C S Lewis remembered

Fans of C S Lewis, of which there seem to be many, may like to know that he has been remembered by the placing of a memorial in Poets’ Corner, Westminster Abbey.

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25031909

Good.

O God of searing truth and surpassing beauty, we give thee thanks for Clive Staples Lewis whose sanctified imagination lighteth fires of faith in young and old alike; Surprise us also with thy joy and draw us into that new and abundant life which is ours in Christ Jesus, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

GKC

I love C.S. Lewis. Appreciated his entire Narnia series, and hope to eventually read some of his other things.

That’s right, I always forget that he died the same day that JFK was assassinated – which was 50 years ago today.

You should check out Between Heaven and Hell by Dr. Peter Kreeft. Lewis, JFP, and Huxley (who also died the same day) all meet in the afterlife and have quite a conversation. Well worth it.

That’s Aldous Huxley, of course, just one of that prolific clan.

How have I never heard of that book before!? I have probably two dozen Peter Kreeft books, but I somehow missed that one. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Amen.

From another BBC story about the Chronicles of Narnia: “Some see Narnia as childish nonsense. To others, it is utterly transformative…For those, this evocative story, rich in symbolism, affirms…that there is indeed something beautiful and wonderful at the heart of the universe, and that this may be found, embraced and adored.”

I also love CS Lewis Mere Christianity is a must read, but my favorite is Screwtape Letters. Nice to hear of the memorial.

Mary,

Lewis was my favorite writer, till I found G. K. Chesterton. Lewis still touches my heart as well as my mind. By God’s grace may he now experience the fullness of the joy, of which he sent us tantalizing glimpses in his writings. I am sure if Jack could speak to us now, he would tell us not to look at him but to imitate the One he tried to imitate.

If I had to choose between having the man with us now, or having his writings, I would want the man.

I’d like to meet both both men.

And Belloc and a few others.

GKC

GKC,
We know you like to read a lot. Do you have a favorite writing from CS Lewis?
Mary.

As with Chesterton, I started collecting Lewis in 1965. Amongst his fiction, I particularly like THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH, non-fiction, THE ABOLITION OF MAN.

Hard to pick a favorite, I guess.

GKC

You will.

Deo volente

And thank you.

GKC

Back in the 70’s, when I was attending an Assemblies of God Bible college, I began reading Lewis. It started with Narnia, but quickly went from there to his other writings. The other students were crazy about him, too, but I saw what they didn’t see–or at least I was challenged by what they slid over and around–that he was a liturgical Christian not Evangelical or Pentecostal. They loved to point out the “many rooms in the same hall” idea Lewis put forward in “Mere Christianity,” but they certainly weren’t interested in knocking on any of those other doors, especially those that led into liturgical or “mainline” churches.

But, I had been brought up Episcopalian, so I had no such reservations. Indeed, reading Lewis led me back to the Episcopal Church for a time. He was such a clear thinker but even he had his limitations and biases, bless him, as we all do. I couldn’t, like him, remain in the Episcopal/Anglican communities. I saw the ravages that modernism was having on doctrine and spirituality.

It was Lewis’ great friend and benefactor, J. R. R. Tolkien who led me on to the Catholic Church, bless him, as well. I will always be grateful to Lewis for all he gave me–I still read him and get much from his writings. But a part of me has “moved on” and I think he would want me to do so. I think that now that he sees things beyond the “glass darkly” he would have been more open to ideas he simply couldn’t entertain when he was on earth. I hope when it comes my turn to face the full truth in Christ’s face, I can have his prayers and support. I often think of him and pray for his soul, and that of all the great people to whom I owe so much, who formed me and guided me along the narrow way.

CS Lewis is my favorite author. His ability to present other worlds in such detail and with such wonder was unmatched, even by his friend Tolkien. I love Tolkien as well, but Lewis tended to write in such a way that you forgot you were reading a book, and it became more like a conversation with him, or him sitting right there with you reading aloud.

This may be a little off-topic, but have you ever read Thomas Howard’s Evangelical Is Not Enough?

No, I’m afraid not, although I’ve heard good things about it. I only wish it had been written back in the 70’s when I could have used it. I had to work out for myself how liturgy and sacraments are benefits not barriers to faith–with the help of Lewis and Tolkien, that is. :wink:

Yeah, it’s a good book. (Course, in my case as a cradle Catholic I had grown up with liturgical Christianity, so “Evangelical Is Not Enough” was more informative to me in terms of learning about Evangelicals and Anglicans.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.