California governor OKs sex crime bill tied to Stanford case

California governor OKs sex crime bill tied to Stanford case apne.ws/2ddAvsG

Mandatory sentencing

Not a supporter of mandatory sentencing, but with decisions like the judge’s in the Stanford rape case it is harder to argue against them. Some judges truly abuse their discretion.

This law sums up why I agree with the sex crime bill:

“Letting felons convicted of such crimes get off with probation discourages other survivors from coming forward and sends the message that raping incapacitated victims is no big deal,” Democratic Assemblyman Bill Dodd of Napa said in a statement after lawmakers approved his bill in August. (Quoted from article in original post)

Exactly. I wonder are the light sentences are a symptom of the judges perhaps not being 100% sure that the guy really was to blame. Maybe because they think the girl holds some blame or because they can’t really tell at what point it stopped being consensual?? I don’t know, all I know is that it is a very very serious crime and if you are convicted of it in a court of law then you are guilty. Sure allow for mitigating circumstances. So if you rape someone while drunk, serve a sentence that has the same amount of time knocked off as you would get knocked off for murdering someone while drunk. You’d still serve a lot of time and rightly so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.