I am familiar with one of their high schools, and they are modern liturgically and teaching wise, but they do have their limits.

I don’t want to get too specific.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.