‘California is a nation, not a state’: A fringe movement wants a break from the U.S

SAN FRANCISCO — About 15 people huddled in a luxury apartment building, munching on danishes as they plotted out their plan to have California secede from the United States.

“I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of an independent California,” Geoff Lewis said as he stood in a glass-walled conference room adorned with California’s grizzly-bear flag and a sign reading “California is a nation, not a state.”

washingtonpost.com/politics/california-is-a-nation-not-a-state-a-fringe-movement-wants-a-break-from-the-us/2017/02/18/ed85671c-f567-11e6-8d72-263470bf0401_story.html?utm_term=.c9d61388956c

They’re for succession…until they need money for the upcoming flood, or for an earthquake, or for whatever.

I say let them go.

They can go, but I’ll stay with California, in the U.S.

There’s room for those goofballs in Guantanamo.

ICXC NIKA

From the Obama administration after his 2012 reelection.

In January 2013, the “secession petitions filed by residents of Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and five other states, as well as one counterpetition seeking the deportation of everyone who signed a secession petition,” received an official response from White House Office of Public Engagement director Jon Carson.[6] Carson rejected the succession notion, writing that open debate was positive for democracy but that the Founders had established a “perpetual union” and that the Supreme Court ruled in Texas v. White (1869) that individual states had no right to secede.[6][13]

Secession is the only way that leftist crybabies can keep their promise to leave the US, apparently hoping that foreign aid would then exceed current federal funding.

Not everyone here is a crybaby lol . My husband and I work hard for our money. We pay our taxes and ask for nothing to be handed to us. We do not want to be removed from the U.S.A. My son fought for this country not just for California! Four deployments! We love our Country!!

Thanks for posting this.

I would hope any state with a secession plan has funding for a standing army, air force, and navy.

Or would certainly not ask for our help when a foreign nation showed up on its shores. The small part of me would chuckle as seeing Russian troops in CA, if it were not so serious.

If you want to leave, you can fend for yourself. And in California’s case, where would it get its currency? What would back it? The US could impose tariffs on what would amount to a non-influential country at that point to make the cost of doing business with the other 49 states prohibitive for CA.

They’d also have to return all land-locked federal land in the State, have massive layoffs (I’d assume we’d close LA Air Force Base, Edwards, and a host of others, or at least they’d become simply Air Bases), and the feds could incentivize major employers like Boeing to close down their ops and relocate to the actual US.

Most secession plans from States are just hissy fits from whiny, naive children.

Thank you to your son for his service!

Thank you so much for that :heart_decoration:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.