Call No Man Teacher? [Akin]

jimmyakin.com/wp-content/uploads/bibleteacher-248x300.pngA reader writes:

Have you responded to 1 John 2:26-27, and Matthew 23 concerning teachers?

The passages in question read:

I write this to you about those who would deceive you; but the anointing which you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that any one should teach you; as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie, just as it has taught you, abide in him [1 John 2:26-27].

But you are not to be called rabbi [Aramaic, “teacher”], for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren [Matt. 23:8].

From these passages, it could look like it isn’t God’s plan to have teachers in his Church. But consider these passages:

And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in various kinds of tongues [1 Cor. 12:28].

And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers [Eph. 4:11].

To find a proper solution to this question, all of the relevant biblical material needs to be borne in mind.

Since there are unmistakable passages referring to teachers in God’s Church as being part of God’s will (e.g., 1 Cor. 12:28, Eph. 4:11), since Christ himself appointed the apostles as teachers, and since the author of 1 John was–even as he was writing–teaching (!), we must recognize passages like 1 John 2 and Matt. 23 as involving an element of hyperbole.

While it is God’s will to have teachers in his Church, their role is relativized. They are not authorities in and of themselves but rather servants of God. This relativization of their role is likely part of what is being expressed by the hyperbole found in the passages you mention.

I hope this helps!

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/jimmyakin/HPRf?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://forums.catholic.com//feeds.feedburner.com/~r/jimmyakin/HPRf/~4/fxFK_1KcuDg

More…

:confused:

i didn’t need any help until now.:stuck_out_tongue:

I think the idea being presented is showing that we are to learn from God and not from men. That doesn’t mean that we don’t learn from God through men. He appoints people to teach in the Church. Now do we take any teaching face value without making sure it is pleasing and acceptable to Truth? No. That’s where the Spirit of God can help us discern that which is true from that which is lacking or false.

or we can rely on the church that Jesus gave all authority to, instead of ‘the little man in our head’.

How do you discern from ‘‘the little man in your head’’ and the Holy Spirit who requests of us to listen to Him? If you do not know you should appeal God for wisdom.

''7Wherefore, as the Holy Ghost saith: To day if you shall hear his voice,

8Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation; in the day of temptation in the desert,

9Where your fathers tempted me, proved and saw my works,

10Forty years: for which cause I was offended with this generation, and I said: They always err in heart. And they have not known my ways,

11As I have sworn in my wrath: If they shall enter into my rest.

12Take heed, brethren, lest perhaps there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, to depart from the living God.
‘’
Heb 3:7-12

yes, he was talking about Jesus being the messiah. if you don’t believe it, you’re pretty much out of luck.

So the HS within us has no voice? This is solely referring to Jesus as Messiah? I would disagree. Read all of 3. It’s informing us of the necessity of faith in order to hear and believe the voice of God in our lives. Just as the Jews hardened their hearts through unbelief, after seeing the work of God in their life, they hardened in that unbelief refusing to accept what was true. In our own life we can very much do the same.

satan also has a voice within you, how do you know whom you are hearing?

You should check out 1 John 4:2

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.