California Decision Will Radically Change Society [Gay Marriage]

Hello All,

Here is a good article by Dennis Prager on the latest decision in California on Gay Marriage:
dennisprager.townhall.com/columnists/DennisPrager/2008/05/20/california_decision_will_radically_change_society

That is one reason the argument that this decision is the same as courts undoing legal bans on marriages between races is false. No major religion – not Judaism, not Christianity, not Islam, not Buddhism – ever banned interracial marriage. Some religions have banned marriages with members of other religions. But since these religions allowed anyone of any race to convert, i.e., become a member of that religion, the race or ethnicity of individuals never mattered with regard to marriage. American bans on interracial marriages were not supported by any major religious or moral system; those bans were immoral aberrations, no matter how many religious individuals may have supported them. Justices who overthrew bans on interracial marriages, therefore, had virtually every moral and religious value system since ancient times on their side. But justices who overthrow the ban on same-sex marriage have nothing other their hubris and their notions of compassion on their side.

Since the secular age began, the notion that one should look to religion – or to any past wisdom – for one’s values has died. Thus, the modern attempts to undo the Judeo-Christian value system as the basis of America’s values, and to disparage the Founders as essentially morally flawed individuals (They allowed slavery, didn’t they?). The modern secular liberal knows that he is not only morally superior to conservatives; he is morally superior to virtually everyone who ever lived before him.

Traditional Jews and Christians – i.e. those who believe in a divine scripture – will be marginalized. Already Catholic groups in Massachusetts have abandoned adoption work since they will only allow a child to be adopted by a married couple as the Bible defines it – a man and a woman.

Anyone who advocates marriage between a man and a woman will be morally regarded the same as racist. And soon it will be a hate crime.

It is an important article, and I recommend people on both sides of this issue read it.

Hate is the answer when advocates of ‘gay marriage’ do not get their way. However, it has now been established that polygmy and polyamory (multiple partners) is the goal. The goal of the ‘sexual revolution’ of the late 1960s was sex with anyone. Now, 1 in 4 American girls have an STD.

The Church has called everyone to be chaste. I completely disagree with the statement about advocating marriage between a man and a woman becoming a hate crime. I think it’s alarmist and unwarrented.

God bless,
Ed

Isn’t this already happening to ministers in Canada?

Hi Robert,

Do you have an article or link?

God bless,
Ed

Well, in fairness, it was a question, not a statement. However, I googled just for you :wink: :
wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54260

Such cases already have developed in other nations, where the “progressive” effort to “advance” anti-discrimination laws are further down the road, he noted.

Peter LaBarbera, of Americans for Truth, noted that in Canada and France both, legislators have been fined for publicly criticizing homosexuality. Three years ago,** a Swedish hate crimes law was used to put Pastor Ake Green, who preached that homosexuality is a sin, in jail for a month. **

“And recently, a British couple told how they were denied the chance to adopt because it was determined that their Christian faith might ‘prejudice’ them against a homosexual child put in their care,” LaBarbera added.
Already in the United States, Catholic Charities of Boston halted all [FONT=‘Times New Roman’, Georgia, Serif]adoption[/FONT] operations in the state after being told **under Massachusetts’ pro-‘gay’ nondiscrimination law, only agencies that placed children in homosexual-led households would get licensed by the state. **

Faithful Priest Accused of Hate Crime for Letter on Homosexuality

I don’t think Dennis Prager’s comments are out-of-line at all.

Thank you. No, that’s not what I meant. It still takes a man and a woman to create a baby. I was aware of the problems relating to standing up against sin (not homosexuals). But legalizing sin is job one in the USA.

My first inclination when meeting anyone who was gay was not to hate them.

All of this was predicted in the Bible, but Jesus told His followers to not be disturbed. I don’t think anyone can prove that anyone had wisdom or knowledge or enlightenment pour into their head just because we live in “modern” times. That’s nonsense.

And this nonsense will have an ending as well, but once again, we are told that we do not battle against flesh and blood but against powers and principalities and evil in high places.

