Cafitiria Catholisim?

[quote=estesbob]Do you what you call a cow who has lost all its legs?

Ground Beef
[/quote]

Hi to you Ground Beef… a cow without legs?:… in trouble and will probably be destroyed…poor cow!

Regards Barb smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_67.gif

[quote=Todd Easton]Yes. A Catholic who picks and chooses which doctrines of the Catholic Church he will accept and which he won’t accept is a heretical Catholic. Heretic is from the Greek hairein: to take, choose.
[/quote]

Knowing the Greek root of the word is far less important then knowing it’s definition. Heritic or heresy is a nasty lable to hang on anyone. Which is the reason the Church recognizes degrees of Heresy. The so called ‘Cafeteria Catholics’ are not heretical. You may call them Schismatics, in that they have severed themselves from full communion with the Church. However all Schismatics are not Heritics, the proper term for them is ‘Rebellious Catholics’ One learns something new each day, now you have a different buzz-word with which to lable people.
dAN

I’m sticking with meat-eating vegetarian as the label. :rolleyes: I think it is very clear.

In the 70’s and 80’s those of us that were orthodox and not with “the spirit of vatican ii” and would not go along with sometimes out and out sacrilegious innovations to the Mass, or go along with their absolutely wrong teachings(I was asked to be removed from the “catholic” high school because I challenged the “religion” teacher when she was teaching that abortion is a personal choice) were considered “rebellious”. There were more than a few of us labeld “rebellious” at that time, and we were orthodox. Perhaps we should call them heterodox Catholics, since that is a more exact definition.

[quote=Catilieth]I’m sticking with meat-eating vegetarian as the label. :rolleyes: I think it is very clear.

[/quote]

I have many friends who are vegetarians but wear leather shoes… I don’t get it but there you are :rolleyes: …

[quote=Catilieth]So…, I’m a little confused. Someone baptized Catholic but does not believe Catholic doctrine, but instead believes (for the sake of arguement) the teachings of Mohammed and becomes Moslem (or Hindu, or whatever) is still Catholic??? Does that means that Hitler was Catholic?That must be why he had so many priest at Dachau. Sounds a lot like the English excuse for kidnapping sailors for their navy of “once an Englishman, always an Englishman”. Please don’t argue from the point that all baptism is into the Catholic Church,(my best friend, who is Lutheran as they come, would be very surprised to find out that she is Catholic) because then there are few if any Christians that are not Catholic

What if you were born Hindu…once a Hindu, always a Hindu?
You are what you believe, and I have much more sympathy for our separated brethren who are honest about doctrinal differences than the people who are in open dissent from the Church and insist that they are “Catholic”.
[/quote]

I’m a little confused. Any Christian who turns his back on God and/or Jesus could be a Heritic. But as I have said many times, there are degrees of Heresy. That is not for anyone to decide, except their Church. . I’m a , a rebellious Catholic but still a Catholic. I accept the Dogma, but not the cant of the Traditionalists. Those who say all the Popes were good and holy men. I point to Benidict IV or the DiMedici popes and several others. Sixtus VI who appointed his 12 year old grand-nephew a Cardinal. Or those who say only the Church can interpret the Bible. I don’t need an Institution to digest and spoon feed me the word of God, fact is, I resent the implication. Make no mistake I am not saying I’m right and every one else is wrong. As Thoreau said, “Some march to a diferent drum, let each march to the beat they hear…” That’s a loose quote and I’m sure to be corrected. Good night Dan

[quote=Matt16_18]I believe cows are large mobile vegetables. Does that make me a cafeteria vegan? :wink:
[/quote]

Save a plant today, eat more meat! :smiley:

[quote=dancus]I’m a little confused. Any Christian who turns his back on God and/or Jesus could be a Heritic. But as I have said many times, there are degrees of Heresy. That is not for anyone to decide, except their Church. . I’m a , a rebellious Catholic but still a Catholic. I accept the Dogma, but not the cant of the Traditionalists. Those who say all the Popes were good and holy men. I point to Benidict IV or the DiMedici popes and several others. Sixtus VI who appointed his 12 year old grand-nephew a Cardinal. Or those who say only the Church can interpret the Bible. I don’t need an Institution to digest and spoon feed me the word of God, fact is, I resent the implication. Make no mistake I am not saying I’m right and every one else is wrong. As Thoreau said, “Some march to a diferent drum, let each march to the beat they hear…” That’s a loose quote and I’m sure to be corrected. Good night Dan
[/quote]

None of your examples show a rejection of Church teachings except for your assumption that you are the only one who needs to decide what you believe the Bible says…in other words, you are the final authority on the Bible. The issue is if you don’t believe what a particular religion espouses, are you of that religion?.i.e. if a person calls themselves Buddhist but does not believe in the teaching of Buddha,are they Buddhist? I would say that by definition, they are not. Or if someone says they are Moslem but does not believe in the teachings of Mohammed, then by definition, they can’t be Moslem. In the same way, if someone says that he is a vegetarian, but eats beef and turkey, are they vegetarians? If you say you are Catholic but don’t believe Catholic Doctrine, are you Catholic…

[quote=Catilieth]None of your examples show a rejection of Church teachings except for your assumption that you are the only one who needs to decide what you believe the Bible says…in other words, you are the final authority on the Bible. If you say you are Catholic but don’t believe Catholic Doctrine, are you Catholic…
[/quote]

You said I’m the final authority on the BIble, not I Sir or Madam. Furthermore I believe everyword in the Bible, but I don’t need it pre-digested and fed to me. Before I read two chapters each day. I say a little prayer to the Holy Spirit, the personification of Wisdom. Simply asking for enough wisdom to understand what I read, Your opinion, as I understand it, I need the Church to interperate the Bible. I gave you my opinion earlier in this post, interesting Church vs Holy Spirit. Guess who I chose.

I’m sorry if I gave you the impression I don’t follow Church Dogma. I simply refuse to march in slavish lock-step with the Traditionalists. Yes I am a Catholic, a rebel, but still a Catholic. Since you believe I’m not, or question the fact, it’s your duty to report me to the Archbishop. He’s in Harrisburg I’ll supply the phone number next on line. Who knows once you present the evidence he may decide to excommunicate me. No one can ever accuse me of not trying to make a persons day Dan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.