Calling God a Dim-Wit

Just wondering if blasphemy is forgivable. Sometimes when I get really emotionally distressed I’ll curse God, call him dim-witted, and tell him that he is a jerk who will probably send me to hell anyhow because he plays favorites. I know that’s wrong, but I was just wondering if God forgives what I call him. Thanks.

God has no limit to what he will forgive, if asked.

Also, being emotionally distressed could effect one’s reasoning enough to diminish one’s culpability and make what might be a grave sin into a venial sin.

Thanking and praising God more when you are calm and collected may help you to break your habit of calling him names when distressed.

[quote=Madaglan]Just wondering if blasphemy is forgivable. Sometimes when I get really emotionally distressed I’ll curse God, call him dim-witted, and tell him that he is a jerk who will probably send me to hell anyhow because he plays favorites. I know that’s wrong, but I was just wondering if God forgives what I call him. Thanks.
[/quote]

God is always prepared to forgive us. We must acknowledge our sin, repent, and ask His forgiveness. If we think “Oh! God knows me, He loves me, He will forgive me,” and we do not repent and make a resolution to stop offending Him, we are not going to be forgiven.

We also need to confront the way we relate to God. Perhaps you should ask yourself why you call God dim-witted, a jerk, playing favorites, etc. This is really trying to bring God to our level, instead of trying to be elevated by His Grace.

Most of the time, when we are emotionally distressed, we are the ones at fault. Not God. Yes, other people may be contributing to our distress, but it is how we react to situations that cause us stress.

When you find yourself in a distressing situation, pause. Take some deep breaths, letting the air in slowly and breathing out as slowly as possible. Then try thanking God for allowing you to experience this distress, so that you can know a little of the distress Jesus experienced in the Agony in the Garden.

[quote=Madaglan]Just wondering if blasphemy is forgivable. Sometimes when I get really emotionally distressed I’ll curse God, call him dim-witted, and tell him that he is a jerk who will probably send me to hell anyhow because he plays favorites. I know that’s wrong, but I was just wondering if God forgives what I call him. Thanks.
[/quote]

Well, if you sincerely ask God to send you to hell enough times, He may just grant your request on principle. I mean, He isn’t going to force you into Heaven if you don’t want it.

“A Dim Wit!” …I never heard that one before.

Rejection of the Holy Spirit is the the only sin i understand clearly to be unforgiveable. But is not suicide also?

Anyway, no blashpeming is not unforgiveable, Christ states this himself.

[/quote]

All sins are forgivable. Blasphemy is considered grave matter, so it should be confessed in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

“Rejection of the Holy Spirit” is also defined as “final impenitance”, in other words, dying without repenting of mortal sin. Suicide has generally been regarded as “unforgivable” because it was assumed that there would be no opportunity for repentance. However, the Church has never taught this dogmatically. Indeed, the Catechism states the following regarding suicide:

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. the Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

[/quote]

Insulting God is certainly not something any Christian should do, although anger and severe stress can definitely twist any person’s judgment. Of course, God can forgive even such offenses, but this knowledge of His mercy should not be used as an excuse to repeatedly offend or abuse God in such a way.

Gerry :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.