Calif. high school ends 'Beat the Jew' game

AP:

Calif. high school ends 'Beat the Jew' game

LA QUINTA, Calif. — Seven seniors at a Southern California high school were facing disciplinary action for participating in a game called "Beat the Jew" in which losers were subjected to "incineration" or "enslavement," a school administrator said Friday.

The game involved some students playing the role of Nazis who blindfolded and dropped off other students playing Jews who must find their way back to the campus, said Sherry Johnstone, assistant superintendent of personnel for Desert Sands Unified School District.

It was not immediately clear what either punishment comprised for losing players, she said.

Seven seniors at La Quinta High School could be suspended or barred from graduation, among other measures, Johnstone said.
"This is appalling to us," she said. "We want our students to understand the horror of a title like this."

Also check this story in The USA Today.
Legally, it's not clear that the school even has the right to suspend them for noncriminal off-campus activities. "Beat the Jew" is highly offensive but some might say the same of "cowboys and Indians".
But, Heaven help us, what kind of kids are we turning out these days?

I know this might sound weird but it is my theory. I think that the levels of political correctness enforced in some places, especially in parts of CA, combined with a teenagers desire for autonomy as well as rebellion from the rules, leads to these kinds of games. They KNOW it is offensive & that is the point. They WANT to be offensive because to them, it is funny to stick it to the pc authority. There are kids who enjoy doing everything opposite to the societal rules & some kids who are comfortable with a little rebellion. Not to dismiss bad behavior but we also have to remember they are brain damaged during those teen yrs. Their bodies are developed but their brains are not. It makes them impulsive and not very able to see around corners or down the road to look at the consequences of their actions.

I’m not saying what these kids did what right in any way whatsoever, but i think if it was a game about Christians or Muslims, it would not be such a big story.

Anybody besides me ever wonder why saying anything bad about Jews automatically makes you a horrible person and an anti-semite?

Once again, i’m not saying these kids were right in doing this, but just makes me think.

So this is what passes for entertainment when all ball games are banned in streets and greens.... Whilst such an insensitive game is a sad occurrence, it is an inevitable consequence of the combination of political correctness and arbitrary restrictions on what young people can do in their free time -- and this game is as much the fault of the schools and local government as it is the childrens; and should come as a warning that if society expects children to play by it's rules; it must offer the children practicable, affordable and enjoyable alternatives to this sort of behaviour (as well as other youth culture things Viz. Gangs).

The Holocaust has made most stereotypes etc. about Jews sensitive and not speakable in polite society (at least in Britain, I don’t know about over there). I never even heard of most of the historic negative stereotypes of Jews until quite late in my teens.

Doesn’t America also have an influential Anti-Defamation Legue and lobby opposed to anti-Semitism–though they often conflate opposition to Israeli policies with anti-Semitism.

Although the California education system is about next to lowest in national rankings, it is apparent that these students learned about the holocaust, and what Nazis were (just as Prince Harry knew when he was photographed dressed as one).

Hopefully the parents of the knucklehead that named it 'Beat the Jew' will have the integrity to ground the kid and make it watch some documentaries on the Holocaust. It's appropriate given that many kids are already desensitized in part by gruesome video games.

It's simply a role-playing game, and not a very sophisticated one. The same game could be recast as American soldiers behind enemy lines, or convicts escaped from prison, or corporate or international spies.

I tend to agree with the superintendent, who said "There was no threat; there was no crime," she said. "They just played a game that had an ugly, insensitive, stupid name." I think it actually generates some empathy in the players for Jews on the run, although being a game, only in the most superficial way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.