Call to be a missionary

I feel that I could possibly be experiencing a call to become a missionary.
I'm currently only 14.. I'm not really sure whether or not that makes a difference, but I felt that it was worth stating.
Anyways, since I "rebecame" a Christian (after a brief struggle with atheism), I have been experiencing a mild, but constant urge to spread the faith.
I have always been interested in military, and police work for my future, and since this seems fairly unrelated to those field, I began to wonder if this was God calling on me.
I plan to spend the rest of my life as a Christian, and, if need be, I would give my life for my faith.

So, I need some insight, could this actually be a call to become a missionary, or just the youth in me speculating about the future?

Thanks, and God bless! :)

It could well be a call from God, or it might not be. If you feel the same call in five years or so, it might be something to pursue. On the other hand it might be a bit of youthful enthusiasm and you will find yourself drawn in another direction as you grow older.

I personally began feeling attracted to the Franciscans when I was 16, but the attraction to them specifically in terms of an order I would actually join lasted less than three years. Though my early interest in St. Francis has had a lasting impact on me, I believe my spirituality is ultimately a bit different.

[quote="Tyler1234, post:1, topic:252755"]
I feel that I could possibly be experiencing a call to become a missionary.
I'm currently only 14.. I'm not really sure whether or not that makes a difference, but I felt that it was worth stating.
Anyways, since I "rebecame" a Christian (after a brief struggle with atheism), I have been experiencing a mild, but constant urge to spread the faith.
I have always been interested in military, and police work for my future, and since this seems fairly unrelated to those field, I began to wonder if this was God calling on me.
I plan to spend the rest of my life as a Christian, and, if need be, I would give my life for my faith.

So, I need some insight, could this actually be a call to become a missionary, or just the youth in me speculating about the future?

Thanks, and God bless! :)

[/quote]

You may have the beginning stirrings that will some day take you to another country to live your faith as a witness - that may be as a member of a religious community or as a lay person - there are several organizations that support lay Catholics who serve in the missions - Maryknoll, Jesuit Volunteers International, Comboni Missionaries have a lay program - and the oldest program in the United States for Lay Catholic is Lay Mission-Helpers - www.LayMissionHelpers.org - you need to have a professional skills that you share, teacher, nurse, accountant, etc... so you would serve in that capacity and then live with the local community - very impressive. Keep praying!!

If missions is inside your heart, I suggest that you pray and seek spiritual guidance on it. I know some Christian organizations have mission's trips to various places of the world. An interdenominational organization is called "Youth with a Mission" the website is ywam.org which offers trips to places across the world. It will cost some money so you will have to fundraise your money. You can ask some of the orders and/or connect with a youth group as well. Maybe there will be some who have the same heart and you can always organize something. It doesn't have to far or overseas to be considered missions. You can also consider helping out locally inside your community by volunteering for a charity, a soup kitchen and more. Pray about it with an open heart and you never know where God will lead or what doors will open to you even at such as young age,

Good Luck

One needs to learn one's faith first. Are receiving any CCD or Catholic training? Youth internqational ministries as missionarries simply don't work, especially the interdenominational. Again, first things first: Learn your Faith, Hopefully attend a Catholic High School, then College. Catholic Schools are recognized as Best in the world, in Education also. [LIST] It's very tough to wait, but you'll find the grades go by faster and faster. In the Meantime, Attend Mass, etc; Do try volunteering in the Many Catholic or community Programs, many of which like Young Adult volunteers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.