California Courts: a Pro-Life decision!

Court OKs big photos of aborted fetuses outside schools
Bob Egelko, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

(07-02) 17:36 PDT SAN FRANCISCO – A federal appeals court gave an anti-abortion group the go-ahead Wednesday to drive trucks with enlarged photos of aborted fetuses past California schools, saying the Constitution protects the display of disturbing messages.

Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies interfered with free speech by ordering the driver of one such truck to move away from a middle school, said the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco. The deputies had cited a state law barring disruptive activities near public school grounds.

“The government cannot silence messages simply because they cause discomfort, fear or even anger,” said a panel of three judges - Harry Pregerson, Marsha Berzon and William Fletcher, all considered liberals.

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/03/BAFJ11J1AS.DTL&hw=Bob+Egelko+abortion&sn=001&sc=1000

Read the ruling
The ruling in Center for Bio-Ethical Reform vs. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is available at the appeals court’s Web site:

www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf

This is a ddisgrace! This should have NEVER gone to court to begin with!

They left about two hours later after deputies and the school administrator told them they were violating the law

After the SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR told them?!?!?! Who is HE!?!?

Allen said that with traffic heavy outside the school and some students talking about throwing rocks at the truck, the school administrator had decided that the display “was creating an imminent danger of physical harm to the students.”

NO! It’s the other way around pal! It sounds like the STUDENTS were creating an “imminent danger of physical harm”!

This whole thing stinks! Some victory. Are we done playing games with these people or what?!?!

That’s not so much a pro-life decision as a pro free speech decision.

That’s right and it never should have gone to court in the first place. What a disgrace! :mad: :mad:

Thomas More Law Center took this to court as a pro-life action after Mr. School Administrator banned the parked bus. The Law Center won its pro-life case - on appeal.

Yes, it is a free-speech victory but it does establish that similar pro-life tactics should not be impeded.

Yes indeed!

I may not agree with the “pro-life” group’s message, but I am certainly glad that their right to promote it has been upheld.

Folks please. Let us rejoice in every square inch of ground we gain in this battle.

Ditto - esp regarding California. The State reeks of immorality.

Catharina, could you please tell me from which newspaper you pasted this story??

A federal appeals court gave an anti-abortion group the go-ahead Wednesday to drive trucks with enlarged photos of aborted fetuses past California schools, saying the Constitution protects the display of disturbing messages.

A lawyer for the **anti-abortion **group, the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform, called the ruling “a tremendous victory for the pro-life (they let this one pass because it is a quotation) movement.”

See how the Media tries to control the way you think??

I don’t think I’ve seen any big city newspaper, or even the two major national newspapers ever use the word “pro-life” (same for **all **the major Cable news channels).

Dwyer, googling the first quote you cited shows that the article appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle.
sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/02/BAFJ11J1AS.DTL

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.