Called to have a large family; also called to be a priest; also called to be President

I feel a strong calling to get married and have a very large family. How could I have a family and then take that first step of becoming a priest, when married men cannot currently become priests in the Latin church?

And beyond that, I feel called to be a prolific filmmaker and singer. I also feel strongly called in prayer to be President for 3 terms-something that is also impossible under current law (putting the unlikeliness of such a scenario aside)

I am praying the Rosary and other forms of prayer, and rather than getting rid of these silly ideas, these convictions are just growing stronger. I feel like a crazy person, like I am overambitious with some sort of thirst for power. Please don’t laugh at me, criticize me, or put me down- but please do help me to shed some light on this. I have kept this secret and I think the best thing to do is to get it out in the open.

Summary: 1. I feel called to both have a large family and to become a priest in the Latin church, which is currently impossible. 2. I am terrified that God may have very big plans for me that are bigger than I ever wanted, hoped for, cared about, or know what to do with. Any help or suggestions would be most welcome. I am 23 years old. Thank you.

I should add that while there is intellectual confusion (how is this possible? who do you think you are?) there is a sense of deep-down peace when I think about the coexistence of all 3 of those things in my life: 1. Very large family and deaconate 2. President, 3. Priest

Ok firstly know I am saying this out if love. Have you asked what God wants you to do? You can’t have all three of these. I think some of these thing are the wants of your heart and not God. I am not saying this is bad but try and follow Gods path because this will make you happiest.

I’d first suggest that you humble yourself before God and lose the ego.

:clapping:

Hehe…that’s about what I expected. Good advice sir.

I hovered over the submit reply button for a moment but then decided to post. Someone saying they feel called to be a “prolific fillmaker and singer” and President of the USA, suggests a strong ego which doesn’t exactly mesh well with discerning a vocation to the priesthood. I’m not telling him not to discern a vocation, but to humble oneself before doing so. Healthy advice, in my opinion.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I hovered over the submit reply button for a moment but then decided to post. Someone saying they feel called to be a “prolific fillmaker and singer” and President of the USA, suggests a strong ego which doesn’t exactly mesh well with discerning a vocation to the priesthood. I’m not telling him not to discern a vocation, but to humble oneself before doing so. Healthy advice, in my opinion.

No, you guys are absolutely correct. Humility is a great virtue- a hugely important virtue.

The thing is, these things go way back. I have loved women for many years and am a very romantic guy at heart. Nothing would make me happier than a happy married life.

On the flip side, I have been attracted to the Catholic Church and all things Catholic for some time, and priests have honed in on me in the past, given me pamphlets, and etc. as a possible candidate for the priesthood. One priest was conflicted because he thought I would be a good priest, but then he said, “Your music,” in reference to my artistic talent- another seemingly competing call.

And lastly, I have been fascinated with the presidency for years, watching hours of videos of presidents speaking and imagining the sort of leader I would be- a shepherd for the flock, so to speak. Not for the fame or power of it.

I have asked God what He wants me to do, and He said He wanted me to follow His plan.

That is true

Let’s talk about the presidency thing. Do you know what it takes to get to that point? Have you looked into running for local office? Do you do political volunteer work? Do people know who you are? One isn’t simply called to be president, it takes years and years and years of work, and what are the odds? This country is not even 300 years old and how many men have been presidents?

Find out what your skills are and put them to use, be it in music, politics, etc. God will show you the way if you humble yourself before him.

Thank you for your advice-I agree the odds are highly unlikely. I will focus on extreme humility and continue to try and confirm if what I am discerning is really the path that God is showing me.

Joseph,

You might want to ask in prayer not just what you are being called to BE, but what it is you are to DO. Because the thing you are called to do might be accomplishable by any one of things you believe you are called to.

However, it would be very, very unusual, if not downright impossible for God to call you to three mutually exclusive vocations (small v or otherwise.) God just doesn’t work that way, or almost never. A true calling from God would not require you to abrogate Church authority. For, not only can you not be married and a priest, but you can not be a priest and hold public office, either. So the question is, what is it about these vocations that attracts you?

I think (opinion) that seeking spiritual direction would be wise here. Seek out advice from a priest whose opinion you trust and with whom you would feel comfortable sharing these questions.

May God bless you.

I got a few jokes I can make. But will abstain.

You are one person-- stick to one vocation

Great advice, thanks.

No, let’s hear them. Knock me down a couple notches!

Good idea.

:thumbsup:

So, marry, have a large family, become a Deacon, and sing.
Forget the presidency.

Seriously, pull back just a tad. You have been given good advice. God bless.

The other thought I can’t help having is the following: what if Church rules change in the future and married men are allowed in as priests?

In other words, it could be like this: 1. Get married and have kids, 2. Become a deacon, 3. Serve in some sort of public office, and 4. Become a priest (after the rule is changed)

I don’t think that possibility should be excluded necessarily.

LOL. Yes sir.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.