Calif. College Offers Scholarship to Illegal Immigrants

A public community college in California has set up a scholarship fund for immigrant students — including illegal immigrants. The $2,500 scholarship has sparked anger by some, including at least one lawmaker who is threatening to cut off federal funding to the school...
foxnews.com/us/2010/05/28/calif-college-offers-scholarship-to-illegals/

Strangely enough this is not unusual. Here in Illinois, all state schools offer in state tuition (the equivalent of about a 50% discount) to all children of illegal immigrants if they graduate from an Illinois High School or can show continuous residency for two years. They then become eligble for all university scholarships. In short, someone born in Guatemala, and here illegaly, is favored over any legal resident of Michigan or Iowa.

So the school offers financial help to students (i.e. humans/children of God) in need?

Awsome.

SWEET Jiminy Crickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll get my College paid for .....I just won't show my ID when asked How else would I prove I'm illegal ?] :D:D:D

[quote="dnu, post:3, topic:199917"]
So the school offers financial help to students (i.e. humans/children of God) in need?

Awsome.

[/quote]

To illegal aliens who are breaking American law.

[quote="kimmielittle, post:4, topic:199917"]
SWEET Jiminy Crickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll get my College paid for .....I just won't show my ID when asked How else would I prove I'm illegal ?] :D:D:D

[/quote]

:rotfl:

[quote="dnu, post:3, topic:199917"]

Awsome.

[/quote]

For me this is a rather complex issue. In Illinios, state universities receive about 30-40% of their revenues from the state, which means mostly state income taxes. (Constitutionally it is supposed to be the majority--read in excess of 50%--but that is another issue). The concept of in state tutition is that if your family is already paying for the university, by paying the state income tax, thus you should, in fairness, be recieving some discount. While the parents of some illegal immigrants pay a minimal income tax, many don't and most pay far less than your average since taxes are graduated/scaled. Yes all God's children deserve help. But if you went by the principle of awarding only those who need help, you would give all the funding to foreign students, since few Americans are as poor as the poor in Guatemala, Tanzania, Burma, etc.. Yet no one argues that this should be the case. So a reasonable discussion must procede in terms of how much goes to each category. The issue is what percentage of funding breaks should go to those who have already paid for the school (generally in state residence who paid to build the university) and what percentage should be another form of welfare. Personally, I might only use private donations for non-state residents, and use state revenues only for state residents. The problem with this is that donors don't really intend for their money to be used in that manner, and thus it could lead to fewer or smaller donations.

While I agree with the principle that the children of illegal immigrants should not be "punished" for what their parents did (illegally immigrate and thus take resource illegally, which we used to call stealing). At the same time it is possible to look at in-state tuition as a fairness issue, in terms of who paid for it, and by this sense legal status matters less than residency.

But I raise these questions, because I don't think they are as simple as you imply.

[quote="stanmaxkolbe, post:1, topic:199917"]

A public community college in California has set up a scholarship fund for immigrant students — including illegal immigrants. The $2,500 scholarship has sparked anger by some, including at least one lawmaker who is threatening to cut off federal funding to the school...
foxnews.com/us/2010/05/28/calif-college-offers-scholarship-to-illegals/

[/quote]

I don't think a lot of outcry will come from the immediate area. Santa Ana has a huge illegal immigrant population. Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all. Illegals already get in state tuition.

[quote="Prof_K, post:2, topic:199917"]
Strangely enough this is not unusual. Here in Illinois, all state schools offer in state tuition (the equivalent of about a 50% discount) to all children of illegal immigrants if they graduate from an Illinois High School or can show continuous residency for two years. They then become eligble for all university scholarships. In short, someone born in Guatemala, and here illegaly, is favored over any legal resident of Michigan or Iowa.

[/quote]

Why would that be surprising? If someone grew up in a state, and their parents are paying taxes, why shouldn't they be considered in-state residents?

I'm not sure about the Santa Ana College scholarship, but I suspect any illegal resident which would qualify for the scholarship would be in a similar situation. They grew up in the US, having been brought to this country illegally by their parents at a younger age.

[quote="Dale_M, post:9, topic:199917"]
Why would that be surprising? If someone grew up in a state, and their parents are paying taxes, why shouldn't they be considered in-state residents?

I'm not sure about the Santa Ana College scholarship, but I suspect any illegal resident which would qualify for the scholarship would be in a similar situation. They grew up in the US, having been brought to this country illegally by their parents at a younger age.

[/quote]

Illegal immigrants do not pay their fair share of taxes. They should benefit from our extremely cheap in state tuition at colleges. This city of Santa Ana is not a good place. It has a lot of crime. Why? Illegal immigrants. They should not be encouraging more.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.