California Science Center to Pay Attorneys' Fees and Settle Open Records Lawsuit by Intelligent Design Group

California Science Center to Pay Attorneys' Fees and Settle Open Records Lawsuit by Intelligent Design Group

The California Science Center (CSC) has agreed to settle a lawsuit with the pro-intelligent design Discovery Institute and release records that it previously sought to conceal regarding its cancellation of the screening of a pro-intelligent design film last year.
"After months of stonewalling by the Science Center, this is a huge victory for the public’s right to know what their government is doing, especially when the government engages in illegal censorship and viewpoint discrimination," said Dr. John West, Associate Director of Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture.
The Science Center continues to "deny any and all liability relating to the claims," according to the settlement agreement. However, it agreed to pay Discovery Institute’s legal fees and to surrender more than a thousand pages of documents it had been withholding since they were requested under the California Public Records Act last year.

more...

[quote="buffalo, post:1, topic:201950"]

"After months of stonewalling by the Science Center, this is a huge victory for the public’s right to know what their government is doing, especially when the government engages in illegal censorship and viewpoint discrimination," more...

[/quote]

If the California Science Centre believes ID is science, then they are accused of suppressing scientific inquiry, regardless of where that inquiry may lead. If they believe ID is religious, then they stand accused of discriminating against a religion at government expense.

Erm?

How on earth had they got themselves in the situation in the first place? I mean why had somebody agreed to show such a film at all?

[quote="Kaninchen, post:3, topic:201950"]

How on earth had they got themselves in the situation in the first place? I mean why had somebody agreed to show such a film at all?

[/quote]

The California Science Center had signed a contract to rent its IMAX theater to an organization called American Freedom Alliance.

articles.latimes.com/2009/dec/29/entertainment/la-et-science-center29-2009dec29

This patriotically-named organization describes its mission as: "networking, activism and education in the following six areas:

• The Islamic penetration of Europe

• Academic freedom

• Media Bias

• Missile Defense

I know, I know... its only four topics, even though they claimed six, but that is all their "About Us" page lists. Still, its an odd grab bag of issues, linked only by certain strains of US political conservatism.

Apparently, the AFA sees intelligent design as important to sticking up for academic freedom.

[quote="Dale_M, post:4, topic:201950"]
The California Science Center had signed a contract to rent its IMAX theater to an organization called American Freedom Alliance.

articles.latimes.com/2009/dec/29/entertainment/la-et-science-center29-2009dec29

This patriotically-named organization describes its mission as: "networking, activism and education in the following six areas:

• The Islamic penetration of Europe

• Academic freedom

• Media Bias

• Missile Defense

I know, I know... its only four topics, even though they claimed six, but that is all their "About Us" page lists. Still, its an odd grab bag of issues, linked only by certain strains of US political conservatism.

Apparently, the AFA sees intelligent design as important to sticking up for academic freedom.

[/quote]

Oh dear - perhaps it's a European thing but words like 'freedom' and 'family' in the titles of organizations always seem to scream 'Possibly Eccentric Agenda' - which is a shame because all sorts of sensible organizations use such words, but there you are.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.