Call upon Archangels when playing Ouija board?

I’m not playing the board, but from a conversation with someone who does, they say prior to playing, people should make a protection circle, upon which the archangels are called, and then it’ll be safe to play. My question:

1. Can the archangels be called upon so easily for such purpose?
  2. If they aren’t the archangels, then who are they that is called upon?
  3. After making the circle, how can people be sure that the spirits are good because I heard no good spirits are being allowed to be called upon in this manner, or float on earth?

Do you really believe in Ouija boards? Seriously?

I do.
I believe that it is a dark magic gateway.

This article might be helpful.

Ouija Boards are dangerous things. It’s one way to invite demons. I doubt that any prayer to any archangel would be answered through a Ouija board and would offer no protection. Nothing good comes from a Ouija board and your friends should stop and destroy it.

You are correct. It is playing with fire.

Those people are wrong to think that they can play with fire and it will be okay because they call on archangels.
They are definitely kidding themselves. No one should attempt anything like that and think that all is well if they invite good angels to protect them. That is like going to a party that is a serious occasion of sin and asking your guardian angel to protect you. That doesn’t make any sense and is the height of presumption.

There is no way to be sure of who/what you’re dealing with when using a ouija board. Best to stay away.

Ouija boards are a bunch of balonga.

They do not work, they are not portals, they are not evil. They are pieces of cardboard.

And a sword is just sharp metal, until it’s used for another purpose.

From everything I have ever read about ouija boards-both pro and con- whether or not one believes in them, their use is forbidden to practicing Roman Catholics. Their use is a particularly dangerous occassion of Sin; and, even watching someone using a ouija board must be reported when confessing.

They may be pieces of cardboard, but they have the capacity allow demons to mislead people who are looking for answers with this. Ouija boards are not to be toyed with. Those who have played with this board and have gotten badly hurt by it and needed much help to get out of the problem have testimonies to give. It was no fun to get rid of the nuisance of evil spirits after they have been given entrance caused by the disobedience of the users.

Our Church is looking out for us when she gives warnings about such things.

Absolutely stay away from ouijia boards.

Demonic possession is real. And I know of a priest who has performed numerous exorcisms who’s said that in almost every case of demonic possession he’s witnessed, the possessed person more or less ‘invited’ the demons in (through ouijia boards and the like).

Are there any documented cases of poltergeist activity or demonic possessions resulting from the ouija board? Because ive never heard of any. Infact when I researched it, all I got was “nothing happened”.

Here’s a recent story.

Here’s another one about a mom who stabbed her 6-year old daughter with scissors.

Quote from story: “She said she’s been feeling this ***evil spirit ***on her for four days,” said Kalita Lucas, Slaughter’s sister. “It doesn’t make any sense. This was not like my sister. She would never harm her baby.”

Well, that is pretty creepy. Although as a child, my friends and I played with the board multiple times. Not knowing it was ‘dangerous’ or ‘evil’. Nothing ever happened to us. And if anything were to happen, you’d think it would. I mean, with a bunch of vulnerable kids and all.

Sure - my siblings and I played with one when we were kids too, and nothing happened to us. I don’t think anyone is saying that playing with a Ouija board will result in spontaneous combustion. The point is that the Ouija board is just one tool that can be used to open the door to a dark world. Of course, one doesn’t need a Ouija board to do that - Satan has all sorts of tools at his disposal…

Well, that is pretty creepy. Although as a child, my friends and I played with the board multiple times. Not knowing it was ‘dangerous’ or ‘evil’. Nothing ever happened to us. And if anything were to happen, you’d think it would. I mean, with a bunch of vulnerable kids and all.

Sure - my siblings and I played with one when we were kids too, and nothing happened to us. I don’t think anyone is saying that playing with a Ouija board will result in spontaneous combustion. The point is that the Ouija board is just one tool that can be used to open the door to a dark world. Of course, one doesn’t need a Ouija board to do that - Satan has all sorts of tools at his disposal…

I have never used or ever want to look at an Ouija board, but I always thought there was a certain way to use it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.