God bless,
Ed

A couple of other articles on this topic:

Life Site:

lifesitenews.com/ldn/2003/feb/030207a.html

Concerned Women of America -

cwfa.org/articledisplay.asp?id=9672&department=CFI&categoryid= papers

ummm…not really anymore…

Women win right to children without fathers

timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3972376.ece

Don’t be so sure about this. Developments in microbiology with regard to the human genome project, cloning, artificial insemination, surrogate mothers, etc., are leading to the situation described by Aldous Huxley in Brave New World. I have little doubt that will be seeing artificial wombs in a future where there will be designer babies and chimeras.

I am aware of this. It is not what is at issue here. Legalizing sin is.

god bless,
Ed

Artificial wombs are still science fiction. A man will still provide the sperm and a woman the egg. I am following developments in biotechnology and regardless of the bluster, all that is going on is trial and error. What is most chilling is not the remotely possible chimera, it’s the scientists who are actually doing this. For them to think they are doing anything good is chilling. To treat human life like a mechanical device that can be modified at will.

Peace,
Ed

Why do you feel it is an important article?

I can’t speak for Robert (aka rlg94086) but I think the important thing is:

Anyone who advocates marriage between a man and a woman will be morally regarded the same as racist. And soon it will be a hate crime.

I strongly disagree with that statement. A man and woman will always be required to have a baby. Science fiction statements about the future do not apply.

God bless,
Ed

I truly hope the upcoming elections for our nation will not be polarized on the gay issue. I do believe, at least in my area, that people are tired of being manipulated by the religious right on an issue that only effect 1% of the 3-5% of people who are gay.

Very few gay people WANT to get married, but those that do want equality under the law…the religious right is the grand manipulator of politics…we have much more serious and important issues at hand…price of gas, price of food, war in Iraq, possible war in Iran, unemployment, poverty, overcrowded prisons, quality of education, cost of education, rising inflation where millions of Americans are losing their homes due to the “exotic loans” the mortgage companies and banks provided to uninformed future home owners…but the rants of the religious right about “sin”, real or percieved, WILL get the real lasting dangers off the minds of the sheep and lull them into “voting for marriage” when “marriage” is in no more danger now than it was before California signed on to equal protection under the law…it would be nice to see good religious people concerned about the real issues instead of the “fake issue” of “gay marriage”.

Did you read the article by Prager? The OP posted an article which contains a very well thought out argument that goes beyond the “Sin” issue and into the long term ramifications to our culture. Please respond to the article not just the title of the post.

PS Thanks to the judges The Dems will probably lose the electi9on in Nov.

Pub, my man. You know I love you but I am really surprised that you think that “gay marriage” is not an important issue facing the US today. If the US adopts laws that make speaking out against anything a crime; THAT is the number one issue facing Americans. Just because the “anything” in this case is so-called Gay Marriage isn’t the point. The point is the squelching of the first and most basic right we have as Americans – freedom of thought and expression of that thought.

If people’s thoughts are quashed, then there will be no answers to the other issues you mentioned. Freedom of expression is a paramount issue.

My ideas are pretty radical on the so-called Gay marriage issue and I am sure would draw the ire of most other CAF’ers, so I’ll keep them to myself for now, besides it would be off-topic to lay them out.

Right now I don’t think the issue is “Gay Marriage” it’s the freedom to express your thoughts.

Still love you, but you cannot have my Bud Lite. :stuck_out_tongue:

My friend, you said a mouth full…and that does ring true…especially here at CAF.:slight_smile:

Me too. We should leave marriage the way it was and drop the whole issue.

Daddums :slight_smile:

Has it occurred to you that there are people out there who have no connection to anything called the “religious right”? I do not belong to any group or organization connected to any so-called “religious right.” The threat from ‘gay marriage’ is clear: polygamists will go to court next so they can have a personal harem. Followed by those who love the word “consent,” including the Man-Boy Love Association.

Don’t play on the feelings of religious people; we aren’t stupid. This is not about marriage but about sex. A document signed by Gloria Steinem, among other prominent individuals, states that sex with anyone is the desired goal and so families of 44 will get imheritance and property rights and other benefits while everybody has sex with everybody. This is disordered and against God and the proper social order as it has existed for thousands of years.

God bless,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.