Cake request for 3-year-old Hitler namesake denied

Cake request for 3-year-old Hitler namesake denied

14 hours ago

EASTON, Pa. (AP) — The father of 3-year-old Adolf Hitler Campbell, denied a birthday cake with the child’s full name on it by one New Jersey supermarket, is asking for a little tolerance. Heath Campbell and his wife, Deborah, are upset not only with the decision made by the Greenwich ShopRite, but with an outpouring of angry Internet postings in response to a local newspaper article over the weekend on their flare-up over frosting.

google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hNXg5FqcqZg1KUgf6PNrmnRRk-4wD95490680

To be honest, I think that naming your child after one of the most evil figures in history is a form of abuse. What is wrong with people?

But that’s still no reason for the store to take it out on the poor kid by not giving a birthday cake - not like he chose his name himself!

I wonder if the store thought it was some kind of hoax or prank.

I agree with you.

Sue me, but I will fight to protect that child. I think a case could be made that the name Adolph Hitler is vulgar language and the cake decorator was within her rights not to write those words with frosting.

I was surprised the other day when I learned that a classmate of one of my children was named Nero. :eek:

To be honest, if the person genuinely wanted the cake and, say, paid upfront for it, I wouldn’t care if they were hoaxing or not.

It’s not like they were asking for something blasphemous to be written on it or anything - just a name of a person. Admittedly a bad, not to say downright evil, person, but then matches were originally sold under the trademark ‘Lucifer’, so I don’t see anything particularly disturbing about a name on a cake.

Oh come on, my kids all have real, traditionally spelled names. Two from the Bible. None can find any merchandise with their names printed on them. So his name isn’t gonna be on a cake. Maybe he should have a Diego cake or a SpongeBob cake instead. Big whoopin deal. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had a co-worker who wanted to name his kid Lucifer if he ever had one. As you might guess, he is not a Christian.

Actually, I wonder if the name Adolf Hitler might be considered a kind of obscenity in some places. I recall that in Germany, they actually required images of the swastika to be removed from the game Wolfenstein 3D for it to be sold there. They are very sensitive about references to Nazism there. I do not know, but I would imagine that Israel would also be a place where Hitler’s name is equivalent to obscenity.

Regardless, those places are not the United States. I was just digressing.

Another option, of course, would be for the cake to simply say “A.H. Campbell”.

First, they name their child after one of the most evil persons to ever have lived on this earth, Adolf Hitler. Second, they name another child Aryan Nation. They name another child after Heinrich Himmler. They wanted a cake before decorated with swastikas. Their house is decorated with swastikas as well. It is blatenly obvious that these people are nazi supporters. It’s a little ironic how these neo-nazis want a little tolerance for their child’s name to be on a birthday cake. Good for Shoprite for denying this. Shame on Walmart again for doing whatever to make a dollar.

I have heard many names that are downright ridiculous. I think some of them can be a form of child abuse. How will anyone take them seriously with a name that is intended to be provocative or funny? I find it very difficult to keep a straight face when I hear some of the names that are out there.

The parents should be arrested for naming their child that, and the state should change the child’s name to something normal. Then maybe give him a cake with his new name on it.

The good ole’ LV of PA. I live in this area. It is a very strange area. Very racist, yet many mixed couples. This does not surprise me. I would not have refused to put the name on the cake, I would have drawn the line with the schwatzka. i don’t know if I spelled that correctly. I am glad that I do not know how to spell that.

I don’t think I would have put the name on that cake either because the parents of this child clearly named their children these names because of other reasons than they have mentioned. It’s not right to use this innocent child to promote the horrible views of his parents that’s what I think they are trying to do with this whole birthday cake thing.

These children will probably change their names when they are older if by some miracle they grow up loving and unprejudiced unlike their parents.

Also, he’s three. I don’t think he cares if his name is on the cake as long as he can have a nice big piece of it with some ice cream and milk.

Why didn’t they just say “Happy B-day Adolf”?

The reason: They want to promote their views to everyone.

And Swastikas? What is wrong with these people!!!

Don’t they do what they did to people. Made lampshades from their skin. Gassed women and children. Starved to death most of them.

What next? Horray for destroying the twin towers cake?

Shame on Shoprite and HURRAY for WalMart. Sorry, you can’t pick and choose which names…what if Shoprite decided not to make a cake for a Mexican named Jesus…or a Muslim named Osama?

If you read the article, these folks are obviously racist. First of all, they asked for a swastika, so it wasn’t just like they refused to give the guy an Adolf Hitler cake. His intentions were pretty blatant. Then, you find out that the kid’s sister is name Jocelyn Aryan Nation, and I have a hard time thinking the dad is anything but a neo-nazi nutjob.

As much as I might object to someone raising their child in that manner, I again ask, would it be different if it were a Muslim named Osama with a crescent moon instead? The Dad claims NOT to be racist. I support his right to name his children and celebrate their birthdays.

This is terrible child abuse.:mad: What did these little kids do to earn a life advertising what insane parents they had? They ought to be in a foster home with regular names.
Naming a child Osama would be giving a child a common name (I think). Naming a child Osama Bin Ladin and another one Hijacker and asking for a cake decorated with graffiti like the Al Quaeda use for propaganda at home is quite another.
Messed-up naming is a kind of abuse. Like any kind of abuse, it’s hard to draw a line, but there are examples that leave no doubt, and this is one of them. Maybe the parents who named a daughter after a part of the female anatomy (seriously happened) just didn’t know, or any of the many who name boys Male and girls Female, but these folks knew better. It’s pretty near impossible not to know better than that. Kids don’t deserve to go through life with names that are signs announcing that they were born to sickos. It’s the first thing anyone will know about them, and how will strangers know if they’re like their parents or different? They’ll be judged by someone else’s insanity until they’re old enough to change their names.

A crescent moon with the name Osama (which isn’t an uncommon name in the Islamic world) can symbolize anything. A better analogy would be a cake with Osama Bin Laden and the Twin Towers burning.

A swastika by itself can mean other thing in rare cases, but a swastika with the words Adolf Hitler on a cake for a family where one daughter has the middle name Aryan Nation can mean only one thing.

I’m not sure if it’s abuse, but it is mean…my grandmother went to school with a girl named,
Ima Hogg
I went to school with a kid named Harry Kiester
Now, neither of those is as awful as Adolf Hitler. I’m sure the children should be removed from the home, not because of their names, but because of what is probably being taught there. You can’t take children away because of a stupid name, otherwise celebs. wouldn’t be allowed to keep their children.

I agree - this guy is totally trying to get the heat off him and his family by saying how “tolerant” he is. You don’t name your children this way, and have swastikas on things if you are “tolerant”. I call BS here.

I think the store did the right thing. Good for them. :thumbsup:

Tells ya something about Wallymart though, doesn’t it. :wink:

~Liza

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.