‘Calibration issue’ in Maryland voting machines switches GOP picks to Democrat

washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/28/calibration-issue-in-maryland-voting-machines-swit/

A calibration issue in multiple Maryland voting machines is reportedly switching voters’ picks from Republican to Democrat.

“When I first selected my candidate on the electronic machine, it would not put the ‘x’ on the candidate I chose — a Republican — but it would put the ‘x’ on the Democrat candidate above it,” said Donna Hamilton, who voted at the Frederick County Center,

This happened multiple times with multiple selections. Every time my choice flipped from Republican to Democrat. Sometimes it required four or five tries to get the ‘x’ to stay on my real selection,” she said.

Miss Hamilton said she notified officials of the problem. “I’m not sure what was done about it. If someone is not paying close attention, they could end up voting for the wrong candidate,” she told Watchdog.org.

Queen Anne’s County Sheriff Gary Hofmann, a Republican, said the same thing happened to him when he voted early in Queen Anne’s County.

“This is happening here as well. It occurred on two candidates on my machine. I am glad I checked. Many voters have reported this here as well,” he told Watchdog.org.

Two other Maryland voters reported the same issue Friday in Anne Arundel County. A Diebold touchscreen voting machine switched their Republican votes to Democrats, Watchdog.org reported.

Joe Torre, election director in Anne Arundel, called it a “calibration issue” involving a single machine, Watchdog.org reported.

A similar issue was reported in a Chicago-area voting machine last week, as a Republican candidate for the Illinois state legislature tried to vote for himself and ended up selecting his Democratic opponent.

baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/10/28/ballot-switch-claims/

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ)—Early voting just started last week in Maryland, but there are already accusations that some voting machines are changing Republican votes to Democrat. Now Republicans are calling for an investigation by the State Board of Elections.

The machines are not really “changing votes.” The touch screens just need to be calibrated.

I have an idea, why don’t they test and calibrate those machines BEFORE people start voting on them? :newidea:

Nice try. But it happens the same way too often for it to be just a coincidence.

Not really. The same thing will happen when you touch a particular area of the screen every time. Once a machine is out of calibration it stays that way until someone fixes it.

Add to that, I have yet to hear any Dems complain that their votes were accidentally transferred to the Republican candidate.:rolleyes:

We’ll see if this attitude holds if the same thing happens to those voting democrat.

If the democrats have to cheat to win in Maryland, they are in much more trouble than I thought. :smiley:

If that were to happen, Eric Holder would be on a flight to Maryland lickety-split, and would immediately launch an investigation!

Peace, Mark

:thumbsup::smiley:

I wouldn’t wait to find out - it will be a long time before elections consistently have “calibration” errors that hurt a Democrat.

Regardless, how is saying “multiple elections are now in question, and should be held up, but it’s okay, because it’s a calibration error that caused everything…” any better.

If they acknowledge calibration errors, simply halt all voting and postpone the election.

That’s true.

The machines are not changing any votes.

The people who calibrate the machines are the ones changing the votes.

I don’t trust those machines. We need to go back to good old-fashioned paper ballots where all you have to worry about are hanging chads. :smiley:

And I’ll bet they’re all democrats! :wink:

Peace, Mark

Why? It was one machine and it has been decommissioned until it can be repaired.

Why are you assuming there is any malfeasance involved? They’re machines and like every other machine they malfunction from time to time. We see the same thing in every major election in which these machines are used and I don’t remember anyone around here complaining when miscalibration results in Republican votes.

I’d rather keep the machines. I don’t need to be reminded that people who can’t even figure out how to punch a hole in a piece of paper are out there deciding the future of our nation.

It happened all the time in South Carolina a few elections ago on (gasp! :eek:) Diebold machines. Everything would be fixed merely by requiring printouts and verification by the voter of the receipt.

People like to make conspiracies out of everything.

This happened quote frequently in 2004 but neither Republicans nor Democrats pay any attention to the others’ plants any longer but oonly wall themselves up in their own infotainment verse. So many Catholics still fail to grasp that atheism in contemporary America is an outgrowth of voting machine shenanigans and many many exercises of vote suppression during the Bush era, when the obligations of honesty were shunted aside to try to build a ‘planet majority’
The Democrats got up to speed during the past four years. Heaven help us if at the Judgment we’re explaining to the Lord that we had to cheat and slander and shut our eyes and ears to corruption because we were told that we had to vote for this set of candidates for moral reasons.

gee willikers! Can you give one specific incident that can be documented, please? that would be great! And thank you, in advance for your cooperation.:slight_smile:

Voter suppression in the Bush Era,right,uh huh.Gee I wonder what the left would ever do without Bush as their scapegoat for everything:rolleyes:

Ahh yes,blame George Bush…the only voter suppression I am aware of in 04’ was the Dems disallowing the overseas military ballots to count,which ,most assuredly would have been in GW favor.Not to mention the ever complicit media calling it for Gore so early on,that many in the panhandle of Florida didn’t bother to vote.So really,Bush won,not because of voter suppression but in spite of it!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.