California Democrats propose adding third, nonbinary gender option for driver's licenses and other official documents

California driver’s licenses and birth certificates could have a third option for gender in addition to male or female under legislation unveiled Thursday by Democratic lawmakers.

The bill by state Sens. Toni Atkins (D-San Diego) and Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco) would establish a new nonbinary gender marker for official state documents.

Lawmakers framed the measure as an expansion of rights for transgender, intersex and other people who do not identify as male or female.

latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-california-democrats-propose-adding-1485465341-htmlstory.html

Oh, my! :frowning:

As Abraham Lincoln put it, how many legs does a dog have if you call its tail a leg? Four. Calling its tail a leg does not make it a leg.

Except for applying this to minors I don’t really care what gender one calls themself.

Does this mean such documents will have to include both sex and gender? Regardless of gender, one’s sex has important implications.

When did California get so radically liberal?

My question is why does California always beat New York when it comes to these initiatives?

For quite a while, especially Southern California.

California needs to get real.

New York is still in touch with reality. Sort of.

What’s so great about reality? Just look at the real world.

The purpose of any ID card is so others can identify you, not how you identify yourself. Most of us know who we are without help from the state.

True. Perhaps splitting the difference would be to include both sex and gender on IDs?

I don’t care what you all think, I call dibs on identifying as a Squirrel!

Where have you been the last 30 years? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Actually, we’ve been warning that ever since so-called gay “marriage” took off, that stuff like this would happen.

Only miscalculation was that transgender nonsense, “marrying” oneself and video game characters came before “marrying” one’s goldfish.

And people want these people (Californians) to enforce this silliness with the popular vote!

Exactly. What is the purpose of a state-issued id if it leaves identification ambiguous?

it’s okay. People need to deal with it.

That’s what we like about Trump, cutting the Bull**it factor!!!

I self-identify as Batman.

And that will mean what when they present it in Idaho?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.