Calls to prioritise Christian refugees are discriminatory – Australia's grand mufti

Calls for Christians to be given priority among Syrian refugees are discriminatory and reinforce a sense Muslims “are always going to be vilified in the Australian community”, the country’s highest Sunni authority has said.
Dr Ibrahim Abu Mohamed, Australia’s grand mufti, said choosing refugees based on religion or ethnicity was the very kind of sectarian thinking “that got Iraq and Syria into the problems they’re facing now”.

“When it comes to catastrophes such as these we should be prioritizing human beings rather than prioritizing a certain religion,” he told Guardian Australia.

theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/sep/09/calls-to-prioritise-christian-refugees-are-discriminatory-australias-grand-mufti

Australia is a sovereign nation. It can accept who it sees fit. And Muslims refugees carry with them a religion counter to the values of free Western people; that should never have been allowed into the West in such mass numbers.

So? Everybody discriminates hundreds of time a day, every day. Besides, “The very purpose of law is to classify (discriminate among) people for different treatment; for example, burglary statutes distinguish burglars from non-burglars; victims distinguish between suspects in a police line-up; jurists distinguish the guilty from the innocent; ordinary people distinguish vanilla from chocolate; and diners distinguish between a good restaurant and a bad one.” – Lino A. Graglia, Professor in Constitutional Law, University of Texas School of Law, Austin.
Australia is simply discriminating between those it perceives likely to be bringing in problems and those who are not.

*I, * (name of ship’s commanding officer) * , of the * (name of ship) * , from * (port of origin) * , do solemnly, sincerely, and truly (swear) that I have caused the surgeon of said vessel sailing therewith, or the surgeon employed by the owners thereof, to make a physical and oral examination of each and all of the aliens named in the foregoing Lists or Manifest Sheets, * (number of sheets) * in number, and that from the report of said surgeon and from my own investigation, I believe that no one of said aliens is an idiot, or imbecile, or a feeble-minded person, or insane person, or a pauper, or is likely to become a public charge, or is afflicted with tuberculosis or with a loathsome or dangerous contagious disease, or is a person who has been convicted of, or who admits having committed a felony or other crime or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, or is a polygamist or one admitting belief in the practice of polygamy, or an anarchist, or under promise or agreement, expressed or implied, to perform labor in the United States, or a prostitute, or a woman or girl coming to the United States for the purpose of prostitution, or for any other immoral purpose, and that also, according to the best of my knowledge and belief, the information in said Lists or Manifests concerning each of said aliens named therein is correct and true in every respect. *
“Affidavit of Commanding Officer”, as required of each vessel carrying immigrants to the United States, during the immigration of the late 19th and early 20th century. If this isn’t discriminatory, what is?

If the grand mufti wants to eliminate discriminatory laws, perhaps he should start by returning to Saudi Arabia and preach in front of the holy rock that its laws are discriminatory. Perhaps other countries will respond in kind.

**Just my opinion, but the Christian refugees should be going to the Christian countries, they will
have that in common. Why are the Muslim refugees not going to Muslim countries
where they will have that in common?

Makes no sense to me that none of the Muslims are going and being accepted by any of the oil-rich Muslim countries.
Why are the Christian countries made to suddenly have to be the ones to accept all of these waves of Muslims
and not any of the Muslim countries? **

“Me against my brother; me and my brother against our father; me, my brother, and my father against our clan; me, my brother, my father, and our clan against the tribe.”

**I agree with you unstoppable ll, and I agree with Australia. Political correctness is dropping thousands and thousands of people in with European/Scandinavian people who have a whole different culture and way of living and believing. Any small country taking that big of a hit at one time will be changed forever. Groups need time to be slowly assimilated into a new culture.

The Christians are the ones that desperately need help and are being massacred for their religious beliefs. I think most of the Muslims want to get out for economic reasons, not because their lives are in danger.

The oil-rich Muslims don’t lift a finger to help their brother Muslims because in 5 A.D., Abdulla had his camel stolen by Hassan. So, they get a pass. The Christians therefore, are forced to be the charitable ones and take all these people in that they can’t afford, because “somebody has to”. I am normally a kind and charitable person, but it really bothers me that we Christians have to care more about all these Muslims than their own Muslims brothers do.

I know, I know, it is the Christian, charitable thing to do… give till it hurts and give even more until you have nothing left to give. What it looks more like are Christians being invaded by Muslims all over again, but this time, the Muslims don’t even have to pay an army or buy any ammo to do it.

I know my opinion is politically incorrect and there are people on CAF that aren’t going to like it, but I just don’t care any more, it’s my opinion.**

Government should focus on refugees’ needs, not their religion

The issue of prioritizing non-Muslim refugees from Syria and Iraq, particularly Christians and Yazidis​, has caused great controversy in Australia. The critics of this policy ask a very fair question: who decides which refugees are in the greater danger? But very often the same critics go ahead and make a decision anyway: Muslim refugees are more deserving because they are larger in number. Yet, the reason why non-Muslims make up a smaller percentage of the refugees is intrinsically linked to their motives for leaving: they are minorities.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has also been contradictory in his announcement of the government’s proposed increase of refugees, on the one hand favouring “persecuted” minorities, while denying that there would be any preferential treatment of Christians over Muslims. There have been some bizarre responses to the Abbott government’s proposal.

Read more: watoday.com.au/comment/refugees-suffering-more-important-than-religion-20150909-gjin31.html#ixzz3lLbTlyqf
Follow us: @watoday on Twitter | WAtoday on Facebook

@ Niall…

Government should focus on refugees’ needs, not their religion

they NEED the WEST to stop bombing with drones, arming ISIS, then forcing these people out of their country, then forcing other countries by black mail to have them, simple as.
there are more needs ,but I don’t think its the ones that are being pushed onto us.
my POV.

I didn’t write the article, I posted the link.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.