Calling in sick on purpose a Mortal Sin?

Hi. I’ve called in sick many times in my life, I’m not proud to admit that more often than not Im healthy and just feeling to lazy to work. Is this mortal sins?
I mean, I feel like a complete jerk when I do this and I have this bad feeling in my stomach afterwards, is this signs of Mortal sin?

What do you people think?

God Bless!

There are three requirements for a mortal sin:

1. It must be a serious matter
  2. There must be full knowledge
  3. The must be full consent

In my opinion, this is not all that serious so I do not think it would qualify as a mortal sin. It is sinful to lie though so I advise you to not do this again.

It’s most likely not mortal in that it isn’t grave matter.

However, the circumstances could make it grave matter if you calling in sick caused your company some major problem/setback or resulted in major problems to your family because of your laziness (e.g your boss finds out so you get fired).

You should definitely discuss this with your confessor.

As long as you have the PTO in your bank there’s no problem. People at my job do it routinely. I work with the terminally ill so it’s just understood sometimes you just need a day off… Even if I didn’t though, sometimes you just need a day.

If you need a personal day from time to time, that is okay.

I would say it’s not a mortal sin, but a venial sin, but mostly because you lied about why you were staying home (telling them you were sick when in fact you weren’t).

I have called in sick before due to a family emergency, but once a year or so, I have had to take what I call a “mental health” or rest day.

:thumbsup: This one.

Nobody can answer that question not knowing the full details. Some might say it does not seem like grave matter, thinking it wrong, but a small lie. Others might say it is a mortal sin if you were paid for the days work out of the sick pay benefit of your company, because it could be construed that you stole that money.

What does your conscience tell you? The answer to my question will answer your question.

Your examination of conscience during the night prayer should give you a clue.

In order to commit a mortal sin one needs grave matter, full knowledge and deliberate consent.

As to if calling in sick when one is not sick – in itself - in the matter itself ? Certainly there is injustice and lying involved. But I find it difficult to say in a general way.

For example if your job is the fry guy at the local fast food who already has too many employees to do the job – that can be certainly different than if one is a particularly trained heart surgeon scheduled to work to save a mans life…

Discuss your particular questions in confession -the Priest can assist you.

Venial sin.

Yes, this is probably the best advise :slight_smile:
I am of course aware that its at best a venial sin and that I shouldnt be doing this, but it so tempting sometimes :frowning:

Im not Health personel or anything that may risk for Peoples well being if not showing up at work, but it can be hard to appoint other employes to take my shift if Im calling in sick and in some ekstravagant cases some might have to work dobble shifts.

I can see the point of swindling Money I shouldnt posses when Im deliberatly dont work. It can be seen as a grave matter. If this is the sort of thing who jepardise my eternity I`ll rather show up at work.

I will diffinetly talk this over With my priest when I got the chance.

Thanks for all inputs:)
God Bless you all!

There are a number of ways to look at this. I suggest two:
(1) As many here have hinted first decide for yourself from details only you know whether it is a grave matter. Some have mentioned you are sinning against justice. I would agree, theft is what particularly comes to my mind. Only serious theft is grave. How would you judge that? Well, have you been taking more sickie days than is customary in your country? Is the amount significant…if you would not ne prepared to ask for a day’s leave without pay instead then that might suggest it is significant.

(2) Think Sin rather than sins.
Trying to minimalistically weigh up what we can get away with and still not fail in love is prob not going to make one a better lover of God in the long run is it?

Perhaps think about your state of soul rather that all these individual “sins” reveal to us. You mention laziness. That is probably the key area that needs to be handed over to God and thought about rather than all these itsy bitsy solipsistic 'sins" we distract ourselves with. Acedia (rather than sloth) is probably the better word as sloth implies physical laziness when often the real issue is ennuie or spiritual grief (disguised as boredom or even by frenetic workaholic activity).

But I don’t really know. I am just trying to spark new paths for your spiritual growth that you may not have averted to. I don’t think mere taking a sickie is of any long-term significance in itself. But such a tendency may well point to something much deeper and significant which attention may help you grow. Good luck.

CCC 2484 The gravity of a lie is measured against the nature of the truth it deforms, the circumstances, the intentions of the one who lies, and the harm suffered by its victims. If a lie in itself only constitutes a venial sin, it becomes mortal when it does grave injury to the virtues of justice and charity.

CCC 2482 “A lie consists in speaking a falsehood with the intention of deceiving.” The Lord denounces lying as the work of the devil: “You are of your father the devil, . . . there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”

CCC 2486 Since it violates the virtue of truthfulness, a lie does real violence to another. It affects his ability to know, which is a condition of every judgment and decision. It contains the seed of discord and all consequent evils. Lying is destructive of society; it undermines trust among men and tears apart the fabric of social relationships.

A “bad feeling” in your stomach is a good sign that you are violating your own conscience, but mortal sin? I really don’t think so. Are you cut off from God over it? If not, it is not mortal sin. I think the better question is whether this is sin. Forget the mortal part. Sin is bad enough and is something we are to avoid. If you had to lie or deceive, then it is sin. Would you have felt comfortable being open?

Besides honest, the second question is one of stealing. This is not a question that can be addressed without knowing of the sick policy. Is one paid for calling in sick? Is it allowed to used sick time for “mental health” days, “personal” days or does one need to be sick? There are simply too many variables to consider. Talking to a confessor and listening to one’s own conscience, assuming you are making the effort to form that conscience and not kill it, are the best things one can do.

I am a nurse, and I can tell you firsthand how upsetting it is to be at the end of a long, hard shift, only to be told an hour before quitting time that your relief has called out. In my case, it meant that I had to work from 2 pm until 6:30 am the next morning. Sometimes I had to be back at work that same day at 2 pm. It is a real hardship on those who have to work without the presence of that person. It doesn’t matter, really, if it is in the medical field or not, it is still something that usually has a negative impact on the work environment. Think about yourself–how would you feel if you had to work one person short? I’d say be honest and tell your boss that you need a mental health day. Be willing to forego payment for that day. Bosses can be quite reasonable, if given honest information. The boss might agree with your desire to stay home if your focus will be affected by whatever is bothering you. Honesty is the best policy. Be honest as much as you can be. :thumbsup:

Yes, definitely this one, as bad habits are serious issues, and cumulatively your ‘sickies’ can be the cause of much additional expense and inconvenience.

The Elder captures this to the tee and the CCC describes it for what it is, a lie. It leads to another, then another. Somewhere in between the lie you kill off a little of yourself (character) and this also hurts others at work and in general. Then its a worry about who sees you that day too, someone from work spots you at the store leisurely shopping. Its a lie.

good question-good input, thanks everyone.

I might take a slighter harsher view of this than many replies here. First off, the OP says he/she’s done this “many times.” While I agree there are occasions where a person just needs a day off from the grind, aren’t these allowances in place for actual sickness? What if everyone in the company did this? Are you shirking your responsibility while others cover for you? Laziness is hardly something to be proud of. Isn’t this one of the 7 Deadly Sins?
The fact the OP feels badly about it speaks of guilty conscience, that he/she knows this is wrong. Plus, let’s face it - this is a lie. You are not at all sick.
It’s at the very least a venial sin. The one element in question here for me is “grave matter.” I don’t know enough about the situation to comment. As was advised, a talk with the priest would clarify and I’m sure give the poster some needed insight.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.