Calling

How can someone tell if they have a calling from God to be a priest or a nun? Like if someone wanted to be a priest or nun, could they just go and do it or do they need to have a calling?

/*

This may help: Do I have a vocation?

Then go to www.vocationplacement.org.

God bless you!

*/

You have to put out everything and everybody, including some propaganda “INCLUDING” the web sites mentioned and spend some time out in the desert to see if it’s a calling, a true calling, or just some pressure for you to do so from outside agenda’s as mentioned.

I was called, long ago, to find now, the field is now going to take some outside work before it’s ready for me, and some inside work for me for it, and I’m happy I waited now, for I have to be part of that work, but others, the majority, if they feel the calling, should not hesitate regardless of outside pressure to go contrary…

[quote="HNA444, post:1, topic:198097"]
How can someone tell if they have a calling from God to be a priest or a nun? Like if someone wanted to be a priest or nun, could they just go and do it or do they need to have a calling?

[/quote]

you find out by going through a discernment period, during which you do alot of praying, and spend alot of alone time with God,
it's also highly recommended to go on religious retreats, visit orders you might be interested in,
and it's also important to have a spiritual director who can help you and talk with you during your discernment period, that should be your first step, even if you only have a small interest in the religious life.

but one thing you should not do is talk to anyone about your vocational interests(except your spiritual director and any orders you visit) until you have actually decided what order you want to join(if you decide to at all anyways), not even your closest family or friends, who would actually be the worst people you can tell, the reason being, you do not want anyone influencing or encouraging you one way or the other, the call should come from God alone, and your loved ones interfering can cause alot of stress and confusion.

to actually know if you have "the calling"...well, you just know, it may hit you before you join an order, or after, but you will just know,
you do not have to wait till you are sure you have a calling before you join an order, sometimes you never really know until you do,

but if you think you may have a calling, it's highly recommended you do not go out on any dates, it would only be a distraction from your possible vocation and could quite easily kill the vocation altogether.

if you want some really good advice on how to go about discerning your vocation, along with what to do and what not to do, listen to these 2 sermons -
audiosancto.org/sermon/20060903-The-Religious-Life.html
audiosancto.org/sermon/20040829-Kissing-a-Vocation-Goodbye-6th-and-9th-Commandments.html

ok, hope this helps, take care.

It is interesting that at my university(a secular one), I have been advised by a couple of people to take a career-placement test after mentioning my desire to become a priest, to which I said something like, "But I have so many interests!" A lot of people seem to think that a calling to the priesthood is nothing more than a career-choice, which I think is very wrong.

[quote="Young_Thinker, post:5, topic:198097"]
It is interesting that at my university(a secular one), I have been advised by a couple of people to take a career-placement test after mentioning my desire to become a priest, to which I said something like, "But I have so many interests!" A lot of people seem to think that a calling to the priesthood is nothing more than a career-choice, which I think is very wrong.

[/quote]

I agree. But, what are some signs that God is calling ? Is it noticeable, or do you think it's something that some can maybe not see so clearly and miss their calling?

A vocational calling is from God, and every person on earth has a calling. Whether it be to marriage, single life, or religious life... God desires to lead every heart to Himself through the vocation He knows will fulfill it. Therefore, technically, every life goes through "discernment". Don't be afraid to discern, it is not a commitment, it is simply a listening and opening of oneself to God's will for him.

I do not agree with a lot of the advice offered here. First of all, God Himself decides how the calling will be made known to you... often in extraordinary ways. When discerning, do not be afraid to talk about it and discuss it. As a Poor Clare aspirant, I know that it was only by discussing my vocation with others that I came to understand it. Time and time again God led me through other people to the next step in my vocation, and for that I shall ever be thankful to Him and the people He has put into my life.

But most of all, pray. Pray, pray, pray. Pray for charity, guidance, peace, sanctity... open yourself to God's wisdom and make a habit of discussing things with Him or your guardian angel (prayer journals are helpful for this). If you ask, you shall receive. If you seek, you shall find. Trust that God is present in your life and ask for what you need. Do not overlook your personal desires, but rather, accept them and offer them to God. Perhaps He has already placed in your heart a strong inclination to the vocation He wills for you.

God bless you,
Sadie
seekingavocation.blogspot.com/

[quote="HNA444, post:6, topic:198097"]
I agree. But, what are some signs that God is calling ? Is it noticeable, or do you think it's something that some can maybe not see so clearly and miss their calling?

[/quote]

Sorry to double post... I have to answer your question. If you ask God to guide you to your calling, He isn't going to let you trip and fall into the wrong one. Prayer resolves many issues, and this is one. Pray that God will guide you, pray when you make decisions, and keep an open heart. While discernment differs for everyone, and faith in God is the key point to remaining on the right path, there are some signs of a calling.

When I was in the early discernment process, someone introduced me to this site: sspxasia.com/Documents/Society_of_Saint_Pius_X/Vocations/Vocations.htm. On it is a list of signs of a vocation. They are out of date, but still helpful:

1.  A desire to have a religious vocation, together with the conviction that God is calling you. This desire is generally most strongly felt when the soul is calm, after Holy Communion, and in time of retreat.

2.  A growing attraction for prayer and holy things in  general, together with a longing for a hidden life and a desire to be more closely united to God.

3.  To have a hatred of the world, a conviction of its hollowness and insufficiency to satisfy the soul.  This feeling is generally strongest in the midst of worldly amusement.

4.  A fear of sin, into which it is easy to fall, and a longing to escape from the dangers and temptations of the world.

5.  It is sometimes the sign of a vocation when a person fears that God may call them; when he prays not to have it and cannot banish the thought from his mind.  If the vocation is sound, it will soon give place to an attraction, through Father Lehmkulhl says: “One need not have a natural inclination for the religious life; on the contrary, a divine vocation is compatible with a natural repugnance for the state.”

6.  To have zeal for souls. To realize something of the value of an immortal soul, and to desire to co-operate in their salvation.

7.  To desire to devote our whole life to obtain the conversion of one dear to us.

8.  To desire to atone for our own sins or those of others, and to fly from the temptations which we feel too weak to resist.

9.  An attraction for the state of virginity.

10. The happiness which the thought of religious life brings, its spiritual helps, its peace, merit and reward.

11. A longing to sacrifice oneself and abandon all for the love of Jesus Christ, and to suffer for His sake.

12. A willingness in one not having any dowry, or much education, to be received in any capacity, is a proof of a real vocation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.