Cain Releases Clarifying Statement: I'm Pro-Life on Abortion

Cain Releases Clarifying Statement: I’m Pro-Life on Abortion

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has released a new statement clarifying his remarks on abortion – that has caused considerable debate about whether he is truly pro-life.

lifenews.com/2011/10/20/cain-releases-clarifying-statement-im-pro-life-on-abortion/

It appears Cain does have a background that shows he will vote pro-life and will fight for the cause. If he is the candidate I would look forward to him asking Obama in debates why he supports a Planned Parenthood that has many racist policies.

[Herman] Cain reminds me of the Biblical story of Cain and Abel. Is this just me?

Haha now you have done it. No one is going to vote for him now because his last name is the same as a biblical character that killed his brother :wink:

:confused:

Unless I missed something, the clarification doesn’t clarify whether he believes abortion should actually be illegal, as opposed to the idea of overturning Roe v. Wade and returning the matter to the states, but supporting legalized abortion in the states (while being personally opposed to abortion oneself).

“I will appoint judges who understand the original intent of the Constitution. Judges who are committed to the rule of law know that the Constitution contains no right to take the life of unborn children.
I will oppose government funding of abortion. I will veto any legislation that contains funds for Planned Parenthood. I will do everything that a President can do, consistent with his constitutional role, to advance the culture of life.”

This is good enough for me to continue considering him.

Actually, Cain reminds me of McCain.

haha they are like polar opposites within the Republican party.

Sort of like Cain and Abel?:smiley:

The quote shows he knows that the Constitution contains no right to abortion, which anyone who has read the document knows, whatever cynical nonsense a court may spew. It also shows an opposition to the public funding of Planned Parenthood and therefore of abortion, which is a good position. What it does not say is whether he believes abortion should or should not be legal. Going by his previous comments and the notable lack of clarity here, it seems to me that either he does in fact support abortion being legal and is trying to obscure that fact or else he is incredibly inept at communicating his positions even after one round of misunderstanding.

I’m lost again. Where are we at? Is he for it again, against it again, or still just joking?

Haha uh Roe v. Wade apparently didn’t know that and I would bet at least 25% of the nation does not know that the Constitution doesn’t protect a right to an abortion which is based on the right to privacy. I think the more important right that they have made up though is a right to have sex without “threat” of pregnancy. At least that is what I glean when the Supreme court says “we can’t get rid of abortion because for decades people have relied on having abortion as an option should their contraceptives fail”. Doesn’t that language reek of basically saying that Americans have a right to have sex and not get pregnant?

The fact is Cain realizes we can’t just put into law a bill banning abortions everywhere when you still have Roe v. Wade on the books as constitutional. It appears from his past he definitely understands how Planned Parenthood is a racist organization and I would look forward to him challenging Obama on that point :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.