Call no man teacher

I’m sure most Catholics have heard “Call no man father” quoted to them. However, how do those who object to calling people “father” do the same for “teacher”?

I have never heard any of my Protestant/fundamentalist/evangelical friends call any of my teachers “instructors” or “guys who run the classrooms.”

[quote=Archbishop 10-K]I’m sure most Catholics have heard “Call no man father” quoted to them. However, how do those who object to calling people “father” do the same for “teacher”?

I have never heard any of my Protestant/fundamentalist/evangelical friends call any of my teachers “instructors” or “guys who run the classrooms.”
[/quote]

The same would apply to calling someone “doctor.”

The constant bickering over the “call no man father” passage is just an example of what happens when someone reads a passage of scripture in a vaccuum without considering context or how it relates to other truths of scripture.

To interpret that passage as some anti-Catholics do, creates many contradictions within scripture. If they don’t see that, they certainly aren’t going to see a problem with calling someone a “teacher.” Sadly, for some people, any stick is good enough to beat the Catholic Church with.

In a vaccum is right!

I also wonder sometimes how Southern Baptists/Evangelicals/Fundies, etc… justify it when they call someone a “Good man” or a “Good Preacher”…after all, Jesus said no one is GOOD but God. :wink: Kinda makes the “Father” theory these folk use fall flat as well huh? :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.