Calling all deacons

The USCCB web site has added you to them!

www.usccb.org/deacon

Thanks for the info. There have been many asking questions about the diaconate on these forums. This site has all of the local diocese directors, so those who are interested can contact the program nearest them. Those who do not have a program in their diocese can usually find one not too far away.

God bless

last 3 dioceses I lived in had shut down diaconate formation programs because of bad teaching and other abuses. all three are trying to rebuild this, also lay ministry formation, from the ground up, but it is slow going. we have not had new deacons here for several years. heyl, Suzy, howz it going?

[quote=Detroit Sue]The USCCB web site has added you to them!

www.usccb.org/deacon
[/quote]

I notice there’s a video on the site ofr wives of deacons, but I’m wondering why women can’t be deacons themselves?

[quote=didymus]I notice there’s a video on the site ofr wives of deacons, but I’m wondering why women can’t be deacons themselves?
[/quote]

The Diaconate is part of Holy Orders. Men are ordained by the laying on of hands.

I’ve never felt the need to be a deacon. That’s my husband’s vocation. My vocation is to be his wife and mother to our kids.

Thanks Sue!

[quote=didymus]I notice there’s a video on the site ofr wives of deacons, but I’m wondering why women can’t be deacons themselves?
[/quote]

The history doesn’t support it. There is zero evidence that the women called deaconess ever recieved Holy Orders or excercised the same ministry as Ordained Deacons.

Check out this web site. It’s a Protestant website, but the history is correct.

reformedonline.com/view/reformedonline/deacon.htm

Brenden is right of course. However, many deacon’s wives have their own ministries: CCD, R.C.I.A, Etc. Some minister with their husbands: Marriage Encounter, marriage prep classes,ETC. Most couples in our class were older with no young children and the wives were very involved in ministry themselves.

God bless

[quote=Deacon Tony560]Brenden is right of course. However, many deacon’s wives have their own ministries: CCD, R.C.I.A, Etc. Some minister with their husbands: Marriage Encounter, marriage prep classes,ETC. Most couples in our class were older with no young children and the wives were very involved in ministry themselves.

God bless
[/quote]

Thanks for making that a little more clear than I did, Deacon Tony. In my husband’s ordination class, there was more than one wife who wanted to be ordained with her husband, which was very distressing to the rest of us. Of course most of us have some ministry, it just is not Holy Orders. Somehow, that line has to be demarked, becuse it gets very fuzzy sometimes.

The wives from my class made it clear that the diocese was not getting two for one.

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.