California to Ban Police From Towing Cars of Unlicensed Drivers

From the AP (via FNC):

Delfino Aldama was fixing a customer’s brakes this month when his smartphone chimed with a text message that tipped him to a police checkpoint more than an hour before officers began stopping motorists. The self-employed auto mechanic frantically called friends with the location and drove an alternate route home.

The Mexico native had reason to be alarmed: He does not have a driver’s license because he is in the United States illegally, and it would cost about $1,400 to get his Nissan Frontier pickup back from the towing company. He has breathed a little easier since he began getting blast text messages two years ago from activists who scour streets to find checkpoints as they are being set up.

The cat-and-mouse game ends Jan. 1 when a new law takes effect in California to prohibit police from impounding cars at sobriety checkpoints if a motorist’s only offense is being an unlicensed driver. Thousands of cars are towed each year in the state under those circumstances, hitting pocketbooks of illegal immigrants especially hard.

The simple solution is to just grant a US drivers license to anybody who applies for one. :D;)

The best solution is to grant US citizenship to anybody who applies.

Why limit the lunacy? Instead of having to employ lookouts for law enforcement when committing a crime, why don’t we take the burden off burglars and lower the crime rate at the same time by legalizing robbery?

I don’t see why we can’t stretch this idea to murder. California has a high murder rate. We could solve the problem overnight by eliminating these troublesome prohibitions and just wholesale adopt the peaceful existence of Ciudad Juárez. We will get used to the blood, and you open border types can assuage your angst and guilt at living in a country that attempts to maintain a culture of civilization through reasonable laws.

Name me any other country in the world that does this? Right, there aren’t any.

Driving without a license does not carry nearly the same moral weight as murder or robbery. Moral and civil law are not the same thing.

Thank you! I’m just trying to get to work… :o

I don’t have a license right now, and I am a citizen. Citizenship doesn’t have much to do with it. It’s these tickets, and all the fee’s and everything…you get behind and they pile up and when your poor already, the hole just gets deeper and deeper. It’s not like an $80 ticket - stays an $80 ticket :frowning:

This takes a HUGE load off my shoulders. If my car were to be impounded, that’s a hundred bucks for the tow, and another hundred just for the first day. You usually can’t get it out of the impound for 30 days, counting another hundred bucks for each of those days…Something like that would put me out of the game.

I’m just trying to get to work, to get by…

People that drive without a license are a threat to every other driver on the road. They are responsible (or irresponsible) for the insurance rate of every other driver on the road being higher. It would not hit the poor harder if the poor would drive only when they are properly licensed and insured.

If it were that easy to get a license and insurance, I strongly suspect that this is not a problem that we would be discussing in the first place.

I can only speak of my state, as this varies, state to state, but anyone can get insurance and proof of it the same day. This is absolutely required, as it must be, to get a license. Without it, you put every driver you meet at risk of losing their car’s value in an accident you cause.

We have pretty much everyone who is unlicensed falling into two categories.

1. Those who have engaged in such risky driving that they must be removed from the road.

B. Those who do not shoulder their share of financial responsibility to operate on the public roadway.

Like I said, solution is simple, sell Comiefornia back to Mexico and build a fence made of MG nests every 300 yards around it. Problem Solved! :smiley:

I guess you’ve never had a loved one killed by an unlicensed driver, or lost a car to an unlicensed driver. I’ve had both - please rethink your idea of “moral weight”.

You really don’t know do you?

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

LOVE IT!!!

This makes me mad. How many unlicensed drivers are driving without insurance. My husband was hit by an uninsured driver, and had to get the drivers side door replaced (our insurance covered it). But this makes everybody’s insurance go up, because the insurance company cannot get compensation from the driver who caused the accident and thus should have to pay in increased premiums.

When we lived in NY, driving without a license/insurance was very common, because you have get your car inspected in order to renew your license. Our insurance was almost twice what it is in the midwest.

People who get their licenses taken away because of DWIs are a danger on the road, and if are caught driving without a license need to have their cars impounded. So they can’t get back out there and continue to drive either drunk or without a license.

Luckily I am not a Californian (though NY was almost as bad and MN is trying to be like those states).

:clapping:
Right on. That’s because it’s a stupid idea.

Can the company not claim the funds back from the estate of the uninsured driver if he is at fault? Unless the driver is untraceable, bankrupt or completely destitute they should be able to claim back the funds.

I am pretty sure, they cannot just claim the assets without first suing the driver.
Usually people who are uninsured (at least where we are currently living) are so, because they can’t afford the insurance. Thus it is not financially feasible for insurance companies to sue and then pursue what meager assets that person has. That is court costs, attorney fees, etc. Then they have to win, then they have to get a judgement, then they have to get an order saying they can take the assets, then they have get the sheriff to help them seize the assets, then they have to get value from those assets if they are not cash or monies. It would be unlikely that they would even get the cost of repairs (if they were extensive) much less their court costs and just their expenses for filing suit.

I waste so much money on “uninsured motorist insurance,” higher medical service bills, and other risk-factor fees associated with these trespassing criminals that would be better spent helping my autistic son. Thanks a lot, sentimentalists and scoff-laws.

Yeah, good luck finding, let alone suing an illegal alien crook for damages they’ve caused.

• Marty Lund

Yes, we also need to simplify the immigration laws. If you are not a convicted felon then you can get a green card. The way to halt most immigration is to end all Food Stamps, HUD housing payments and Medicaid. If we have a sink or swim economy many people won’t come with their families.

You left off the smileys… :mad::wink:

Is your issue with immigration or with illegal immigration? I wanted to be absolutely sure before responding.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.