Cafitiria Catholisim?

I was wondering. Wouldn’t the concept of a “Cafitiria Catholic” be a bit of an oxymoron? I thought to be a Catholic in the true sense of the word you had to accept all the teachings of the church and not “pick and chose”? Or am I missing something? Thank you and God bless.

I believe we should all strive to be Homestyle Catholics

tee

Home-style Catholic!

I LOVE it!

Now we need somebody artistic to put a nice Norman Rockwell-y picture of the family dinner onto the T-shirts and posters, and caption with “Home-Style Catholic”.

I’d be the first in line to buy!

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was wondering. Wouldn’t the concept of a “Cafitiria Catholic” be a bit of an oxymoron? I thought to be a Catholic in the true sense of the word you had to accept all the teachings of the church and not “pick and chose”? Or am I missing something? Thank you and God bless.
[/quote]

1. Cafeteria
  2. You’re absolutely right. One is technically “Catholic” by baptism, hence the name, but to be truely Catholic one needs to accept all the church teaches.

Josh

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was wondering. Wouldn’t the concept of a “Cafitiria Catholic” be a bit of an oxymoron? I thought to be a Catholic in the true sense of the word you had to accept all the teachings of the church and not “pick and chose”? Or am I missing something? Thank you and God bless.
[/quote]

You’re not missing anything, dear Montie. Specifically speaking, there’s really no such thing as a “cafeteria Catholic” who is fully Catholic.

For example … like there’s no such thing as a “cafeteria” vegan who is fully vegan. Any vegan who believes and acts as though eating beef from time to time is perfectly okay and still consider themselves to be vegan, well, isn’t.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I’m not vegan, myself. Or vegetarian, either. So, I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone who is vegan or vegetarian. I’m just using that as an example. Thanks!

Yes. A Catholic who picks and chooses which doctrines of the Catholic Church he will accept and which he won’t accept is a heretical Catholic. Heretic is from the Greek hairein: to take, choose.

[quote=Todd Easton]Yes. A Catholic who picks and chooses which doctrines of the Catholic Church he will accept and which he won’t accept is a heretical Catholic. Heretic is from the Greek hairein: to take, choose.
[/quote]

Heretical Catholic is a much better term.

An oxymoron? Hmm…when I was a practicing cafeteria catholic, I was acting like a dum ox and a moron in the faith. So, yes, it is an oxymoron.

Veronica Anne…
before the term Cafeteria Catholic came into usage, I used the analogy of a Meat-eating Vegetarian.
Great minds think alike :clapping:

[quote=Todd Easton]Yes. A Catholic who picks and chooses which doctrines of the Catholic Church he will accept and which he won’t accept is a heretical Catholic. Heretic is from the Greek hairein: to take, choose.
[/quote]

…gee I guess not one of us is perfect and my virtue may well be another man’s vice…but then too my vice may be his/her outstanding virtue!..let’s make room for everyone with gentle correction lovingly, charitably and caringly given with a listening ear if I must…not name calling…and at this very moment my vices may well be all’s outstanding virtue…rare I think is the person who is knowingly and willingly definitely wrong…most of the time both I and others are simply genuinely mistaken…

What I hold to now may well change in the next moment, the next years…growth…

Viva la difference!
Regards Barb

I know I will get slammed for this, but I don’t see the term “cafeteria Catholic” as name calling.

I suppose it could be* used* for name calling, but generally I think it is just a descriptive term. I don’t see anyone opposing the use of the term faithful Catholic.

I personally try not to use the term myself, but in some cases it is the best way to get across the meaning.

Now, there have been many threads about this that have given me many learning opportunities. Please allow me to share what I have learned so far.

1)most people offended by the term cafeteria Catholic are really just struggling, sinning Catholics like the rest of us. The true cafeteria Catholics tend to take pride in the label.

2)anyone who has been baptized into the faith IS Catholic. It is not like a vegetarian who makes a choice and is then free to change their mind. Once a Catholic always a Catholic. So please do not say that cafeteria Catholics aren’t Catholic.

3)most people who use the term cafeteria Catholic mean absolutely no harm…they use it purely as a description.

I have learned more, but I will leave it there for now. Please take a breath and say a little prayer before responding…

Malia

I probably should have avoided any attempts at humor. I did not mean to offend anyone. I was only speaking of myself personally. For me the shoe fit, but that certainly may not be the case with everyone else. I apologize if my prior post appeared to be name calling.

[quote=Pax]I probably should have avoided any attempts at humor. I did not mean to offend anyone. I was only speaking of myself personally. For me the shoe fit, but that certainly may not be the case with everyone else. I apologize if my prior post appeared to be name calling.
[/quote]

Nah, I thought it was funny. And who can get mad at you for making fun of yourself? lol

Malia

[quote=Mt19:26]Heretical Catholic is a much better term.
[/quote]

I believe “heretical Catholicism” is an oxymoron, for Catholicism cannot be heretical :wink: I would call it anti-Catholic… for in being a Cafeteria Catholic one is ANTI- whatever teachings of the Church which they don’t accept.

[quote=Feanaro’s Wife]The true cafeteria Catholics tend to take pride in the label.
[/quote]

Uh … hi.

Me: “cafeteria Catholic.” Do I like the term? I do not. I view it as insulting because it implies that my Catholicism is somehow defective. I also resent the implication that my “cafeteria Catholicism” stems from moral laziness, stupidity, or something similar.

Then, Penny, why do you use it?

I use it because everybody else uses it anyway (although not everyone spells it correctly…), and I’m going to get tagged with it anyway. But it really burns my britches.

So…, I’m a little confused. Someone baptized Catholic but does not believe Catholic doctrine, but instead believes (for the sake of arguement) the teachings of Mohammed and becomes Moslem (or Hindu, or whatever) is still Catholic??? Does that means that Hitler was Catholic?That must be why he had so many priest at Dachau. Sounds a lot like the English excuse for kidnapping sailors for their navy of “once an Englishman, always an Englishman”. Please don’t argue from the point that all baptism is into the Catholic Church,(my best friend, who is Lutheran as they come, would be very surprised to find out that she is Catholic) because then there are few if any Christians that are not Catholic

What if you were born Hindu…once a Hindu, always a Hindu?
You are what you believe, and I have much more sympathy for our separated brethren who are honest about doctrinal differences than the people who are in open dissent from the Church and insist that they are “Catholic”.

I believe cows are large mobile vegetables. Does that make me a cafeteria vegan? :wink:

[quote=Catilieth]Veronica Anne…
before the term Cafeteria Catholic came into usage, I used the analogy of a Meat-eating Vegetarian.
Great minds think alike :clapping:
[/quote]

…smiling!:tiphat: …

[/quote]

as I understand things…only when speaking on matters of Faith and Morals…

as I understand things…

and blessings to you too and all…

Barb

[quote=Matt16_18]I believe cows are large mobile vegetables. Does that make me a cafeteria vegan? :wink:
[/quote]

Do you what you call a cow who has lost all its legs?

Ground Beef

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.