California Attorney General Asks State Supreme Court to Void Gay Marriage Ban

You knew this was coming

**California Attorney General Asks State Supreme Court to Void Gay Marriage Ban

SAN FRANCISCO — California Attorney General Jerry Brown changed course on the state’s new same-sex marriage ban Friday and urged the state Supreme Court to void Proposition 8.

In a dramatic reversal, Brown filed a legal brief saying the measure that amended the California Constitution to limit marriage to a man and a woman is itself unconstitutional because it deprives a minority group of a fundamental right. Earlier, Brown had said he would defend the ballot measure against legal challenges from gay marriage supporters.

I am calling for a complete boycott of California. They are already morally bankrupt. We need to financially bankrupt them. Only then will they get the hint.

Do you suppose it has anything to do with the fact that he is thinking about running for Gov. in the next election??

Ex-post Facto is illegal in the US in contract law. They better be very careful where trying to do this will take the matter.

California is becoming representative of the new global Sodom and Gomorrah.

That’s already been done. We’re looking at a deficit of $40 billion.

Wasn’t Jerry Brown a Jesuit seminarian at one time?

That means the USA is still evolving.

Uh…ok. Here’s a problem with boycotting:

• I live in California. I can’t boycott my own state or else I’ll die of starvation (or some other means that requires me to pay money, like doctor visits)

• California is so far in debt that the only I can see ourselves we getting out of the hole is if the Government lends us more money…which, ironically enough, would increase our debt

• If you want to fight gay marriage, you have use a trifecta sword:
    Prayer
    Sacrifice
    Proposition

The voters count, so if we can get enough voters to vote against gay marriage (or for tradition marriage, whichever it takes), we’ll win…for now. The battle is ongoing, so we’ll always have to fight the good fight. For the praise and glory of God’s Name and for the good of all the Church! :slight_smile:

By the way, Proposition 8 did pass, so no need to worry about gays overturning it for now. Be viligant, yes, but do not worry or fear. Worry is useless and fear is disasterious.

Do the people of California ever wonder if some of their problems are not fully man made?

Plus, if you boycott California your access to produce will be greatly impacted. California is a completely different place, though. I didn’t realize that until I left.

For example?

Peregrinus, your logic escapes me!

There is no reason why they should not be able to ahve a civil union with the same legal benefits that marriage has to offer with no fear of it being turned over by the government.

Isn’t it funny that California is probably the most liberal and secular State in the American Union but it STILL rejected so-called Same Sex Marriage?I think that THIS is a miracle.All Jerry Brown is doing is attempting to subvert democracy-are you sure he is not a Canadian politician?.He probably would be much more comfortable living in my country where the politicians are terrified of direct demovracy and plebecites.So-called Same Sex Marriage and Lawless abortion were not introduced by politicians who would feel the wrath of the electorate,but by untouchable social engineers in our supreme court.:frowning:

The only right that gays want is the right to use the power of the state to punish anyone who dares to say that what they do is wrong.

Under California’s Domestic Partnerships they have that…but contend that anything less than full “marriage” extended to same-sex partners is analogous to the “separate but equal” racial laws of the Jim Crow era.

Are the legal benefits actually identical?

According to Wiki:

While domestic partners receive most of the benefits of marriage, several differences remain. These differences include, in part:

* Couples seeking domestic partnership must already share a residence, married couples may be married without living together.
* Couples seeking domestic partnership must be 18 or older, minors can be married before the age of 18 with the consent of their parents.
* California permits married couples the option of confidential marriage, there is no equivalent institution for domestic partnerships. In confidential marriages, no witnesses are required and the marriage license is not a matter of public record.
* Married partners of state employees are eligible for the CalPERS long-term care insurance plan, domestic partners are not.
* There is, at least according to one appellate ruling, no equivalent of the Putative Spouse Doctrine for domestic partnerships. [3]

In addition to these differences specific to state law, should the Defense of Marriage Act be found unconstitutional or repealed, married persons in California might enjoy all the federal benefits of marriage, including Constitutionally-required recognition of their relationships as marriages in the rest of the United States under the Full Faith and Credit Clause.[citation needed]

In addition to these differences specific to the United States, some countries that recognize same-sex marriages performed in California as valid in their own country, (e.g., Israel [4]), do not recognize same-sex domestic partnerships performed in California.

Many supporters of same-sex marriage also argue that the use of the word marriage itself constitutes a significant social difference,[citation needed] and in the majority opinion of In Re Marriage Cases, the California Supreme Court agreed, [4] suggesting an analogy with a hypothetical that branded interracial marriages “transracial unions”.

That’s just silly! You can think whatever you want about the morality of two men or two women loving each other. Just don’t attack their right to equal protection in a secular society.

But why is California morally bankrupt when you have Catholic priests who teach Catholic theology in Catholic colleges saying that homosexual marriage is in accord with Catholic teaching? And this laicised priest is currently married to his male partner?
holycrosscardinalnewmansociety.org/articles/news/081208_nickoloff-homosexual-promotion.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.