CALLING ALL NON_CATHOLICS --of the Protestant variety!!

Hi All of my fellow Protestants:wave:

I have heard sooo many times about how we have 33,000 different denoms and we all believe something different.

I would like to hear from all of you guys as to what church you attend(denom) and what your church beliefs are.:thumbsup:

I would like to think we are not all different but we do share the same beliefs. At least more then people think we do.

For example----
communion
baptism as far as requirement for salvation
salvation
coonfirmation-what does it mean in your church

I cant think of all of them. Im sorry Im in a hurry to get to church:D If I forgot something please add it in.:thumbsup:

I do not want this turned into a debate please. I just want to see how much in common we do have and put some of these myths to rest.:wink:

Any Catholics that enter this realm could you please refrain from responding. I know it might be difficult but Im really just looking from response from Protestants. Thank you in advance:D

What if you dont have a church or belief? :smiley:

Hi AllforHim, you must distinquish between core beliefs and minor beliefs.

Core to Catholics and all true Protestants alike,

I Cor 15:3-4

Trinity

Jesus fully man and fully God

Jesus eternal Son of God, uncreated, creator, sinless human nature

Resurrection and Death of Jesus

full agreement on first eight ecumenical councils

Core to all true Protestants

sames as above.

five Solas – bible alone, grace, faith, ???

Where protestants disagree “minors”

When will Jesus return? pre, post, mid, almill, trib, mill.

dispensationalism vs covenant theology

spiritual gifts, sign gifts, speaking in tongues

day of worship

how man sacraments, foot washing, baptism, lord’s table

real prescense, symbolic, spiritual ( lutherans ).

forms of worship – high church, low church

Most protestants have no problem with worshipping in any other protestant church.

**All the differences are based on our individual church traditions **which dictates how we read the bible. Those from a Lutheran background will tend to see a “real prescense” in John 6 whereas those from a Baptist tradition will likely read John 6 as figurative.

The catholic argument is the problem is our belief in “Bible Alone”, this is not the case. Our problem is differring human traditions that we get from our leaders.

Forgot Calvinism vs those who believe in Free will.

Hi,
Well then you are in the right forum. Many people here can answer any question you may have.:smiley: I might not be one of them but i will try.

If you have a question you do not see answered start your own thread and ask the question like I do all the time.

Feel fre to send me a private message ans ask me questions.:smiley:

Welcome:thumbsup:

Who gets to decide which is which? And your list is incomplete.

Any Catholics that enter this realm could you please refrain from responding. I know it might be difficult but Im really just looking from response from Protestants. Thank you in advance:D

You’d have better luck posting this on a Protestant discussion group.:slight_smile: By definition, every denomination differs in one or more doctrines and practices from every other denomination. Peace be with you.

it seems silly that we have so many denominations… most churches i have been too all believe in the roman road, the ‘prayer’, baptism is an outward expression of you proclaiming you believe in Christ, one saved always saved, the bible is all you ever need… but i guess one thing that always bothered me is as to why all of the denominations think they are better than the other and constantly trying to get you to join their church?!?

Hi!

I belong to a Lutheran national church in Europe.

Communion: One of two sacraments. Everyone gets both bread and wine. We believe that it is truly Jesus’ body and blood and at the same time bread and wine. I personally find this in analogy with the Word becoming flesh - Jesus is both human and divine.

Baptism: The second of two sacraments. Most members are baptized as children. We believe that baptism is a requirement for salvation together with faith. If one who has faith, but isn’t baptized, dies, we trust that God is not bound by sacraments and that He can see what the unbaptized believer intended to do had he not died.

Salvation: A person is not justified because he believes, faith is not a human action or work. We are justified by grace through faith alone. (Even faith itself is a gift from God). This is a declared righteousness (justification). At the same moment, the process of being made righteous (sanctification) begins. Good works are seen as the natural result of being justified, not the cause of it.

