Calling all Orders

I am looking for a list of the charisms of the different religious orders.

I am hoping this thread will yield a substantial list of charisms for the different religious orders. This can happen by compiling a list with each reply or someone providing one.

All that is needed is the order name and the charism.

I’ll start.

Carmelite-prayer

Thanks to all those that reply! :thumbsup:
God bless you,
Jen

Heralds of the Gospel - perfection

“Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect” (Mt 5:48).

Dominicans - “to pray, to bless, to intruct” - Preaching, (and having like the COOLEST HABITS EVER [esp when the black cloak is worn ovger the scapular]. though a nod has to be given to plain diocisean cassock with the wide cincture)

Jesuits - When i was discrning a vocation with them (since realized i need to be diocisean not SJ) the voc. director said their charism was discernment and utility, that is finding out what needs done and doing it. Though i think their charism is “discerning” basketball teams and “utilizing” them to win…

Franciscans - ministry to the poor?

Benedictines - prayer and education?

The Carmelite charism - “to meditate on the Law of the Lord day and night, and to watch in prayer” (Rule of St. Albert, 1207)

Timothy of Mary, ocds

Benedictines is “Ora et labore”, Prayer and Work.

Passionists:
Devotion to the sufferings of Christ.

Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart:
Serving the poorest of the poor

Vocationists- vocations, divine union

Carmelites- running faster than Ahab :smiley:

Christian Brothers and Salesians are both dedicated to education, especially of boys, Sacred Heart sisters and Ursulines were founded especially to educate girls, especially poor girls.

I always thought Jesuits were the premier education order. Story they tell at SIL’s Jesuit school: 3 saints were present at the manger to adore the Infant Jesus, St. Francis brought the lambs for him to play with, St. Bernard communed with Mary about her experience, while St. Ignatius took Joseph aside and asked him: have you given any thought to the boy’s education?

Okay aparently the benedictines are also linked pretty heavilly to exorcism…

[quote=Joysong]Passionists:
Devotion to the sufferings of Christ.

Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart:
Serving the poorest of the poor
[/quote]

I went to Penn State and one of the priests(I think he was a benedictine) up there often took trips to the Passionist monastery in Latrobe.

The Carthusians are more solitary monks. They spend a great deal of time alone in their room or cell praying and working. They have very little if any contact with the outside world.

[quote=Brain]Dominicans - “to pray, to bless, to intruct” - Preaching, …

[/quote]

Actually, for the Dominicans it is “Laudare, Benedicere, Praedicare” (To Praise, to bless, to preach).

A second one is “Veritas” (Truth).

The third one is “Contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere” (To contemplate and share the fruits of contemplation)

I often summarize the charisms of three orders this way:
Benedictines - Judgment
Franciscans - Poverty
Dominicans - Truth (light of science)

See with what judgment Benedict ordered his ship; see with what perfection and order of poverty Francis ordered his ship, …Now look at the ship of your father Dominic, … he took the light of science in order to extirpate the errors which had arisen in his time, thus taking on him the office of My only-begotten Son, the Word. …

The Dialogue of St. Catherine of Siena (p. 122)
catholicprimer.org/catherine/catherine_dialog.pdf

hurst

[quote=hurst]Actually, for the Dominicans it is “Laudare, Benedicere, Praedicare” (To Praise, to bless, to preach).

A second one is “Veritas” (Truth).

The third one is “Contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere” (To contemplate and share the fruits of contemplation)

I often summarize the charisms of three orders this way:
Benedictines - Judgment
Franciscans - Poverty

Dominicans - Truth (light of science)

See with what judgment Benedict ordered his ship; see with what perfection and order of poverty Francis ordered his ship, …Now look at the ship of your father Dominic, … he took the light of science in order to extirpate the errors which had arisen in his time, thus taking on him the office of My only-begotten Son, the Word. …

The Dialogue of St. Catherine of Siena (p. 122)
catholicprimer.org/catherine/catherine_dialog.pdf

hurst
[/quote]

Thank you Hurst for the link to The Dialogues especially…I was educated in College by Dominican nuns and the mottos stay with me to this day at a ripe young 60!

Thank you…Peace…Barb

[quote=BarbaraTherese]Thank you Hurst for the link to The Dialogues especially…I was educated in College by Dominican nuns and the mottos stay with me to this day at a ripe young 60!

Thank you…Peace…Barb
[/quote]

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

hurst

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.