Call To Action

I saw a flyer taped to where you pick up our weekly parish bulliten. It was inviting folks from our parish to a neighboring parish for an evening presentation from Call To Action. I had one person tell me that these folks are actually pretty interesting to listen to. Another person said the word “heretic” in reference to them. So are they the good guys or the bad guys?

BAD. They fight for the right to abortion. They also want women priests. They want Roman Catholic married preists. Gay rights. Some of the links listed on their website include
Rent a priest, a site that offeres Techno Cosmic Masses, and New Age retreats.

They are heretics.

http://www.cta-usa.org/images/SOAliturgy.jpg

Picture from the call to action website (a woman “celebrant” above)
cta-usa.org/iraq.html

I would be leery of anyone who posts a notice like that. Usually posting something near the bulletins has to be sanctioned by the pastor, so I would find out if he knows or sanctioned it to begin with. Here are some of their stances:
We call upon Church officials to incorporate women at all levels of ministry and decision making.
We call upon the church to discard the medieval discipline of mandatory priestly celibacy, and to open the priesthood to women and married men, including resigned priests, so that the Eucharist may continue to be the center of the spiritual life of all Catholics.
We call for extensive consultation with the Catholic people in developing church teaching on human sexuality, just as the U.S. bishops invited participation in developing their teaching on social justice for the pastoral letters on peace and economic justice.

and many many more…I would stay away!

[quote=rayne89]Picture from the call to action website (a woman “celebrant” above)
cta-usa.org/iraq.html
[/quote]

Uuugh, that’s disgusting! What type of mockery of our Mass are they making?

I know my post doesn’t add anything to this topic but… does this lady actually think she has the authority to preside over the Mass? What else would she be doing with wine and bread?

Hi Lizbert!

I think I’d be a bit wary of these people. See this article: Inside Call to Action from Crisis Magazine.

You might also peruse some of their speakers and their comments HERE and I note with some dismay that they seem to be big fans of Matthew Fox, who is about as far out there as Pluto.

I haven’t heard much of anything good about them.
Here’s an article by Mitch Pacwa about them from This Rock that is pretty good and might be your best first stop.

So far as I can tell, I wouldn’t be interested in them at alll…but that’s just me…
Pax tecum,

Call your bishop and see if he will have them prohibited from using any Catholic parish for their presentations. They have absolutely no business giving any presentation to Catholics, and especially not on Church property.

Scott

check these out dotm.org/cta-sa.htm

ewtn.com/library/ISSUES/CTOA20.TXT

Thanks everyone! I visited some of the websites you folks gave me. Just a tad frightening to say the least. I just can’t envision myself going to Confession, I mean Reconcilliation, to a woman priest or would she be a priestess. At any rate, YIKES!

[quote=Lizbert]Thanks everyone! I visited some of the websites you folks gave me. Just a tad frightening to say the least. I just can’t envision myself going to Confession, I mean Reconcilliation, to a woman priest or would she be a priestess. At any rate, YIKES!
[/quote]

Seriously, call/e-mail/write your bishop as he may not be aware that CTA is using church property.

Scott

I agree with Scott…Call your priest and your Bishop tomorrow!!!

Isn’t there a brave bishop out there somewhere who excommunicated CTA members in his diocese?
Does anyone else remember this?

[quote=Lizbert]I saw a flyer taped to where you pick up our weekly parish bulliten. It was inviting folks from our parish to a neighboring parish for an evening presentation from Call To Action. I had one person tell me that these folks are actually pretty interesting to listen to. Another person said the word “heretic” in reference to them. So are they the good guys or the bad guys?
[/quote]

Let me guess – you’re in the Midwest?

[quote=Scott Waddell]Call your bishop and see if he will have them prohibited from using any Catholic parish for their presentations. They have absolutely no business giving any presentation to Catholics, and especially not on Church property.

Scott
[/quote]

:amen:

[quote=Fidelis]Let me guess – you’re in the Midwest?
[/quote]

Actually, I am in Alaska, which is another planet entirely.

[quote=Lorarose]Isn’t there a brave bishop out there somewhere who excommunicated CTA members in his diocese?
[/quote]

Bishop Bruskewitz, perhaps? I’m not sure if he formally excommunicated them or just threatened it.

[quote=Lorarose]Isn’t there a brave bishop out there somewhere who excommunicated CTA members in his diocese?
[/quote]

I was just thinking about that… it seems that woman in that picture deserves to be excommunicated.

That picture just makes me sick. :mad:

Here are some insightful “upcoming events” (now past) from their website:

Oct 21 - Deacon Regina Nicolosi at CTA Minn. - Ordained on St. Lawrence Seaway July 25. Minneapolis. wmcgu60497@aol.com

Oct 22 - Fireside Chat with Deacon Jane Via, recently ordained. CTA San Diego County. 760-434-3710 or 858-277-0259.

Oct 23 - **Saints and Sinners. **Film about gay couple seeking to marry. CTA Michigan. Royal Oak, Mich. bethrin@prodigy.net

Oct 25 Women in Church Leadership - Panel with Protestant women clergy and Catholic women liturgists. CTA Alaska, Fairbanks. 907-455-7629 or marjoriekc@yahoo.com

eek.

God Bless,
RyanL

I’m from Lincoln, and Call to Action was one of the groups that Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz excommunicated people for being a part of.

[quote=rayne89]BAD. They fight for the right to abortion. They also want women priests. They want Roman Catholic married preists. Gay rights. Some of the links listed on their website include
Rent a priest, a site that offeres Techno Cosmic Masses, and New Age retreats.

They are heretics.
[/quote]

My parish pastor is a member of this group. He doesn’t say it publicly, but he told me that he belonged to it along with some other parishoners in our Church.

Interestingly, he remains in close association with the former pastor who was removed for being accused of engaging in sexual relations with an anonymous adult male.

I never really knew what this group represented. I believe that many of the lay ministers that are receiving pastoral degrees from Catholic educational institutions and seminaries these days are quite sympathetic toward groups like Catholics for a Free Choice, Call to Action and VOTF.

Pastor reads NCR and America regularly, and I doubt would be a big fan of Catholic Answers. In fact, during all Masses on the final Sunday before the 2004 election, he warned parishoners that it is inconsistent with the Catholic faith to vote for someone that holds a pro-death penalty position. He didn’t mention that it is also inconsistent with the Catholic faith to vote for someone who holds a pro-abortion position. Local Democratic leaders have been formally invited to functions at our parish. Never has one Local Republican leader, not that there are many, been invited. All invitations need to be run by the pastor first.

It does no good to go to the diocesan officials to complain as he was once one of them, and remains in close friendship with this network of aging “60’s” priests.

I have decided to stay and fight somewhat like Rosa Parks did. I have the ear of some other parishoners who feel as I do. We have begun to silently weave our way into indispensable roles in the parish. It’s a shame that we have to play politics, but I guess that’s the only way we can take back our parish from such creeping progressive heterodoxy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.