Called to the Priesthood and now i need your help!

Hey Everyone!!

I am dialoging with a Vocations Director at a seminary (Sacred Heart Major Seminary) and after going on several overnight discernment visits (3 so far, i plan to go this fall as well), and ever since i was young, i always felt that being a Priest is what i want to do. I was raised at the Altar (if you want to say that, as i started to Altar serve, at a very young age, when most young guys dont i think 5,6 or 7 years old). I don't care for much else in life, i want to Preach CHRIST to the ends of the earth, and to bring the beautiful truths of our Faith to everyone, I want to brings souls to CHRIST, TO Offer the PERFECT SACRIFICE OF HOLY MASS, and to Absolve people from their sins (all with the power of the holy spirit). I have been told several times that i would make a good Priest (which gave me very good feeling butterflies in my tummy :o:D). I also "came out of the closet" (not the homosexual thing, but i told my friends, as im still in high school that i want to become a Priest) as it was a scary thing to do, as now most people know, but on that day, i felt so good, and so peaceful, and so happy, (it was like bliss). The first time i think i mentioned becoming a Priest is when i was (5,6 or 7???:confused::confused:) and my parents have told me that i always was telling them growing up that this is what i want to do. My parents are in 110% support of my descision and i plan to become a Religous as well. I dont want to become a Priest for myself, as whats the use? I would get great joy at SAYING MASS, and Hearing Confessions!!. I feel a great tug on my heart and it gets progressively stronger. In fact, i want to Marry and give my heart to JESUS AND HOLY MOTHER CHURCH. I have watched Fishers of men quite a few times, and it never gets old, and ive always felt this desire, this (i dont know what to label it, feeling :confused:)

In shor, sorry for making this thread so long, Ive had a few talks with the Vocations Director, i correspond with him VIA email as well, and he has told me that there is no doubt i am called to HOLY PRIESTHOOD. Now he said, my job is not to discern whether or noti am called, but as to what type of Priest (Diocescan or Religious), generally, how well can i trust it when a Vocations director says this to me?? And i feel it to, i feel as if i dont respond, i will have eternal regret :(

Can someone please answer this question as i need help, How much can i trust my Vocations Director and my Desires/feelings/call/heart??

Have you visited with any religious orders or does your particular spirituality seem to be in line with that of an established order? If you aren't particularly drawn toward an order, then you are likely called to be a diocesan priest.

Although, things may not go exactly as you plan. My last pastor started in a diocesan seminary but was forced out by a seminary director who did not see his call. So he (my pastor) joined an order where he finished seminary and was ordained. He served for several years with the religious but his call was to the diocesan priesthood so he eventually left the order and served as a diocesan priest (in a different seminary).

Vocation directors are trained to help you discern. You should trust what he says.
So obviously - you need to go to Christ in prayer and seek His will for you - in Diocesan work or within a religious order?

Peace
James

Trust him as much as you trust him:) haha. Good luck!

I love the fervor friend! But be sure to make decisions like these based on objective reasoning along with prayerful discernment with God. You would never want to marry a woman you only met a couple months before, so you wouldn't not become a Priest without carefully discerning for a while.

I am 17 and I too think I have a vocation to the priesthood. I was baptized this Easter so I am trying to let the zealousness die down so I can think with my mind not my emotions. But I am not trying to down play your call I will pray and I hope that your's is a calling from the Almighty.

Peace and Blessings brother!

[quote="mymamamary, post:1, topic:288571"]
Hey Everyone!!

I am dialoging with a Vocations Director at a seminary (Sacred Heart Major Seminary) and after going on several overnight discernment visits (3 so far, i plan to go this fall as well), and ever since i was young, i always felt that being a Priest is what i want to do. I was raised at the Altar (if you want to say that, as i started to Altar serve, at a very young age, when most young guys dont i think 5,6 or 7 years old). I don't care for much else in life, i want to Preach CHRIST to the ends of the earth, and to bring the beautiful truths of our Faith to everyone, I want to brings souls to CHRIST, TO Offer the PERFECT SACRIFICE OF HOLY MASS, and to Absolve people from their sins (all with the power of the holy spirit). I have been told several times that i would make a good Priest (which gave me very good feeling butterflies in my tummy :o:D). I also "came out of the closet" (not the homosexual thing, but i told my friends, as im still in high school that i want to become a Priest) as it was a scary thing to do, as now most people know, but on that day, i felt so good, and so peaceful, and so happy, (it was like bliss). The first time i think i mentioned becoming a Priest is when i was (5,6 or 7???:confused::confused:) and my parents have told me that i always was telling them growing up that this is what i want to do. My parents are in 110% support of my descision and i plan to become a Religous as well. I dont want to become a Priest for myself, as whats the use? I would get great joy at SAYING MASS, and Hearing Confessions!!. I feel a great tug on my heart and it gets progressively stronger. In fact, i want to Marry and give my heart to JESUS AND HOLY MOTHER CHURCH. I have watched Fishers of men quite a few times, and it never gets old, and ive always felt this desire, this (i dont know what to label it, feeling :confused:)

In shor, sorry for making this thread so long, Ive had a few talks with the Vocations Director, i correspond with him VIA email as well, and he has told me that there is no doubt i am called to HOLY PRIESTHOOD. Now he said, my job is not to discern whether or noti am called, but as to what type of Priest (Diocescan or Religious), generally, how well can i trust it when a Vocations director says this to me?? And i feel it to, i feel as if i dont respond, i will have eternal regret :(

Can someone please answer this question as i need help, How much can i trust my Vocations Director and my Desires/feelings/call/heart??

[/quote]

You trusted him when he said you were called to the priesthood. Why would you not trust him with this?

I will be praying for you.

I myself have been going down this road, although only for a few months now. I found one book that I found useful and instructive: Relgious Vocation: an unnecessary Mystery.

I have come to realize that Christ's call to religious life was a call to all men. You do not have to ask the question, "am I called" because yes, you are. But I must also conclude that all men are called to marriage. We see this in the way our very bodies are built. I have come to believe that God sets before us these two Goods, marriage and celibacy, and lets us freely choose our path. In this way I would agree that you do not need to discern whether or not you are called. You are. But you do need to discern what your desires are. I would encourage you to pray about, contemplate, and read about what authentic marriage means in the Church. Societies view of marriage is incredibly distorted and we shouldn't think we are unaffected by that distortion. Further, don't be afraid about reading about and seeking to understand marriage. Studying and recognizing the true goodness of, and our calling to marriage has greatly strengthened my desire for religious life.

I would say, Trust your vocations director, but don't be afraid to ask questions. Even if they sound ridiculous.

And always remember to pray: Veni Sancte Spiritus.

Well…look at the example of St. Paul.

He was called by Christ…yet he humbly submitted himself to the Apostles (in Gal 1 and 2).

And in Acts 13, before he went on his first missionary journey…he was ordained…he was sent…he was found worthy.

The HS works through others to help you in your discernment…so trust in your vocations director.

Oh, He is a excellent Priest, i have no problems with him, im just asking

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.