California city pays homeless $3,000 each to leave the area

news.yahoo.com/albany–ca-pays-homeless–3-000-each-to-leave-161425194.html

The Northern California city is offering to pay 28 homeless people $3,000 each to leave a former landfill area that is set to be transformed into a park, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

According to the settlement by Albany city officials, homeless people have to leave the area by Friday with any pets and possessions. They must promise to stay away from the area for at least a year, according to the Chronicle.

While 28 people who signed the settlement will receive $3,000 each, there are 25 additional homeless people who will not be paid and will also have to leave. Some of the residents had lived in the area for 15 years or more, according to the East Bay Express…

And in an interesting twist, some New York City landlords have evicted paying tenants to make room for homeless shelters.

I think its sad that the others aren’t being paid. Also, I think that rather than paying them money they should help them find a job and a home.

That is what people always say. But the truth a lot of these do NOT want to be helped in that way.

A lot of the “I wanna help poor people” crowd are too blinded by emotional excitement to 1) not do anything worthwhile about it and 2) to understand that some poor, lame and homeless just want you to give out money and if you’re not, they’re not interested in persons or what they have to say.

There may be a time on the horizon where walking around the city collecting handouts will end and it will be grown your food, provide for yourself or die.

According to the settlement by Albany city officials, homeless people have to leave the area by Friday with any pets and possessions. They must promise to stay away from the area for at least a year, according to the Chronicle.

:rotfl:

Let’s see how well that works out.

Watch a flash mob of other homeless people move there in the hope of also getting some free cash.

LOVE! :heart:

Some of the homeless are mentally ill. Before, many of these people were cared for in mental hospitals. Then, movies like “One Flew Over the Coo Coo’s Nest”, and I heard there was another, “Snake Pit” got the movement of deinstitutionalization started.

Mental hospitals have not necessarily ever been a picnic, but these movies got it so that a lot of mental health institutions got closed down. People got dumped in the street, which was worse, of course.

The policy today seems that it allows people, including the mentally ill who don’t have the capacity to make these kinds of decisions, to decide. So, if a mentally ill person decides he doesn’t want to be admitted to a mental hospital, that decision stands.

That’s one thing. Then, there is the problem of substance abuse. Some people like alcoholics and drug users often end up on the street.

There are all kinds of other scenarios, too numerous to list, here.

Then, there actually are people who can work but won’t, preferring to beg and be homeless.

It’s too complex a problem for that simple a solution, in my opinion.

I’m still thinking about joining them when they go past.

:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.