Confirmation: This is not a sacrament. In the 1700s, confirmation was introduced by the King as a teaching-programme designed to educate people about their Christian faith and urge them to become active Christians whos lives were affected by their faith. One needed an “inner rebirth” to be a true Christian, so the confirmation was an act of confessing one’s faith. Later, however, confirmation changed to become an action of blessing. The educational aspect remained.

Dialogs are held between the Catholic Church and the Lutheran church which I belong to. It is a major “culturecollition” for me to enter catholic.com, where the attitude against non-catholics is generally far more negative than what I have ever experienced. But I guess that non-Catholics are hostile against Catholics as well.

Frost.

Hi,
I agree. I always thought the same thing. That is why I started the thread to find out.

I guess churches thinking they are better is a human trait. We tend to look at us and not HIM.:frowning: Oh well, Im glad to see we are on the same page.:smiley:

Hi,

My church does not believe in Real presence but other than that, I believe in everything else you said.:smiley:

Everything mentioned is what my church believes , as we too believe in the real presence

But what does each church *mean *by Real Presence? :wink:

With all due respect, I think this poll is flawed because it does not take into consideration the following: Even if all 33,000 Protestant denominations could find 1,2,3,4 or more things in common the point is, even if it is one point of disagreement, it is enough to make them divide and make them prefer one church over the other. I can (kind of) understand becoming attached to a particular local congregation because of fellowship, but when a Lutheran moves to a new town, does he look for Baptist or Methodist or Assembly of God or Pentecostal or Episcopalian or Presbyterian churches – or vice versa? Why not? Because they are divided by doctrine. Not in 33,000 different ways, of course, but all it takes is one difference. Many (though not all) Protestant denominations have been born in exactly this way. So who’s right?

I don’t think the root of the problem is in the mere fact that there are 33,000 different denominations - for example, say there is only a variation of 10 core beliefs among 33,000 different churches, it is STILL going against the prayer of Jesus that we be one - it is still going against letters of Paul that continually refer to us as one body. You can not be one body if you are divided against yourself, even if its only 1 division, let alone 10, or 15, or 20, or however many we are up to at this point. I don’t understand the need of breaking our faith into so many fragments - it just leaves more cracks for the Devil to work his way through us.

I know thats not the question at hand - just want to make that clear, because its not the number of divisions that is the true problem, it is the division itself.

Peace

Hi Fidelis and guidedheart,

Thank you for your input, but your info. has not really helped this particular thread. Maybe you guys can start another thread about that. Otherwise I am really just looking for Protestant input. Thanks:D :thumbsup:

Understood :slight_smile: But I think my input is helpful as it worth making a clarification so that what was being discussed wasn’t entirely irrelevant to what the actual “33,000 denominations” issue is really about. Otherwise, you are all just commiserating or, worse, wasting time discussing something that’s entirely besides the point!

Having said that, I *will *refrain from further comment on this thread. :slight_smile:

A Protestant-only thread on a Catholic forum? :confused:

Really! Can you imagine the reaction should a Catholic be so presumptuous in a Protestant forum??

Let’s go over to CARM and start a Catholics only “Why There Is Only One Visible Church and The Catholic Church Is It” thread and see if no non-Catholics comment before the thread gets kaboshed (just kidding).
:rotfl:

Oops! Sorry – I promised to not interupt. Mea culpa.

yes it seems a bit off to me, i’m protestant but enjoy this forum very much as i’m attracted to and appreciate the rc faith ie i want to learn. do all protestants feel like this on this forum? if not, then why are you guys here? seriously i’m a bit :confused: myself!

i love to learn about all faiths and have great discussions on other forums (i know some lovely muslim mums on a mothers forum and they’ve enlightened me no end).

anyway i don’t think its right to have a protestant only thread on a catholic forum. not right at all.

sorry if that offends.

Thank you tigerlily, as a Protestant, for affirming my :confused: . I thought I had entered the Twilight Zone.

Let’s go over to CARM and start a Catholics only “Why There Is Only One Visible Church and The Catholic Church Is It” thread and see if no non-Catholics comment before the thread gets kaboshed (just kidding).

You could qualify it with “For Catholic Eyes Only!!!” That would get a lot of attention.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.